How is the weather out there?

LongRider

We had rain changing to ice and then overlayed with snow late last week, all said and done there was half a foot of snow maybe and bitter freezing cold with wind chills. And now on the other side we will have 50F weather towards the end of this week. I think there is a 'warm up till the 3rd week of January predicted, so I might be able to see the grass on my front and back yard soon.

We had a typical northern Wisconsin white Christmas. Accumulation and drifting with single digits but a warming due later in the week.

Nothing we arent used to.

Some of the extremes down in Florida and Houston have been surprize news from relatives. Theyve said theyve had snow in Lauderdale and Miami and even a -4° in Houston one day. This pleases the Northern soul.

B) We love to share such days on occasion.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Whatever arctic blasts and wind we have gotten, I just give thanks that this isn't Buffalo and environs.  It's still snowing there -- lake effect snow, not a storm, with another foot being dropped today on top of the nearly 50 inches already.

And here, starting Wednesday we are on a warming trend, leaving the below freezing temps behind.

At the moment though, I'm still in a couple of layers of cashmere from foot to neck.

We got a decent bit of snow a few days before Christmas, scattered after that. Then rain the night before last and all the snow is gone. Wore my flip flops on errands today.

6c right now, after 10pm.   

All this warm weather after snow and cold basically results in a lot of mud, since the water can really be absorbed by the solid ground. Add to that all the salt used to keep the roadways clear and we have a water/melted snow mix with the consistency of a Slushy. My abiding memory of January warm-ups typically is cold wet socks.

The weather is improving nicely! I went out for a long walk, the first time out of the apartment in 3 days.  Two of those days it was storming and like 8 degrees and I was cooking up a storm.  Yesterday was working out and cleaning up the weekend.

4 hours ago, Wade1865 said:

It was horrible! As they said, a once in a lifetime ordeal. We lost sunshine for at least 4 hours that day, and I had to put on a long sleeved shirt. I almost died. I live in South Florida.

@A Horse Named Stranger  I think there’s a Florida joke here. Work it, pony, work it.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

@A Horse Named Stranger  I think there’s a Florida joke here. Work it, pony, work it.

I already made the Florida/Hell has frozen over and now we are waiting for the Devil/DeSatan to offer free sleigh rides reference.

But alas, why do birds fly on the backs when they are over Florida? Just so that they don't have to see the misery, which is Florida.

A thunderstorm came through and warmed everything up from the 20s to the 60s.

So that was nice. 

But the same storm scared my dog. So I came home from work to a living room of shit. 

Less nice. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

On 12/28/2022 at 1:27 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But alas, why do birds fly on the backs when they are over Florida?

The actual joke is, why do ducks fly on their backs when they are Florida?  So, they can quack up as they think Florida is funny.

Flood watch in Northern California.  My sister told me that it rained in the mountains up to 7000ft!   She now reports that the snow level went down to 6000ft overnight, but now it's 50 degrees F at her house, and raining.  She lives in the foothills near Auburn.   I live in the north end of the Sacramento Valley, and we're on a flood watch too.   There is a river here, fortunately, I don't live near it.