Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

:rofl:Says the guy who’s latched on to giving hate speeches on me every chance he gets. I think he gets a bigger hard on for that then his wife at this point. It’s quite pathetic,but don’t bother acknowledging it @polishgenius let him rant in peace about Edgelords and YouTube channels. I think he spends way more time there than anyone else on this forum. @mods take note, this guy is the first to start personal attacks in every discussion. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

These kids can't go a full week without mentioning how much they hate Kennedy. We heard you. You can stop now. 

Not hating, but surely you can acknowledge that after a decade of running Lucasfilm and getting decidedly mixed results (more negative than positive) a change of management should be considered once her contract expires ? From a financial standpoint, it makes sense given the performance of the last few SW products( the resistance show, solo, drop in ST episodes revenue, lacklustre ST merchandise performance, bad fan and critical reception etc) 

16 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Says the guy who’s latched on to giving hate speeches on me every chance he gets

*Pats the dopey child*

There there, I know comprehension isn't your strong suite. I understand you want to use big people words.

Edited by IlyaP

Regardless of her faults and failures running SW, I love how the hate for KK has utterly and completely supplanted the hate for George Lucas. Pre-2015/2014, seemingly no one was hated more by SW fans than George Lucas, mostly for the overall poor quality of the prequels and the needless and constant revisionism of the special editions. I was very, very much one of these people... still am honestly. Well, correction, I don't hate the man, but I don't really like much of his work anymore.

Now?

George Lucas is some sort of auteur and the prequels are good now and Kathleen Kennedy is too busy counting her money while force lightninging SW to death for funsies. Seriously, SW fans have the memories of gnats and MUST have an evil Dark Lord to rail against for the injustices done to their favored franchise.

Also, sorry, but the prequels are suddenly not good. They are still just as much poorly acted, poorly written, ugly CGI fests now as they were when they were released.

Also also, hot take, JJ deserves just as much blame for the poor handling of the sequels as KK. Dude should never be allowed to write or plan out a story ever again.

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

drop in ST episodes revenu

*Laugh*

The ST made 4.4 BILLION in revenue. It made a fuckton of bank, which is what studio execs want at the end of the day. ROI.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/05/20/star-wars-box-office-disney-jj-abrams-profits-fox-george-lucas/?sh=3f10f92b6276

6 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Also also, hot take, JJ deserves just as much blame for the poor handling of the sequels as KK. Dude should never be allowed to write or plan out a story ever again.

My head cannon only includes the original trilogy and Dark Forces II, 'cause Kyle Katarn's story slapped and Justin Chin is an ingenious level designer. 

Everything else is a fever dream, like season 9 of Dallas. 

12 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Pre-2015/2014, seemingly no one was hated more by SW fans than George Lucas, mostly for the overall poor quality of the prequels and the needless and constant revisionism of the special editions.

I remember walking out of the cinema after TPM (we got out of school early to see it), and some guy was kvetching about how (and I will never forget this line), "George Lucas raped my childhood". 

1. Rape should never be trivialised in such a way.

2. It's a movie series about space wizards with laser swords and faerie tale level ethics and story structures.

3. You're a grown man moaning because someone didn't meet your inflated expectations - which is itself an unrealistic expectation.

'99 was a funny year. We got The Matrix and The Mummy and Fight Club that year, which culturally stomped all over The Phantom Menace. 

I knew everything I needed to know about the movies from my dad's reaction, who laughed at Darth Vader, and, with his thick Russian accent that he never could eliminate, said "Only an American could come up with something as cartoonish, black and white, and simplistic as Darth Vader".

Gods love that man and his ruthless bon mots.

Edited by IlyaP

43 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

My head cannon only includes the original trilogy and Dark Forces II, 'cause Kyle Katarn's story slapped and Justin Chin is an ingenious level designer. 

Everything else is a fever dream, like season 9 of Dallas. 

Hey, nice job reminding me about Dark Forces II. I use to love that game when I was a kid. I didn't think anyone else remember it.

31 minutes ago, sifth said:

Hey, nice job reminding me about Dark Forces II. I use to love that game when I was a kid. I didn't think anyone else remember it.

There's still quite the active modding community for it, especially on ModDB, where there's a remastered edition that's up to version 3.0 now:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-remastered/downloads/jedi-knight-remastered-30

It's still one of the best games I've ever played, and playing it online using Microsoft Zone back in the day was incredibly fun. 

Edited by IlyaP

4 hours ago, Durckad said:

Regardless of her faults and failures running SW, I love how the hate for KK has utterly and completely supplanted the hate for George Lucas. Pre-2015/2014, seemingly no one was hated more by SW fans than George Lucas, mostly for the overall poor quality of the prequels and the needless and constant revisionism of the special editions. I was very, very much one of these people... still am honestly. Well, correction, I don't hate the man, but I don't really like much of his work anymore.

Now?

George Lucas is some sort of auteur and the prequels are good now and Kathleen Kennedy is too busy counting her money while force lightninging SW to death for funsies. Seriously, SW fans have the memories of gnats and MUST have an evil Dark Lord to rail against for the injustices done to their favored franchise.

Also, sorry, but the prequels are suddenly not good. They are still just as much poorly acted, poorly written, ugly CGI fests now as they were when they were released.

Nah, i never hated George. Grew up on the prequels.Don’t hate Kennedy either but I’d like new leadership at Lucasfilm once her contract expires because I think Disney can find better management who’ll at least form a concrete roadmap for the new set of movies.Filoni like Wert suggested, or even Feige if he’s up to it. JJ did the best he could with the mess that was TLJ and TFA, while derivative, was the best of the sequels IMO. 

The reason Lord and Miller got replaced is because they are famously horrible at being able to deliver finished things. They do reshoots and re edits and whole throwaways of things always because they believe things can always be improved. That can result in seriously amazing works of art - but it is absolutely atrocious for delivering something and even worse for the workers.

Rian Johnson delivered on time, on budget and required no massive reshoots. He was able to communicate his vision and deliver it. For a company like Disney - heck, for almost every group that actually wants to make money - that is a much more important thing. 

Imagine the hell of across the spiderverse production - no previs, constant reshoots, rewrites all the time - except with location shots and actors on set. You simply can't have people working on the same movie for 4 years in real life like they did for across. They would have to recast and redo things because those actors have contracts with other properties. KK stepped in - rightly - because it was a total mess. Lord and Miller are brutal but they can accomplish their views in animation (and probably gaming) in at least a feasible way.

Another way to put it - imagine GRRM directing and writing a movie by himself and how many rewrites, edits, changes and constant churn you have. Now add to that someone who doesn't respect anyone else's time, and you've got Lord and Miller.  

25 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Rian Johnson delivered on time, on budget and required no massive reshoots. He was able to communicate his vision and deliver it. For a company like Disney - heck, for almost every group that actually wants to make money - that is a much more important thing. 

Irvin Kershner and Gary Kurtz delivered Empire above budget (by some 8 Mn) and over time.Johnson shouldn’t get a pass for a sloppy,shitty script IMO

11 hours ago, IlyaP said:

BWAHAHAHAHA! 

So here's why I liked Solo: for years, all I wanted was a grungy, ground-level Star Wars movie that *didn't* feature magical space wizards, and I finally got it. Rogue One was a terrific war movie, but Solo was a terrific grungy, heist movie. It's probably the only post-Disney buyout Star Wars movie that I've liked. 

Though I still think Anthony Ingruber should have been cast in the role, in the place of Alden Ehrenreich. The dude both looks and sounds like Ford, and even played a young Harrison Ford in The Age of Adaline!

Andor