Unpopular Opinions You Have?

Personally, I think Stannis will not take Winterfell. He may win the Battle on the Ice, but I think he’ll die before taking Winterfell. Perhaps he’ll take Roose out, but I think best case for Stannis is a Pyrrhic victory in the Battle of the Ice. For me, Ramsay & Jon need to at least meet, but I think Jon is destined to kill him. 

36 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I think Tyrion should absolutely be the one to kill Cersei. It would be her worst nightmare, and it would be a chance for him to take some much needed revenge for all that she’s put him through. 

I not only think Tyrion should kill Cersei, but that he will.  He is the valonqar.

Jaime won't get out of the Riverlands alive.  He may do some stuff, like rescue the Frey prisoners, but we're overdue for a major surprise death and Jaime fits the bill.  If he's not the valonqar, he's not really needed for anything.

Margaery is the younger, more beautiful.  Cersei is making it so.

Jon is still alive.  He will be in a coma for awhile though.

Tommen and Myrcella won't necessarily die before Cersei.  Read the prophecy carefully.

Davos and Rickon aren't making it south of the Wall in the next book.

Brienne's chapters are my favorites in AFFC.

39 minutes ago, Nevets said:

How is this unpopular? Isn't this the most common opinion?

40 minutes ago, Nevets said:

This fits the bill for unpopular but Brienne is all kinds of awesome so you have truth on your side.

18 minutes ago, Groo said:

How is this unpopular? Isn't this the most common opinion?

This fits the bill for unpopular but Brienne is all kinds of awesome so you have truth on your side.

I think most people believe Jon is dead and will be resurrected by Mel.  And that his consciousness will be in Ghost for awhile.  I think he's merely injured.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I not only think Tyrion should kill Cersei, but that he will.  He is the valonqar.

Jaime won't get out of the Riverlands alive.  He may do some stuff, like rescue the Frey prisoners, but we're overdue for a major surprise death and Jaime fits the bill.  If he's not the valonqar, he's not really needed for anything.

Margaery is the younger, more beautiful.  Cersei is making it so.

Tommen and Myrcella won't necessarily die before Cersei.  Read the prophecy carefully.

Davos and Rickon aren't making it south of the Wall in the next book.

I disagree on Jaime. If we are to get a surprise death, I think it’ll be Brienne. Honestly, she doesn’t seem to serve a purpose in the overall story tbh. I could see her being killed in TWOW, maybe even saving Jaime. 

Tho I suppose, if there is a second Red Wedding, it’d be just like George to have Lady Stoneheart say something like “Robb Stark sends his regards” as she kills Jaime. It would actually make me feel almost identical to how I felt at the original Red Wedding.

I'm not sure if I actually believe this but nobody else ever seems to think it's possible.

Cersei really sent Gregor Clegane's head to Dorne. All the dwarf heads are just a misdirection.

Ser Robert Strong has Clegane's body. But, his head used to belong to someone else who had it removed and sent to King's Landing- Robb Stark.

Littlefinger did not start or want the war of the five kings. His main motivations was to prevent Stannis from gaining prominence in the court and later from ascending to the throne and keep his own head and position. The way things turned out was a disaster for him. He didn't plan to go back to the Vale. He fled there.

Daenerys is a terrible choice for a ruler, simply because she has dragons. But not only that, she will - willingly or not - turn into a mass murdering tyrant. Bran however would be even worse choice for a king.

Personality-wise, Davos would be ideal King, but he lacks legitimacy. Which leaves either Aegon or Stannis, both of which kinda suck in different ways. Daenerys may seem a good choice now for many, but a) that is mostly because well, Slaver's Bay and b) she will not be so by the time she comes to Westeros.

All armies from Central Essos - Dothraki, Unsullied, other Slaver Bay armies - are more-or-less completely militarily worthless and will get crushed in Westeros, which will help Daenerys' road into darkness and her decision to use dragons as WMDs. (This is in fact one of reasons why I believe Daenerys will turn into a tyrant, real or perceived - her garbage armies will leave her with no other choice).

40 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

Littlefinger did not start or want the war of the five kings. His main motivations was to prevent Stannis from gaining prominence in the court and later from ascending to the throne and keep his own head and position. The way things turned out was a disaster for him. He didn't plan to go back to the Vale. He fled there.

Seems weak man

hed clearly  always planned to rise to head of the vale using lysa's obsession with him..hes been prepping the vale for his rule for some time, look how easy he utterly defused all resistance to him and is securing control. 

He just needed a sufficent title once lysa was widowed to marry her !  hes the one who made the starks suspect the lannisters for jon arryns death as he needed conflict and chaos to rise.

15 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Seems weak man

hed clearly  always planned to rise to head of the vale using lysa's obsession with him..hes been prepping the vale for his rule for some time, look how easy he utterly defused all resistance to him and is securing control. 

He just needed a sufficent title once lysa was widowed to marry her !  hes the one who made the starks suspect the lannisters for jon arryns death as he needed conflict and chaos to rise.

How exactly is that clear?

The whole fault in your line of reasoning is that he is more powerful now. That's just not true. Titles are of limited use to him. He doesn't have the prestige or the troops to make good on them. You'll have noticed that he faced near open rebellion over his guardianship of Robert.

In contrast, in King's Landing, prior to the war he controlled the finances of the entire kingdom, had the second most powerful man in the kingdom as his patron, had access to the most powerful people and had tons of others in the government either appointed by him or beholden to him. he even sold offices.

In contrast, in the Vale, he has spent money and do favors in order for him not to be removed. You can tell how much the title means to him, by the fact that he doesn't care whether Robert lives or dies.

29 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

How exactly is that clear?

The whole fault in your line of reasoning is that he is more powerful now. That's just not true. Titles are of limited use to him. He doesn't have the prestige or the troops to make good on them. You'll have noticed that he faced near open rebellion over his guardianship of Robert.

In contrast, in King's Landing, prior to the war he controlled the finances of the entire kingdom, had the second most powerful man in the kingdom as his patron, had access to the most powerful people and had tons of others in the government either appointed by him or beholden to him. he even sold offices.

In contrast, in the Vale, he has spent money and do favors in order for him not to be removed. You can tell how much the title means to him, by the fact that he doesn't care whether Robert lives or dies.

An 'open rebellion' he controlled from the start by having an insider ready prepped and only created by him having to kill lysa early..had lysa  not been  as loony hed have  had a much smoother time plus we know he had well picked mercs like brune close by should things get physical.

He had that patron murdered so he could cause chaos move up , the title of hand gave him control of finances and allowed him to skim off and get profitable brothels and bars but he was stuck and it was only a matter of time before jon arryn worked out he was being cucked (esp with varys watching)..in feudal society he needs titles.

He doesnt care if robert lives or dies as hes slowly securing the vale regardless through sansa and harry the heir...lil robert has a few more years/months at best.

Lf has secured for himself harrenhall, overlordship of the riverlands , the tyrells owe him for helping with joff  and  hes in virtual control of the vale (the only place unspoiled by war and as we see in the winter extracts is stockpiling food for when its prices skyrocket!!). Kl as we see hes still got  plenty of control of as all cerseis mercs (secretly doible dealing her to bronn+tyrion) were actualy LFs men, varys is gone, his brothel/alehouse money making/intel network is secure and itl be next winter before anyone can figure out what hes done with the crowns money!! 

1. Even among the sympathetic characters, most hold the lives of the Smallfolk pretty cheap.

2.  Ethically speaking, there is little to choose between five of the main six.  Tyrion is the outlier, a man with real darkness in him.

3.  There are no good or bad families.  Only better or worse individuals, and often, the dividing line between good and bad runs within people.

4.  Ned (and perhaps Jon Arryn) aside, the rebels as a whole  were no better than Aerys and his loyalists.

5.  Economic devastation and famine are much more savage weapons of war than dragonfire.

6.  No character in this tale is wholly good.  However, some are wholly evil.

You don't need to have Valyrian blood to ride a dragon.

Stannis is going to die of starvation regardless of whether he takes Winterfell or not (this is not based off my dislike of Stannis, I cannot see a way for him to not starve, other than almost everyone in the vicinity dying, because food in Winterfell is also running out).

Jon Connington will burn down King's Landing.

The Poisoned Locusts were for Strong Belwas in an attempt to rig the games.

20 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

An 'open rebellion' he controlled from the start by having an insider ready prepped and only created by him having to kill lysa early..had lysa  not been  as loony hed have  had a much smoother time plus we know he had well picked mercs like brune close by should things get physical.

He had that patron murdered so he could cause chaos move up , the title of hand gave him control of finances and allowed him to skim off and get profitable brothels and bars but he was stuck and it was only a matter of time before jon arryn worked out he was being cucked (esp with varys watching)..in feudal society he needs titles.

He doesnt care if robert lives or dies as hes slowly securing the vale regardless through sansa and harry the heir...lil robert has a few more years/months at best.

Lf has secured for himself harrenhall, overlordship of the riverlands , the tyrells owe him for helping with joff  and  hes in virtual control of the vale (the only place unspoiled by war and as we see in the winter extracts is stockpiling food for when its prices skyrocket!!). Kl as we see hes still got  plenty of control of as all cerseis mercs (secretly doible dealing her to bronn+tyrion) were actualy LFs men, varys is gone, his brothel/alehouse money making/intel network is secure and itl be next winter before anyone can figure out what hes done with the crowns money!! 

You're missing the following points:

1. There was a rebellion to begin with
  2. He is preparing for the next stage, where he doesn't have the title.

Littlefinger's situation means the title is causing him problems and he is setting up a situation where he doesn't have the title. So, where is the benefit? Why did he supposedly aim to gain the title and how does it make him more powerful in comparison to his position as Master of Coin prior to the start of the series?

The title does not allow him to exercise any actual power, any power he has is the same as he had in King's Landing. Rather than ordering people around as their Lord he bribes and manipulates them like he did before and he has to spent money to achieve it. The title rather than a boon is a burden as he has to spend political and literal capital to maintain it. The reason he does so is that he controls through it access to Robert, without which he would simply be irrelevant to most of the Vale. Which is why he is setting up a situation like in King's Landing where he can influence things as part of the Harry's inner circle.

There you hit on what I consider to be his only true agenda in the Vale: to profiteer on food. I'm not sure if he has any food on his own to sell, the food is the lords to sell. He probably plans to have some appointment regarding exports in Gulltown, through which he would take some commission on sales. He is not there, yet. He is still setting things up. 

There is also the fact that his machinations are corrosive to the ability of the Vale to function as a unit. The most powerful lord of the Vale will certainly not follow his lead and in matters of war it is questionable if even his own friends will take directions from him. The other major issue is that having granted the Gates of the Moon to Nestor Royce means that lord of the Vale has no seat for most of the year and will essentially be the hostage of whoever houses him.

You cannot compare also the amount of money that went through his hands in King's Landing where he treated the entire kingdom's economy as his personal bank, with whatever he stands to make in the Vale. He also cannot be said to wield influence in King's Landing through the Kettleblacks. Not only they are small fry, they are not under his control anymore.

As for being imperative to him to leave King's Landing. His whole financial bubble was bound to burst during the war, shipments and payments would have fallen through and he have fewer options when it came to borrowing money. His own value was that he never said no to anybody for money or anything else. He wouldn't have been able to produce money out of nowhere or to go along with anything his superiors said. For example, Cersei halted the payments to the Iron Bank. Was he going to go along with it? What was he going to do then when she would start demanding money out of him? The Kingdom's finances were becoming a hot potato, which is why he pushed Tyrion for the role.

The other reason he had to leave was the Tyrells. Littlefinger himself murdered Dontos, his own partner in crime so that he wouldn't talk. Why would he expect any different treatment from the Tyrells?