Star Wars: Go home (M)Ando(r), the Zillo Beast Is Back (Again!)

Lord Varys

Apparently Ivanna Sakhno's character is named Shin, apprentice to Baylon, per leaks from December. If they are basically doing a homage to Zahn's series, the claim that Baylon went to the "new beyond" and escaped Order 66 but then became corrupted, and Shin is his apprentice who is also an assassin.... does smack of some nods to Joruus and Mara Jade. 

Will be curious to see how much is just nods and how much is actually just straight up borrowing the plot from the books.

Mangold's an exciting choice to direct a Star Wars film, and the premise is potentially interesting. 

Filoni is basically directing: Star Wars Endgame, which is fair enough I guess. I wonder if Boba Fett will be killed off for real this time. If they're drawing a line under the whole period and moving on to fresh pastures, that'd be refreshing.

The post-Rise of Skywalker film is going to annoy people hoping for a retcon, but that was never a realistic prospect in the first place. The director is intriguing, and this is the film that Damon Lindelof wrote the first draft of the script for before leaving, which could really go either way. I'm betting hard that we get Teen/Kidult Grogu in this one. Daisy Ridley I think is a perfectly good actress when she has good material, so hopefully this will work to her benefit.

The first Jedi story could really be anything. If they go really old-skool and weird with it, show the Star Wars galaxy as a much more primitive place, lower-tech, maybe it takes weeks to get anywhere, that could be an interesting spin on the franchise.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Filoni is basically directed: Star Wars Endgame, which is fair enough I guess. I wonder if Boba Fett will be killed off for real this time. If they're drawing a line under the whole period and moving on to fresh pastures, that'd be refreshing.

The post-Rise of Skywalker film is going to annoy people hoping for a retcon, but that was never a realistic prospect in the first place. The director is intriguing, and this is the film that Damon Lindelof wrote the first draft of the script for before leaving, which could really go either way. I'm betting hard that we get Teen/Kidult Grogu in this one. Daisy Ridley I think is a perfectly good actress when she has good material, so hopefully this will work to her benefit.

The first Jedi story could really be anything. If they go really old-skool and weird with it, show the Star Wars galaxy as a much more primitive place, lower-tech, maybe it takes weeks to get anywhere, that could be an interesting spin on the franchise.

You think the latter two movies will actually be made?  This is Disney Lucasfilm.

Rebels: Endgame will likely turn into Disney + fodder. Also isn't Ahsoka going to run into the same problem Mandalorian did? Where is Luke during this crisis involving seemingly Sith? Or Leia?

27 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

You think the latter two movies will actually be made?  This is Disney Lucasfilm.

Rebels: Endgame will likely turn into Disney + fodder. Also isn't Ahsoka going to run into the same problem Mandalorian did? Where is Luke during this crisis involving seemingly Sith? Or Leia?

I have got a strong feeling the reason they're ending with a film is to have the budget to do CGI Luke (and possibly CGI Leia as well). I don't think they'll be front-and-centre, but it'll be a reporting to Coruscant kind of thing and maybe some mention of Luke fighting on another front. I am intrigued why Filoni is doing it and not Favreau who, for all his faults, has far more experience of movie directing.

And yeah, I think they will be made. Iger is back and on his watch shit actually gets done, plus they'll have been very leery about announcing anything after Rogue Squadron was cancelled and all the other projects evaporated. The Rey movie has been in development for some time (they were talking about it last year, at least, and some talk before that) so it looks like they're ready to commit to it.

The First Jedi movie is a really interesting concept if they can do something fresh with it. If it's just Moar Star Wars and nothing has changed in 20,000 years, that'd be dull.

Apparently the three films are a thematic trilogy in themselves representing a look at the origins, the "present" and the future of the Jedi, whilst being mostly standalone (excepting the bit where Filoni's film probably won't make a lick of sense unless you've seen four other TV shows and the original trilogy at least).

They're also expanding the "eras" of Star Wars history, going back to the "Dawn of the Jedi" with the first film and the "New Jedi Order" with the latter.

Can the Yuuzhan Vong be far away?

Can the Yuuzhan Vong be far away?

I really hope not. Maybe they'll handle it better in a visual medium, but that's the one thing that made me go from loving the Zahn books to quitting them.

The various developments sound cool though. Glad to see Rey return. Might mean even seeing Poe and Finn again.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Yep. Thrawn having any heft at all would imply Luke and especially Leia doing a lot of work. The timeline between the prequels and ot allow for these sorts of things and allow for Rebels to flourish, but post RotJ it makes very little sense. Especially now that ahsoka has actually hung out with Luke and we see Luke actually going out and doing things like getting Grogu.

And the kid in me seeing the orange lightsabers and the badass Stevenson is geeking out. Stevenson having almost exactly the same look as the Eternal Emperor from swtor is bad ass. The rebels stuff though...oy. a big problem with this is that casual viewers have no reason to latch on to any of this, and they're gonna have to do a lot of heavy lifting to make them important - or they'll just drop it on the floor.

But yeah, Luke, Han, Leia, Lando - where are those guys?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I am in a state of stunned disbelief that anyone involved with the utterly dreadful Mandalorian TV show has been given control of an actual fucking movie. 

My suspicion is that Filoni - as mediocre as he has been - is the only one who has shown any success pushing the SWU concept forward, and Disney is desperate for having that succeed. Obi-wan didn't do as well for them, Andor was a critical success but not a streaming one (and is too expensive/complex to replicate), the other movies weren't as successful as they wanted...and Filoni wants to fail upward.

His movie is going to have a crazy amount of callbacks and references and Easter eggs and be an absolute mess for anyone who hasn't watched 15 seasons of his shows.

I just hope the sequence of events culminating in this was not:
1.  Daisy Ridley wouldn't sign on before she saw a script

2. Lindelof delivered a script, she said that's actually pretty good!

3. She signs, they throw the script out and replace Lindelof to get her on an entirely different script.

I'm curious where Ahsoka fits in the timeline relative to that last (I think) scene of rebels where she looks like Gandalf and seems to be recruiting Sabine to find Ezra. I suspect the only thing that makes sense is to say they searched, failed, and she ditched the gandalf look and now this happens. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm curious where Ahsoka fits in the timeline relative to that last (I think) scene of rebels where she looks like Gandalf and seems to be recruiting Sabine to find Ezra. I suspect the only thing that makes sense is to say they searched, failed, and she ditched the gandalf look and now this happens. 

Four years later.

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Well, "Rebels" ends about a year prior to ANH.  RoTJ is about 4 years after ANH, and The Mandalorian is about 5 years after RoTJ.  So, the Ahsoka show will be about 10 years after she and Sabine went to find Ezra.  So, yeah, I guess they'll have to come up with some story about how they searched and couldn't find him.  But that coincidentally will allow them to explain why Ahsoka wasn't around for the events of the original trilogy.

I'd like to see a flashback to when she first introduced herself to Luke.  "Where the **** were you while I was trying to figure out how to be a Jedi?!?! I had like 12 hours of training from Ben, and a week or two from Yoda.  And then that little green muppet told me all I had to do was defeat Vader and I would be a Jedi.  And now I find out most people get ~20 years of training?!?!?"

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

The First Jedi movie is a really interesting concept if they can do something fresh with it. If it's just Moar Star Wars and nothing has changed in 20,000 years, that'd be dull.

They have so much fertile ground with pre-OT stuff. 30,000 years of galactic history.

The founding of the order could be a trilogy. The founding of the Republic could be a trilogy. The first Sith war... I could go on. 

Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen from SW from a cinematic perspective is the promotional animated shorts for the Old Republic and KOTR. Amazing. "Why don't they do this?", I might have said. 

2 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Well, "Rebels" ends about a year prior to ANH.  RoTJ is about 4 years after ANH, and The Mandalorian is about 5 years after RoTJ.  So, the Ahsoka show will be about 10 years after she and Sabine went to find Ezra.  So, yeah, I guess they'll have to come up with some story about how they searched and couldn't find him.  But that coincidentally will allow them to explain why Ahsoka wasn't around for the events of the original trilogy.

4-5 years. The timeline is:

• 0 BBY/ABY: Battle of Yavin, liberation of Lothal, disappearance of Thrawn and Ezra; Season 4 of RebelsRogue One and A New Hope all take place.
  • 3 ABY: Destruction of the Death Star II, Return of the Jedi takes place
  • 5 ABY: Ahsoka and Sabine's flashforwards scene in Rebels Season 4, agreeing to go find Ezra.
  • 9-10 ABY: Events of The MandalorianBook of Boba Fett and Ahsoka take place.

Archived