Watched, Watch, Watching: Pink Bombs

Corvinus85

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Having discussed it in more detail with my brother, who saw it today, I have come to the conclusion that Mission Impossible 7 would be a much better movie if they'd taken some tips on storytelling from the writers of Fast X. 

(that's not even a joke, Fast X is a much better-structured movie)

Admittedly it's also true that Dead Reckoning would be a better movie if it took some tips from the writers of Fallout.

This is some hardcore fanboying of that franchise.

Come on lads, they're both big, silly action 'spy' franchises. Let's not pretend that MI is some prestige format that can never be bettered. They're better, on average, but the better FF films are better than the worse MI films and Dead Reckoning was not without flaw.

Ultimately it comes down to Fast X was building to something the whole time whereas MI struggled to maintain that impression.

It also did a waaaaaaaay better job at shoehorning in a villain that turns out to have been connected to the hero for ages.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Come on lads, they're both big, silly action 'spy' franchises. Let's not pretend that MI is some prestige format that can never be bettered. They're better, on average, but the better FF films are better than the worse MI films and Dead Reckoning was not without flaw.

Ultimately it comes down to Fast X was building to something the whole time whereas MI struggled to maintain that impression.

It also did a waaaaaaaay better job at shoehorning in a villain that turns out to have been connected to the hero for ages.

Momoa's performance was better in a sillier way, but he was the highlight of Fast X. Though I had a hard time buying into his anger everytime he said Dom robbed him of his possibility of having a family considering he's a psychopath. To be fair, the MI7 did fail at exploring more of that past connection between the new villain and Ethan Hunt.

Interesting that both movies had a car chase scene in Rome. I found MI7's much better executed with superior visuals. Fast X looked incredibly fake.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I find MI to have much better constructed action set pieces, even the worst ones. 

I only watch stuff like MI at home unless a friend wants to watch it in cinema. Action movies don't tempt me to go to the cinema unlike Fantasy/SF or stuff they mainly show at the local arthouse cinema.

I really enjoyed the previous one though but that is because I'm a Cavill fanboy.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I find MI to have much better constructed action set pieces, even the worst ones. 

I think that's true from 5 onwards, I don't think it was really an action masterclass consistently before. But sure, the action in Dead Reckoning is better put together than in X (I don't think there's that big a difference in class but there is one).

But in this instance I specifically singled out the plot structure. Not the action.

37 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I only watch stuff like MI at home unless a friend wants to watch it in cinema. Action movies don't tempt me to go to the cinema unlike Fantasy/SF or stuff they mainly show at the local arthouse cinema.

I really enjoyed the previous one though but that is because I'm a Cavill fanboy.

Let me guess , you go to the theatres for every single migraine inducing, MCU film ?

37 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think that's true from 5 onwards, I don't think it was really an action masterclass consistently before. But sure, the action in Dead Reckoning is better put together than in X (I don't think there's that big a difference in class but there is one).

But in this instance I specifically singled out the plot structure. Not the action.

Fair enough 

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Interesting that both movies had a car chase scene in Rome. I found MI7's much better executed with superior visuals. Fast X looked incredibly fake.

To be fair, Fast X did include Dom taking care of the bomb by attacking a crane with his car. These movies operate on another level, and we are only barely worthy of insanely delightful, cartoonish, and extremely outlandish silliness.(I saw Fast X in Seat 10 of Row F at my local cinema. My wife was in F11. Because geeks gonna geek.)

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Chungking Express

Wong Kar Wai is right up there with my favourite therapists. 

A lot like Amelie, more poignant and gritty. Fallen Angels next. 

CE is in my top 20 favourite films. It's so good. SO good.

They Cloned Tyrone slaps with a pimp hand.  100% audience score on RT right now.  I think it's pretty good.  It satirizes well but plays the concept straight without the kind absurdism / surrealism found in other movies like Sorry To Bother You, or series like Atlanta.

John Boyega, Teyonah Parris and Jamie Foxx are all excellent. 

Edited by SpaceChampion

18 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Wow, two awful takes in such a short post... :P

I'm with Luzifer. Cavill was great in MI6, kind of a shame they killed him off.

Personally, I haven't actually seen an outright action film in a movie theatre in decades (that said, most memorable theatre-going experience I ever had was Terminator 2). Those are all viewing at home kinds of films for me, even the ones I like. 

And to bring it on topic, been watching the third season of Warrior, which is very much an action TV show. It's been .... fine? It's not a work of genius by an means, but has a couple of appealing performers and the action sequences never fail to impress.

Edited by Ran

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm with Luzifer. Cavill was great in MI6, kind of a shame they killed him off.

Personally, I haven't actually seen an outright action film in a movie theatre in decades (that said, most memorable theatre-going experience I ever had was Terminator 2). Those are all viewing at home kinds of films for me, even the ones I like. 

And to bring it on topic, been watching the third season of Warrior, which is very much an action TV show. It's been .... fine? It's not a work of genius by an means, but has a couple of appealing performers and the action sequences never fail to impress.

So what type of flicks do you regularly watch in the theatre ?