UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Tories are advocating for dumping raw sewage into rivers and streams?  Raw sewage???

They already voted six months ago to allow water companies to dump untreated waste with no risk of financial penalty. Yesterday was basically Labour's weak-sauce effort to hold them to account.

Sewage vote outcry prompts Tory MPs to defend decision on social media

The government has launched a defensive social media campaign after MPs faced anger from their constituents over last week’s sewage vote, in which an amendment to the environment bill that would have placed a legal duty on water companies not to pump waste into rivers was voted down.

Many Conservative MPs posted almost identical statements on Monday morning after a weekend of anger over the vote. Government sources confirmed to the Guardian that the information in these posts had been supplied by No 10.

Of course, they will blame everyone else for the state of our waterways. Labour, giant poos, sanitary products, the Victorians, etc. But what none of them will ever mention is the fact that since Thatcher privatised our water, over £66bn has been paid out as shareholder dividends while the infrastructure has been allowed to crumble.

Edited by Spockydog

This is a speech by a minister, and specifically The Minister of State for Immigration ( Jenrick), throwing immigrants under the bus and blaming them for 'damaging effects of social trust and social cohesion'

Xenophobic at the very least and full of prejudice

He said ‘uncontrolled migration has damaging effects on social trust and cohesion’ actually, and that is pretty well established. But then apparently Eric Kaufmann is a ‘a noted racist’ apparently, so we can safely ignore David Andrea’s’ opinions , or find him on Mastabatadon if you want to learn more.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Here's another one that needs to be put in the bin. Absolute fucking state of it. 

Hehe, I think you have too high expectations from politicians Spocky.  That exchange seemed pretty boringly average.  I did enjoy listening to the police? commissioner stand his ground nicely.

19 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I wonder why...

I was trying to track down where in Europe museums display the heads of Africans in jars but no one seems to have posted an answer to the question yet. I know that museums all over the place have skeletons of peoples from around the world - ask the indigenous leaders in North America how stunned they were when they found out how many boxes of bones of their ancestors are in major North American museums alone - but heads in jars? Really disgusting to see pictures of skulls on display in places, and I saw a horrible story about how the body parts of a black woman who died in 1815 were displayed in jars, but the idea of displaying heads in jars in museums in Europe is pretty stunning and shocking. I saw that someone on Twitter asked where and a person replied there’s one in Belgium. That wouldn’t surprise me, considering what I’ve read about what Belgium troops did in the Congo. (Apparently when the Gatling gun was invented the troops would cruise along rivers and just indiscriminately shoot people along the rivers’ edges, killing an estimated million men, women and children.) Has anyone seen more information about this? There are some gross stories about private skeleton collections. 

I remember reading a story about demands that mummies be repatriated to Egypt and other places that had mummified remains snatched up by museums, is there really any difference between a 2,000-year old mummy and a 200-year old, or 100-year old, skeleton? I often wonder if 100 years in the future some asshole is going to be digging up the bodies in the cemetery where my family members are buried.

Do we also need to apologise to the slave traders whose business we shut down and went to war with? 

I'm also still waiting for an apology from Normandy for 1066 , plus those bloody Danes, oh and those pesky Anglo saxons.. and don't even get me started on Homo Erectus for what they did to the Neanderthals!

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was trying to track down where in Europe museums display the heads of Africans in jars but no one seems to have posted an answer to the question yet. I know that museums all over the place have skeletons of peoples from around the world - ask the indigenous leaders in North America how stunned they were when they found out how many boxes of bones of their ancestors are in major North American museums alone - but heads in jars? Really disgusting to see pictures of skulls on display in places, and I saw a horrible story about how the body parts of a black woman who died in 1815 were displayed in jars, but the idea of displaying heads in jars in museums in Europe is pretty stunning and shocking. I saw that someone on Twitter asked where and a person replied there’s one in Belgium. That wouldn’t surprise me, considering what I’ve read about what Belgium troops did in the Congo. (Apparently when the Gatling gun was invented the troops would cruise along rivers and just indiscriminately shoot people along the rivers’ edges, killing an estimated million men, women and children.) Has anyone seen more information about this? There are some gross stories about private skeleton collections. 

I remember reading a story about demands that mummies be repatriated to Egypt and other places that had mummified remains snatched up by museums, is there really any difference between a 2,000-year old mummy and a 200-year old, or 100-year old, skeleton? I often wonder if 100 years in the future some asshole is going to be digging up the bodies in the cemetery where my family members are buried.

Glasgow’s Kelvingrove museum has thr mummified head of an Egyptian on display on a shelf.

they can and they will.  strike ballots only last for 6 months.  (rules brought in by Cameron) However their probably is not enough time to re-ballot in time for the 2nd May.  the easier solution is to start the strike 1 day earlier.   And re-ballot for future strikes.

Edit.   In fact I'd be tempted to make it a 3 day strike instead of 2 days.  teach them a lesson for trying to get the strike cancelled.  (although I'm not sure how much notice they have to give when striking)

Edited by Pebble thats Stubby