7 Kings Must Die (takes place after The Last Kingdom) on Netflix

Chad Vader

25 minutes ago, Chad Vader said:

Searched and didn't see it anywhere. Anyways I'm half way through and it's had its moments. Some I dislike but I won't discuss them at this point.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HvaXYZJ69Ow&pp=ygUYNyBraW5ncyBtdXN0IGRpZSB0cmFpbGVy

the ending was the best part. The final battle lacked wow moments or even anything memorable. the rest had good and bad parts but it is yhe kind of movie that if you think about it had LOTS of things that didn t make sense

46 minutes ago, divica said:

the ending was the best part. The final battle lacked wow moments or even anything memorable. the rest had good and bad parts but it is yhe kind of movie that if you think about it had LOTS of things that didn t make sense

Agree with the LOTS. But the ending was really cool.

Edited by Chad Vader

I liked the battle.

Since nearly all the characters we've lived with, on the page and on screen, for so long are gone by the time of Seven Kings Must Die, we aren't invested in any of these new ones and know we won't see them again, there is no character development and they are generally flat.  Time and space operate, shall we say vaguely.

Though the ending had me gushing tears, lordessa, it was pretty cheesy (if not cheap), the go-to way to end when there really isn't anything more to do or say.

But, as I say, it grabbed me down to my liver anyway, and I sobbed.  Partner took me out for a beer to comfort me.

Yeah, the pacing was insanely rushed. The battle was good and the ending satisfying but really needed much more time to set up the plot lines properly - the first two-thirds or so of the movie was a mess due to the way-too-fast pacing. Should've just given the show a season 6 (even if it was a shortened season) to wrap up properly.

It was solid, but oddly paced. It felt like two regular episodes stitched back-to-back (there's even a breakpoint halfway through the episode) and I don't think they got any extra money, as they mostly used old sets (making a big deal of using Alfred's old study from Season 1, for example).

I did like the tweaked title sequence and music, and I did like the prophecy turning out to be complete bollocks at the end.

"Well, she said seven kings must die..."

"But they didn't, five heirs died!"

"Well, they were the kings of the future. I guess. Or something."

"What about the bit with the woman he loved dying and that just didn't happen?"

"Well...I got nothing."

I'm much more forgiving of travel times in The Last Kingdom than other projects because Britain is genuinely quite small. Winchester to York is 230 miles and Winchester to Bamburgh is 360 miles, and you could do that journey in under a fortnight on horseback, which also gives people time to assemble their armies. That said, the sheer number of times people bounced back and forth in such a short space of time did start stretching even that.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It was solid, but oddly paced. It felt like two regular episodes stitched back-to-back (there's even a breakpoint halfway through the episode) and I don't think they got any extra money, as they mostly used old sets (making a big deal of using Alfred's old study from Season 1, for example).

I did like the tweaked title sequence and music, and I did like the prophecy turning out to be complete bollocks at the end.

I'm much more forgiving of travel times in The Last Kingdom than other projects because Britain is genuinely quite small. Winchester to York is 230 miles and Winchester to Bamburgh is 360 miles, and you could do that journey in under a fortnight on horseback, which also gives people time to assemble their armies. That said, the sheer number of times people bounced back and forth in such a short space of time did start stretching even that.

One of the oddities of Bernard Cornwall’s writing is how he occasionally gets the geography of Britain wrong.

I remember scratching my head in one book where the Saxons burn Dunstable and the burning is smelled as far away as Andover.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

One of the oddities of Bernard Cornwall’s writing is how he occasionally gets the geography of Britain wrong.

He’s lived in the US for 40 odd years now. I’d guess it’s probably things he thinks he knows so doesn’t bother to research but is misremembering.

I can’t say anything’s really stuck out to me as gratuitously wrong though.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:57 PM, Zorral said:

Well, he lives on Cape Cod, which is an island, and tiny, in comparison not only with the USA as a whole, but even small in comparison with that other island in the Atlantic over there.

https://chathamlivingmag.com/bernard-cornwell-at-home-in-chatham/

He only lives in Cape Cod - not an island - part of the year and spends the rest in South Carolina.

IOW, he lives where distance between places are short. :cheers:

Not like where I, for a single instance, grew up.  You could drive all day from the eastern side of my state, to the western border, and not get there yet.  At 65 - 70 MPH.

Of course you can't get to your destination south from Cape Cod now either, due to traffic congestion. :(  

Edited by Zorral

On 4/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, Werthead said:

Well it was Finnan's wife who made the prophecy, and when she said "The woman you love will die", she turned from Uthred to Finnan.  Which indicates that she knew that she was going to die. 

One thing that I generally liked about The Last Kingdom show was that they often had women doing things and being involved in the plot.  More so than the novels.  But this movie, not so much.  There's the woman spy working in the background, but she has very few lines and dies from a stray arrow (perhaps some real armor would be a good idea?)  The woman who replaced the actress playing Edward's third wife was not as good as her predecessor, and she barely did anything anyway.  Hild, Aethelred, Lady Aelswith, Stiorra, Brida, and Lady Aelfwynn were all gone.  The movie was basically a two hour sausagefest.

• 8 months later...

Finally was in the mood to watch this and feel a bit let down. Maybe I would've enjoyed it more if I'd watched it soon after finishing season 5 (but it wasn't out yet!). It all felt so rushed and none of the big deaths or other character moments really landed for me - even the ending, sad to say. 

Could they not have put some grey streaks in Uhtred's hair and beard :laugh: Didn't the first episode take place in like 860 or something, and that last battle was 935-ish?

Still kind of makes me want to do a rewatch of the whole show, but I have too many other things on the list :crying: