The Winter King

Mosi Mynn

Is there already a thread for this?

Off the success of The Last Kingdom, we're getting The Winter King - an adaptation of the first book in Bernard Cornwell's (King) Arthur trilogy.

Trailer here

It looks really grim, but it's less than two minutes, so hopefully this is not the only tone of the series.  Arthur himself was good natured and amiable in the books. 

This is my favourite Bernard Cornwell story/series.  He wove the Arthurian legends dexterously and cleverly with historical realism.  The series could be amazing - but they have to get the characters right.  Cornwell's versions of Guinevere, Nimue, Lancelot, Merlin, Culhwch, Aelle, and especially Arthur are complex and compelling.  I never thought of Iain De Caestecker as Arthur (only knowing him from Agents of SHIELD), but, if he smiles more than he does in the trailer, he could be Arthur.

Anyone else looking forward to this - apprehensively or otherwise?

The books are great and a faithful adaptation would be amazing. But this looks very generic. Since you don't need to shell out licensing money to do a generic King Arthur story, why did they spend the money if they weren't going to adapt the books? Bizarre.

I'm hoping it's a shit trailer and the actual series is closer to the books (with Derfel as the main character etc).

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The books are great and a faithful adaptation would be amazing. But this looks very generic. Since you don't need to shell out licensing money to do a generic King Arthur story, why did they spend the money if they weren't going to adapt the books? Bizarre.

I'm hoping it's a shit trailer and the actual series is closer to the books (with Derfel as the main character etc).

Myself, I’m eagerly awaiting the angst about ‘woke’ Sagramore. Bernard Cornwell, recast as leftist activist. It’ll be grand.

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Black Merlin. Waaaaaaaah!

You know it's coming. It might already be here.

And yeah, the trailer makes it look like a big old bag o' shite.

I find that bad writing often starts with the small changes, which cascade into large changes. The small changes generally don't make sense, but you support them because they are motivated by noble real world advocacy. But then the large changes rear their head, and suddenly the story is fully nonsensical.

Examples already mentioned: The Witcher and The Wheel of Time. I expect The Winter King to join this growing crowd.

I don’t get how people get pissed off by films like Gods of Egypt and Exodus for white washing and yet clamour for the black washing of shit like this. I mean it’s still racism if it’s the other way round as well, unless you’re specifically trying to make an alt history show like Bridgeton or a stylised musical like Hamilton.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

21 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I don’t get how people get pissed off by films like Gods of Egypt and Exodus for white washing and yet clamour for the black washing of shit like this. I mean it’s still racism if it’s the other way round as well, unless you’re specifically trying to make an alt history show like Bridgeton or a stylised musical like Hamilton.

The novel has black characters. Written like 30 years ago. By a (very nice) man (I have corresponded with) whose politics are…not super-left, let’s say. His yacht is called The Royalist if that gives you any indications. 

Usually I'm a sucker for anything in the Arthurian Cycle, but for some reason it never clicked that these books were about that. Just got the ebook for The Winter King based off the recs herein.

16 minutes ago, JGP said:

Usually I'm a sucker for anything in the Arthurian Cycle, but for some reason it never clicked that these books were about that. Just got the ebook for The Winter King based off the recs herein.

Oh, enjoy. Jealous of the first time read. So weird, I would swear this thread was the first I’d heard about this…I even clicked on it thinking ‘nah, this will be something else’ because for some reason this series is a bit of a secret. Maybe it’s the ~ supernatural element unique to these (for him) though it’s extremely sparse for an Arthurian work?…wow, long tangent between eclipses that I already overuse, anyways, was going to say that the weird thing is in the past couple days I had seriously toyed with a TWK reread for my next non-mystery fiction read, but decided against because I’d just reread AGOT a few books ago. I guess maybe “ so weird” was overselling it, but a topical coincidence at least. 

Edited by James Arryn

4 hours ago, IFR said:

I find that bad writing often starts with the small changes, which cascade into large changes. The small changes generally don't make sense, but you support them because they are motivated by noble real world advocacy. But then the large changes rear their head, and suddenly the story is fully nonsensical.

Examples already mentioned: The Witcher and The Wheel of Time. I expect The Winter King to join this growing crowd.

It'd be a risk, but if they say, made the first teaser a bit shit deliberately, test those dynamics. Slap with the actual trailer, people usually tend to talk more. 

My reading has been listless for almost two years. I don't know if it was covid, or whatever, this fucking absolutely lunatic world we live in, but only some books get through.  

Hope this helps lol

4 hours ago, JGP said:

Bro, what? Had I known this you would have read it 20 years ago 

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

The novel has black characters. Written like 30 years ago. By a (very nice) man (I have corresponded with) whose politics are…not super-left, let’s say. His yacht is called The Royalist if that gives you any indications. 

True and in a sensible way. But it's highly unlikely that a black man would have been a Celtic druid. 

Big fan of the books, started book 1 while in Glasgow airport waitong for first leg of flight to Chile; by time I landed in Chile, I was onto book 2.

Not too fussed by trailer, I’d expect them to focus on Arthur as non-book rewders wont know pr care who Derfel is