Your Three Names

Craving Peaches

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 11:52 AM, Craving Peaches said:

If you were allowed to chose three names as Arya was but at the beginning of the story, who would you off and why?

EDIT: Changing my three names,

Tywin (it'll be hilarious to see House Lannister eat itself right from the start of AGOT)

Littlefinger (no schemes on his part)

Daenerys (no dragons to interfere with King Stannis's eventual ascension)

Edited by James Steller

• 5 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 4:55 AM, James Steller said:

EDIT: Changing my three names,

Tywin (it'll be hilarious to see House Lannister eat itself right from the start of AGOT)

Littlefinger (no schemes on his part)

Daenerys (no dragons to interfere with King Stannis's eventual ascension)

I am not sure this would result in Stannis' ascension though.

It could easily end up with Eddard not going south or failing to discover the incest without Lysa's letter (+LF's prodding) before Cersei murders Robert and then accepting Renly's offer to seize Cersei's children or he could go home in peace.

Take out Cersei early enough and the whole plot differs so radically it's impossible to predict what'll happen thereafter.

If I have perfect foreknowledge of what will happen, then I'd hold fire initially and eliminate Cersei, Tywin and Stannis successively at around the time of Bob's death. Stannis mostly for tidiness.

If I didn't have foreknowledge, then I wouldn't hit Stannis because nobody knew what he was doing until he did it. Third name would probably go on Balon or Joffrey.

If forced to use the names immediately at the start of the story, then I guess I hit Cersei, Littlefinger and Tywin and aim for a flawless Stark victory.

1.  Cersei

2.  Littlefinger

3.  Varys 

With Cersei I put a halt to the incest, end Robert's toxic marriage, reduce Lannister influence at Court, and eliminate a bad influence on Joffrey.  Also, Ned has less incentive to investigate Arryn's death, and the incest story can't get traction.

Littlefinger and Varys spend way too much time plotting and are utterly untrustworthy.  Their actions are harmful for Westeros's future.  Plus it keeps the Targaryens out, thus hopefully avoiding a civil war.

I thought about putting Joffrey on the list, but I think that between Ned, Sansa, and Margaery, who I expect would be Robert's new wife, they can possibly turn Joffrey into a decent human being.  If not, presumably they will have time to figure something out.

I assume the names become available to me as soon as Arya is aware that she can make this prayer in the story, during her travels with Yoren.  Ned is dead, Tyrion is captive, Cersei and Joffrey are running the capital so capably all alone.    

Much as I would have liked to have seen what Tywin would have done without his golden children, I can't really waste good wishes on those 3, so Tywin is my sacrifice name.  Too powerful.  Take Tywin out and Frey has no teeth or connection, only a bitter taste in his mouth for a likely winning young man with a good chance of being king.   Take Tywin out and The Battle of the Blackwater ends with Stannis on the Throne most likely and I would have loved to have read Cersei's attempts to save herself or not in that case.  

Varys, for obvious reasons and fricken Little Finger for the same obvious reasons.  These are the power houses and movers in Westeros.  Remove them and the game plays out very differently. 

On 1/4/2023 at 11:52 AM, Craving Peaches said:

If you were allowed to chose three names as Arya was but at the beginning of the story, who would you off and why?

Arya herself.  Jon Snow.  And Sansa. 

Arya is a totally messed up character.  I guess some find that entertaining but I find Arya a real turn off.  Jon is a traitor to the Night's Watch.  That plot was laid down from the beginning of A Game of Thrones.  It was only a matter of time before he betrayed the watch.  Sansa has not done anything where she deserves to die.  I just don't like Sansa. 

4 hours ago, H Wadsworth Longfellow said:

Arya herself.  Jon Snow.  And Sansa. 

Arya is a totally messed up character.  I guess some find that entertaining but I find Arya a real turn off.  Jon is a traitor to the Night's Watch.  That plot was laid down from the beginning of A Game of Thrones.  It was only a matter of time before he betrayed the watch.  Sansa has not done anything where she deserves to die.  I just don't like Sansa. 

If there's one thing we can agree on, it's that Sansa is much more unpleasant than Ramsay.