Covid 48: The Long March

Darzin

The NYT is no long daily publishing covid stats for NY and NYC.  We have to go digging on the CDC sites for them.

But I know covid is not exactly over, and certainly people getting sick from it, and dying from it, are certainly not over.

Still, the numbers are far lower than they had been, spring has arrived without the feared massive winter surge happening.  I have done two extended trips, including flight, back-to-back, one to Europe and back even, and never opened a test, or, thank goodness, had need of the covid meds we brought with us.  Fortunately, well deliberately, both trips were to climates where outdoors and much much ventilation are the name of the game.  Other than traveling, whether on train or plane, or if underground as with flamenco, we hardly wore masks at all.

Still wearing masks however, in shops and so on.  I love not having colds or flu!  I feel a lot more confident about 'normalizing' life again though, and it's such a relief.  But I/we are definitely among the privileged and fortunate in so many ways.  But I do feel a lot lighter, refreshed, and much livelier again, since both these trips proved one can do these things if one exercises some care and smarts.  I do hope there will be another booster going into the fall though.

Why we can't have nice things:

In a survey of 580 parents with children under the age of 18, about 26 percent reported that they misrepresented or lied about their children’s COVID-19 status, according to a study published Monday in the journal JAMA Network Open.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3887620-a-quarter-of-parents-lied-about-their-childrens-covid-19-status-study/

Britain says it's going to do a spring round of Covid boosters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-spring-booster-resources/a-guide-to-the-covid-19-spring-booster-2023

I wish the US would.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/health/covid-booster-older-immunocompromised.html

Britain and Canada have authorized another round of booster shots for older and immunocompromised citizens. So far, U.S. officials haven’t followed suit.

Edited by Zorral

On 3/31/2023 at 9:36 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Eh.  About 10% admitted to pollsters that they said their kids were vaccinated when they weren't.  A bunch of others admitted to telling lies about exposures and contact tracing etc.  And a bunch of others admitted to lies in the other direction.

Covid has nearly no effect on kids.  Worrying about this is a waste of time apart from edge cases where the common cold is going to kill you.  Auto accidents kill more healthy kids than covid did.  Vaccination probably falls some where in between. 

Best part of being a conspiracy theorist is missing out on the myocarditis.

19 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Best part of being a conspiracy theorist is missing out on the myocarditis

So you’re a man under 40, and got two doses of Moderna? Or just talking out of your ass?

yhttps://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/08/22/covid-19-infection-poses-higher-risk-for-myocarditis-than-vaccines

16 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

So you’re a man under 40, and got two doses of Moderna? Or just talking out of your ass?

yhttps://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/08/22/covid-19-infection-poses-higher-risk-for-myocarditis-than-vaccines

No, I'm a man over 50 (very recently ;))  Only had the one JnJ.   

I haven't had turbo cancer or died suddenly either, so I'm Ok with my choices.  Nor any late onset commotio cordis.

It would be great if our health bureaucracies were publishing up to date stats so we could make informed decisions.  But since they're not, we each have to ponder for ourselves.

47 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

It would be great if our health bureaucracies were publishing up to date stats so we could make informed decisions.  But since they're not, we each have to ponder for ourselves.

Scientific review does not work like fantasy football - updated stats aren’t going to to do anything to a 43M comparison group.  But yeah, go ahead and trust your own research mechanism - scotch.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Britain says it's going to do a spring round of Covid boosters.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-spring-booster-resources/a-guide-to-the-covid-19-spring-booster-2023

I wish the US would.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/health/covid-booster-older-immunocompromised.html

Britain and Canada have authorized another round of booster shots for older and immunocompromised citizens. So far, U.S. officials haven’t followed suit.

Seems this is for the over 75's and extra vulnerable people.

Those Under 50 have only had 3.  Which makes me very nervous  I do hope that Under 50's can get a booster at the end of the year.  This year.  It would be nice to have at least one targeted at Omnicom or whatever is dominant at the time instead of the original. 

18 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Scientific review does not work like fantasy football - updated stats aren’t going to to do anything to a 43M comparison group.  But yeah, go ahead and trust your own research mechanism - scotch.

I'd laugh if it were funny.

The people in power are all for treatments like remdisover and mrna injections that aren't past patent.  And respirators.  Sure the clinical results weren't good, but the reimbursement was very profitable.

When the government (or their dependent corporate entinties) controls most medical treatments, then we're going to be compelled to get treatment by the highest bidder.  Pfizer and Moderna are probably better represented by lobbbyists than your friendly neighborhood general practictioner.  Who has almost certainly been assimilated into a 1000 plus doctor "non profit" by now thanks to Obama care.

47 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You don’t think there might be a good reason for that?

not sure your point.  or you missed the fact I was pointing out Under 50's have only had 3 shots and none of the Omicron targeted ones.    Yes the most venerable should get more frequent vaccinations than other groups.  But perhaps don't completely ignore younger groups.  we can still get sick and spread it.  We can still get long covid.

14 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

not sure your point.  or you missed the fact I was pointing out Under 50's have only had 3 shots and none of the Omicron targeted ones.    Yes the most venerable should get more frequent vaccinations than other groups.  But perhaps don't completely ignore younger groups.  we can still get sick and spread it.  We can still get long covid.

No in that case I understood your point. I don’t see the need to give boosters to people who do not need it, and clearly most world governments and bodies agree with me. You still seem to misunderstanding the purpose of boosters or the world in 2023.

As an aside, I recently got Covid, possibly for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Me, a mid 40s healthy male with 2 jabs, no booster, felt unwell for about a week, but didn’t take any time off of work and am now 100% back to normal. I’ve had worse colds. After 2 jabs, probably being exposed to the virus in some form over the past 2 years, much less deadly strains and being in good shape means that outcome was extremely likely. There would be no reason for me to get a booster for instance.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

No in that case I understood your point. I don’t see the need to give boosters to people who do not need it, and clearly most world governments and bodies agree with me. You still seem to misunderstanding the purpose of boosters or the world in 2023.

As an aside, I recently got Covid, possibly for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Me, a mid 40s healthy male with 2 jabs, no booster, felt unwell for about a week, but didn’t take any time off of work and am now 100% back to normal. I’ve had worse colds. After 2 jabs, probably being exposed to the virus in some form over the past 2 years, much less deadly strains and being in good shape means that outcome was extremely likely. There would be no reason for me to get a booster for instance.

we will always disagree here.   If the purpose of booster was not to stop the spread of infections why do we bother to give boosters to healthy young care workers in care homes?

Also less sick people means more people in work being productive and potentially growing the economy.  

and if we are talking about anecdotal evidence  I got Covid last summer for the 1st time  6 months after my 3rd jab.  I got very ill and just breathing was hard.  My Blood oxygen level dropped, and I have a high fever.  at one point I was being monitored every hour for my oxygen level and temperature.  I was so borderline in being admitted to hospital and would have been admitted if there was more hospital beds available.  I was lucky  I did make a full recovery But I have never been so ill in my life.     If I hadn't had the booster maybe I would have ended up in Hospital or even died?

Yes at this point 6 months from a jab I don't think another booster is realistic.  But once a year?  or at least once a year after a new targeted vaccine?  I don't think this is too much to ask.   I don't even care if I have to pay for the booster myself,  I do want the option though.  I get the flu jab every year and I used to pay for it (since Covid my work pays for the Flu jab)

Also long Covid is a thing and every time you get covid there is a chance of Long Covid.  But we as a country have never really worried about long term things.  Long term are for another government to worry about.

17 hours ago, mcbigski said:

And respirators. 

I hope when you get to a point in life when you need to be mechanically ventilated, you have the same attitude. It boggles my mind that someone can reach the age of 50 and barely have any real world understanding of science & medicine.

Also, The Affordable Care Act has done so much good for your country, but again, you seem to have no real world understanding of it.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Zorral said:

I do hope there will be another booster going into the fall though.

Ditto Dat!

Ive been fortunate to have avoided getting this nasty sickness as others in my workplace dropped like flies, one even eventually having a heart attack which his family attributed to his long covid sickness.

I prefer to continue my luck of avoiding this and if I were to, to avoid getting deathly sick or getting the prolonged covid. I would feel safer having another round of booster as its been a while now since my last one.

I think its an unnecessary gamble to not stay as boosted as im allowed to be.

Why risk long covid, ive read some of these cases can cause permanent damage to your health.