US politics: Trumpenslammer

IheartIheartTesla

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

‘I can’t believe we’re having this conversation’: the states pushing for 14-year-olds to serve alcohol

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/jul/31/republicans-child-labor-bars-alcohol-service-age-wisconsin

Huh. Had not seen that proposed bill. Oddly, I know someone from that town mentioned. It's Northern Wisconsin, and thus does not surprise me in their desire to back such a bill.

Obviously, even without the additional baggage, and connotations, that such a law would bring, it's just stupid. As someone who works in F&B, such such a draconian law pass, I would vehemently oppose using it, no matter how badly I might need staff.

Just ugh. Republicans and Conservatives will do absolutely anything to avoid allowing people to do better for themselves and be able to actually live.

41 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What’s next, conscription for 14 - 18 year olds?

Embrace freedom. 10 year olds should go back to working in factories. For $3 an hour. Greedy pricks are lucky to get that much. And what's with all these safety regulations? 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anybody else waiting for news to break about a 14 yo barmaid having to fend off a bunch of drunk middle aged men?

Don't blame the horse, we didn't vote for any of this. This merely making a prediction where this is going.

Well, you know in ye old golden days of yore, any woman who worked in a bar-tavern-inn-food providing place was also expected to comply with the customers' sexual demands for a very cheap fee.  Often these women were also enslaved.  Those were the Best Days!  Nor did the women get any of the sexual fee money, generally, unless master was a particularly kind and generous soul.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Huh. Had not seen that proposed bill. Oddly, I know someone from that town mentioned. It's Northern Wisconsin, and thus does not surprise me in their desire to back such a bill.

Obviously, even without the additional baggage, and connotations, that such a law would bring, it's just stupid. As someone who works in F&B, such such a draconian law pass, I would vehemently oppose using it, no matter how badly I might need staff.

Just ugh. Republicans and Conservatives will do absolutely anything to avoid allowing people to do better for themselves and be able to actually live.

I liked this tidbit-

The bills are backed by restaurant lobbying groups as part of a broader effort to loosen child labor laws[b] “to cut labor costs and deregulate employment”,[/b] the report writes

I remember back in the pizza hauling days how the teenaged waitstaff dreamed of the day they'd be old enough to serve alcohol. Many of them switched to bartending once they became of age.

That said...these kids are going to get screwed royally on their pay. Below minimum wage 'training pay.' Aka 'legal exploitation.'

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, you know in ye old golden days of yore, any woman who worked in a bar-tavern-inn-food providing place was also expected to comply with the customers' sexual demands for a very cheap fee.  Often these women were also enslaved.  Those were the Best Days!  Nor did the women get any of the sexual fee money, generally, unless master was a particularly kind and generous soul.

But think of the training they’ll get! Like slaves in Florida, getting ready for freedom!

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I liked this tidbit-

The bills are backed by restaurant lobbying groups as part of a broader effort to loosen child labor laws[b] “to cut labor costs and deregulate employment”,[/b] the report writes

We must protect our children from people that read them books!!! What about drunks in bars? That's perfectly fine, builds character, they learn valuable skills.

Edited by Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

But think of the training they’ll get! Like slaves in Florida, getting ready for freedom!

May I have on my bingo card one day some Southern right winger will call them interns? 

Asking for a friend. I'll hang up and listen. Save the teachers and pay the whales. Also, don't feed @Kalnak the Magnificent after midnight. 

Well for starters you did try to eat that lady's face when you accidentally took synthetic weed. But that's like only the seventh worst thing that happens when you were fed after midnight. The second worst is a doozy. Those poor hippos. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

This all reminds me of the case months back were a Chik-Fil-A had a mentally challenged person that they were "letting" work for years and neglecting to pay a single dime. They got there asses sued and judement for backwages and penalties, rightfully so. But can you imagine the mentality that was involved with the other employees and supervision to have allowed that to go on in the first place? Memory seems like they had the poor soul working for no wages for years.

I would make his manager do at least the same amount of time incarcerated, thats like kidnapping or human trafficking level lack of ethics.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This all reminds me of the case months back were a Chik-Fil-A had a mentally challenged person that they were "letting" work for years and neglecting to pay a single dime. They got there asses sued and judement for backwages and penalties, rightfully so. But can you imagine the mentality that was involved with the other employees and supervision to have allowed that to go on in the first place? Memory seems like they had the poor soul working for no wages for years.

I would make his manager do at least the same amount of time incarcerated, thats like kidnapping or human trafficking level lack of ethics.

I'd rather suggest that the manager be forced to work the exact same amount of years at the position (with the same amount of hours) as the mentally challenged person, also without getting paid a single dime. That would seem the most fitting punishment to me.

Thought about putting this in the climate thread, but it has a major US political component.

That said, pushing something like this is probably one of the dumbest things the democratic party could do. Now, in three or four years, when the entirety of the southern US is experiencing the 100 / 100 scenario - 100+ consecutive days with *low* temperatures in excess of 100 degrees (and a good couple dozen days of 120+ for highs), it might be a different story. Maybe.

Concerns that The White House Could Declare COVID-Like ‘Climate Emergency’ (msn.com)

44 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Thought about putting this in the climate thread, but it has a major US political component.

That said, pushing something like this is probably one of the dumbest things the democratic party could do. Now, in three or four years, when the entirety of the southern US is experiencing the 100 / 100 scenario - 100+ consecutive days with *low* temperatures in excess of 100 degrees (and a good couple dozen days of 120+ for highs), it might be a different story. Maybe.

Concerns that The White House Could Declare COVID-Like ‘Climate Emergency’ (msn.com)

Definitely not until the elections. If Biden/Dems retain the White House, and maybe one side of Congress, perhaps something like this can be done in the new term. 2025 is pretty much the deadline, no?

Waiting for commentary -- press conference? -- by Jack Smith -- he rarely speaks to the press about anything.  It was expected to come down at 6 PM.  It's 6:04 PM now.  I want to hear Smith, not the endless blather about 'what do dumpk's supporters think' and the response by his supporters in the House and Senate.