US Politics: Be Careful Out There

Fragile Bird

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You think he sounded healthy and well adjusted seven years ago?

Lol. Does he not sound significantly worse to you now though? Mistaking a woman accusing you of sexual assault with your ex-wife is pretty bad, even for this dipshit. Furthermore, his speech pattern just sounds weak and skittish. And it will only get worse as his legal troubles mount.  

His speeches were always incoherent gibberish delivered in an annoyingly nasal voice, that made me long for the soothing sound of nails on a chalkboard. His syntax has always been this dadaesque piece of art resembling of the great performance artists of years past like Sarah Palin.  It got somewhat more coherent, after Conway taught him to read from a teleprompter. This is just back to pre-prompter and potty trained Trump.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

His speeches were always incoherent gibberish delivered in an annoyingly nasal voice, that made me long for the soothing sound of nails on a chalkboard. His syntax has always been this dadaesque piece of art resembling of the great performance of years past like Sarah Palin.  It got somewhat more coherent, after Conway taught him to read from a teleprompter. This is just back to pre-prompter and potty trained Trump.

I have a nasal voice. It's just how I sound :unsure:.

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

His speeches were always incoherent gibberish delivered in an annoyingly nasal voice, that made me long for the soothing sound of nails on a chalkboard. His syntax has always been this dadaesque piece of art resembling of the great performance of years past like Sarah Palin.  It got somewhat more coherent, after Conway taught him to read from a teleprompter. This is just back to pre-prompter and potty trained Trump.

That's part of it, but he's also just declining. Maybe it's age, maybe it's stress. I don't want to get into his tiny broken mind. But it does seem like he's functioning far worse today than he was in 2016. And to your point he has worse people around him.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's part of it, but he's also just declining. Maybe it's age, maybe it's stress. I don't want to get into his tiny broken mind. But it does seem like he's functioning far worse today than he was in 2016. And to your point he has worse people around him.

Sure, but no one cares.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm really not ready to deal with his idiot followers who are going to scream he was poisoned and/or assassinated once he does expire...

Lost track of the article, but there was a blurb about the budget standoff.

Seems that if the exotic accounting tricks can stave off catastrophe until mid June, the country is looking at record tax receipts - enough to keep the country afloat for another month, possibly longer. 

1 hour ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Sure, but no one cares.

Isn't that the key though? You have to make them care. I think the only path through Trump is to break him and make his supporters see it if you're a Republican challenger. 

46 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm really not ready to deal with his idiot followers who are going to scream he was poisoned and/or assassinated once he does expire...

You could make some money off them though. 

19 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Lost track of the article, but there was a blurb about the budget standoff.

Seems that if the exotic accounting tricks can stave off catastrophe until mid June, the country is looking at record tax receipts - enough to keep the country afloat for another month, possibly longer. 

Oh to live in the timeline where Gore won the election.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn't that the key though? You have to make them care. I think the only path through Trump is to break him and make his supporters see it if you're a Republican challenger. 

You could make some money off them though. 

Lol sure call it "key", call it whatever you want, just get them to care about something they have no interest in caring about.  Easy!

8 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Sure, but no one cares.

I'm not sure I agree. Clearly, lots of Americans cared about Donald Trump's failings--record numbers of Americans turned out in 2020 to see him to the door. 

I think Trump's shocking 2016 victory has deranged us all in some way, making both his allies and his enemies think he had some magical power over voters. I thought so, too! He didn't then, though, and he doesn't now. Donald Trump was elected in a pretty flukey way, losing the popular vote by a wide margin and winning only because of the eccentricities of the Electoral College. He governed badly, never cracked 50% approval (according to Gallup), was constantly enmeshed in scandal, was impeached twice, and failed to be reelected. Donald Trump has no magic; he has luck, plus the audacity native to so many rich men, who believe (with a good deal of justification) that if they simply talk fast and bulldoze their opponents that Americans will let them get away with anything. 

Counting down to DMC dismissal: three...two...one...

Edited by TrackerNeil

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I'm not sure I agree. Clearly, lots of Americans cared about Donald Trump's failings--record numbers of Americans turned out in 2020 to see him to the door. 

I think Trump's shocking 2016 victory has deranged us all in some way, making both his allies and his enemies think he had some magical power over voters. I thought so, too! He didn't then, though, and he doesn't now. Donald Trump was elected in a pretty flukey way, losing the popular vote by a wide margin and winning only because of the eccentricities of the Electoral College. He governed badly, never cracked 50% approval (according to Gallup), was constantly enmeshed in scandal, was impeached twice, and failed to be reelected. Donald Trump has no magic; he has luck, plus the audacity native to so many rich men, who believe (with a good deal of justification) that if they simply talk fast and bulldoze their opponents that Americans will let them get away with anything. 

I don't think you're incorrect. But I do think that you undersell his luck. 

"You make your own luck." - A Woman Who Chose Poorly

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Nah, I've been saying the virtually the same thing about Trump on these threads for the last six years.  I'll getcha next time!

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I do think that you undersell his luck. 

Most of all the luck to be the star of a 'reality' tv show during the Great Recession of 2008 when countless numbers of us had our livings and homes pulled out from us due to "Too Big Too Fail" bailouts by the feds.  It was the first time in decades, generations that WHITE people in very significant numbers relative to the population as a whole had that kind of financial disaster clobber them, all at the same time.  And here was this cable clown (was the show on cable?  never having seen it, or ever having cable or even broadcast tv, or even a tv, I wouldn't know) authoritarian showing how fine and easy it was for others to have the life we didn't.  People like all the stepfamily out there in ND ate this shyte up with a gallon spoon every frackin' single day.  They just flat out called me a liar when I told them his history where he lived.

In the meantime All the Media, including fb and All the Social Media breathlessly related everything about that show and him every single day, so even I knew about it and was familiar with it.  It could not be avoided.  I couldn't understand the medias doing that then and I don't understand why they are doing it now.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

Donald Trump doesn't have magical.powers, but you are fooling yourself if you think his supporters are going to leave him because he sounds a bit weaker than before. He lost because the economy wasn't as good and dems turned out more in key places. 

My point is that looking for rational reasons for his support to diminish is a losing effort. The way to beat Trump is to get more people to support his opponent in places that matter. If you instead think you'll be keeping his supporters home you're gonna have a bad time.

3 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

He lost because the economy wasn't as good and dems turned out more in key places. 

He lost because of covid/his response to it.  If covid didn't happen, he very likely still would have lost.  The 2022 results in Arizona and Warnock being reelected strongly support that counterfactual.

Anyway, totally agree that we can't rely on low turnout from Trump supporters but rather have to beat him by turning out more.