Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

I finished Enterprise. That finale is still one of the biggest wtf decisions in TV history. "People didn't really like this star trek, so lets make the finale an episode of TNG." 

Had they done the Riker thing on a random episode, it could have been neat. and maybe they could have had the crew act just a little different. The idea being that this is an approximation based on logs and not like, an actual recording somehow. 

I just watched Discovery and Strange New Worlds so I skipped them for now. Mostly I want to wanted to watch TOS again before revisiting SNW.

But Ugh I do not like TOS. I love shitty horror movies so it's not like the acting. I actually love the bridge set and all the lights buttons and knobs.

But the writing, fuck. In one episode the transporter is creating evil copies. Kirk and Spock and/or Mcoy establish that someone is impersonating him. Then they visit the transporter room and learn it's making evil copies of animals. They even say "we can't beam up the away team, or it might happen to them." but no one seems to realize what's happened. 

Wrath of Kahn onward, totally watchable. Star Trek V and The Motion Picture might be bad movies, but they have characters, not just actors reading lines off a page. It's probably more an issue with the medium at the time.

As an exercise: imagine Spock's death if it happened during season three of the show. Same scenario, same production value. 

I have a great Lower Decks idea after watching the Gorn episode of Star Trek

So like, it's a parody of the Enterprise Klingon augment virus storyline explaining something that didn't need to be explained. The idea is that the "Gorn" Kirk fought actually was a man in a rubber suit pretending to be a gorn. Like he is playing the part of a gorn.

The why, I haven't settled on yet:

A) He was a human abducted at a young age, like that one screeching kid from TNG. Wanting to adapt, he used real gorn skin to make his suit. 

bee) The Gorn abducted him on halloween because he was in one of those T-rex costumes 

C) He was a romulan agent and their plastic surgeon died. Like days before an important mission they had to wing it and went to party city. 

Edit:

D) Boimler. Of course it would be boimler who accidentally killed the real gorn and had to fake it to preserve the timeline. Maybe an episode about the section 31 transporter clone version. 

Edited by RumHam

I think, at least in part, the finale of Enterprise was not meant to be a series finale...I think, and might be misremembering, that the script was reworked some after the cancelation announcement...

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

I have a great Lower Decks idea after watching the Gorn episode of Star Trek

So like, it's a parody of the Enterprise Klingon augment virus storyline explaining something that didn't need to be explained. The idea is that the "Gorn" Kirk fought actually was a man in a rubber suit pretending to be a gorn. Like he is playing the part of a gorn.

The why, I haven't settled on yet:

A) He was a human abducted at a young age, like that one screeching kid from TNG. Wanting to adapt, he used real gorn skin to make his suit. 

bee) The Gorn abducted him on halloween because he was in one of those T-rex costumes 

C) He was a romulan agent and their plastic surgeon died. Like days before an important mission they had to wing it and went to party city. 

Edit:

D) Boimler. Of course it would be boimler who accidentally killed the real gorn and had to fake it to preserve the timeline. Maybe an episode about the section 31 transporter clone version. 

D) would make this much much funnier:

https://youtu.be/N_KeXfd5OHI

18 hours ago, RumHam said:

I finished Enterprise. That finale is still one of the biggest wtf decisions in TV history. "People didn't really like this star trek, so lets make the finale an episode of TNG." 

Had they done the Riker thing on a random episode, it could have been neat. and maybe they could have had the crew act just a little different. The idea being that this is an approximation based on logs and not like, an actual recording somehow. 

There was, ages ago, and I honestly don't know if it's still floating around the net somewhere, a wild AF fan edit, that purportedly edited the hell out of 'These Are the Voyages...' to make it more about the Enterprise crew than the TNG crew. One of my Die Hard As They Come Trek friends said it was a marked improvement over the original. 

I confess, I never watched it, as I knew to stop at the penultimate episode, Terra Prime, which worked for me as a season finale. 

Gods but I did enjoy season 4 and Manny Coto as a showrunner. While it's by no means the strongest Trek ever - I think DS9 will forever hold that particular achievement - I really enjoyed the three-part instalment approach, after two seasons of uneven serialised storytelling. 

53 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I expect I'm the only here who wouldn't have recognized the Lower Decks characters it they hadn't advertised it already. But it does look good.

I cannot wait for the Lower Decks crossover!  Boimler’s hair is purple!  Do Mariner and Boimler sound different to y’all?  And the SNW characters will cross back to LD… right?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Powering through TNG (now halfway through Season 6) and something that's becoming more of a recurring thing is La Forge and Data carrying out amazingly dangerous experiments with devices right next to the warp core.

In Birthright, Bashir brings aboard a totally unknown alien doohickey from the Gamma Quadrant and they decide to fuck around with it inside the warp core chamber. It's like six feet from the dilithium chamber, max. And they pour tons of energy into it and it fires a beam that fries Data. If it had gone in the opposite direction, they could have atomised not just the Enterprise but DS9 as well (which they were docked at). Maybe 5,000 casualties.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Powering through TNG (now halfway through Season 6) and something that's becoming more of a recurring thing is La Forge and Data carrying out amazingly dangerous experiments with devices right next to the warp core.

In Birthright, Bashir brings aboard a totally unknown alien doohickey from the Gamma Quadrant and they decide to fuck around with it inside the warp core chamber. It's like six feet from the dilithium chamber, max. And they pour tons of energy into it and it fires a beam that fries Data. If it had gone in the opposite direction, they could have atomised not just the Enterprise but DS9 as well (which they were docked at). Maybe 5,000 casualties.

They also test fire a supposed phaser rifle near it too, don’t they?

I got caught up to the final season of Star Trek: Picard. I'm glad I waited and binged it, because the first half of the season is rough. The episode with Ro Laren finally made things more interesting and the show clicked a bit better afterwards. Not that I remember a damn thing about TNG so Ro's appearance and fate was less emotional, but it was decently done regardless.

Why did it have to be the Borg again? I liked the Changeling plot, but was disappointed to learn that they were merely playing second fiddle to the Borg Queen that still survived somehow (she must be Trek's Palpatine). Vadic was a better and more interesting villain.

In general, this was the show's best season, but that's not saying much. The main reasons being 1) bringing back the original cast of TNG and seeing how their characters changed more or less overtime and 2) a more cohesive plot, especially compared to the mess that was season 2. The soundtrack helped, too, and I was glad they god rid of the boring title sequence.

Still there were issues. Why didn't the Changelings extend their transporter manipulation plot to space stations, too? Surely they could have taken over Spacedock station the same way. But I guess we needed a stupid big space battle at the end. I chuckled at how bad the entirety of Starfleet was in taking out one space station was. I guess Earth isn't as vulnerable as other storylines implied. And those fleet formations made me think of the Homeworld games.

There were so many Picard scenes that ended with eye-rolling dialogue that turned him into Captain Obvious. 

Jack looked ridiculous in the Borg suit. It looked like he was cosplaying as a Mass Effect character instead of someone that just got a bunch of cybernetics attached to him. But the actor has charisma and with Seven of Nine a captain now, I wouldn't mind watching a show with them and La Forge's daughters.

I chuckled at the Titan's design. The writers seemed conscious about the levels of nostalgia they were infusing in this season, so they wrote it that Starfleet was nostalgic to with this "New Constitution" class ships that have a retro look to them. But why do the interiors have to be so dark blue? I was happy when they brought back the Enterprise-D for the finale just for the aesthetics alone.

On to re-watching season 1 of SNW before season 2. 

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

On to re-watching season 1 of SNW before season 2. 

Don't forget the short treks! Some of them have SNW characters. The one with Jon Benjamin and the tribbles is great.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Don't forget the short treks! Some of them have SNW characters. The one with Jon Benjamin and the tribbles is great.

I watched those back when they released. I don't know if I'll devote the time. My rewatch is mainly to refamiliarze with the characters, and some plotlines.

On 5/23/2023 at 2:29 AM, RumHam said:

I just watched Discovery and Strange New Worlds so I skipped them for now. Mostly I want to wanted to watch TOS again before revisiting SNW.

But Ugh I do not like TOS. I love shitty horror movies so it's not like the acting. I actually love the bridge set and all the lights buttons and knobs.

But the writing, fuck. In one episode the transporter is creating evil copies. Kirk and Spock and/or Mcoy establish that someone is impersonating him. Then they visit the transporter room and learn it's making evil copies of animals. They even say "we can't beam up the away team, or it might happen to them." but no one seems to realize what's happened. 

Wrath of Kahn onward, totally watchable. Star Trek V and The Motion Picture might be bad movies, but they have characters, not just actors reading lines off a page. It's probably more an issue with the medium at the time.

As an exercise: imagine Spock's death if it happened during season three of the show. Same scenario, same production value. 

I kinda agree on TOS, except I do actually like it. It has some great episodes, but man, Trek fans in general give it way too much leeway, probably because of nostalgia or because it was the first Trek. Either way, it's incredibly inconsistent with its plotting, writing, worldbuilding, and overall quality. I do understand Roddenberry and his writers were literally making it up as they went along so the various lore inconsistencies don't really bother me, but the fact that a good number of the episodes are, at best, mediocre, that does bother me.

That said, still worth watching for the good episodes. If I ever do a rewatch, I'd probably end up skipping at least half of the episodes, including most of Season 3.