MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

It does look really good, but then so did the first season, which to be fair was really good in places but overall seemed to not quite come together as a satisfying arc. Something about being at Marvel means implementing truly great stories is very difficult. Probably the need to connect everything together.

I also really loved Season 1 and don't get the complaints about the landing, though my daughter (who absolutely loves Hiddleston) also felt it did not stick the landing as much. Still by far the best MCU Disney+ property no matter what, and I have some big hopes for it.

Plus the stunt casting looks awesome. 

Oh man, Secret Invasion was so bad. I’m sure this was all said in the last thread but

Spoiler

That scene with Fury and Gravik I spend the whole time thinking this has got to be G’iah right? Because that’s the only thing that makes sense for the story. But why is he having exactly the conversation Fury and Gravik would have? So then of course it is G’iah so WHY THE FUCK WAS SHE ACTING LIKE FURY FUCK THIS SHIT ASS SHOW

Anyway. Yes I loved Loki and yes the trailer for Loki 2 looks good.:mellow:

Saw GotG3 on Disney+

Really does make a total mockery of the recent garbage Marvel have been putting out since Endgame.

All they had to do was just make a movie that was funny, had heart, likeable characters, interesting villains, fun action and unique and well designed visuals, whilst not having embarrassing CGI.. like James Gunn seems able to do. 

Secret Invasion is my least liked show so far. Especially after just watching GotG 3 again.

Spoiler

Apparently after decades of searching, Fury and Danvers were unable to find the Skrulls a new home-world.

But at the same time Garden Worlds are plentiful enough in the universe that the High Evolutionary can blow one up for the hell of it, while also having a backup to make "Counter Earth 2".

Complaint about Secret Invasion number 2.

Spoiler

And I think the president said he wanted ALL aliens off of Earth in that dumbass speech at the end of SI. Does that include Asgardians?

Edited by A True Kaniggit

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Secret Invasion is my least liked show so far. Especially after just watching GotG 3 again.

Hide contents

Apparently after decades of searching, Fury and Danvers were unable to find the Skrulls a new home-world.

But at the same time Garden Worlds are plentiful enough in the universe that the High Evolutionary can blow one up for the hell of it, while also having a backup to make "Counter Earth 2".

Complaint about Secret Invasion number 2.

Hide contents

And I think the president said he wanted ALL aliens off of Earth in that dumbass speech at the end of SI. Does that include Asgardians?

Regarding number two, I read an article yesterday that says that would set up a plot for Thor 5 perfectly. :dunno: 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:03 PM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Still by far the best MCU Disney+ property no matter what,

I'd put Werewolf by Nighte quite close behind it in quality, but that was barely MCU. And also is an appetizer at most. 

Watched GotG3, and I did like it, but I do feel like it's a really good movie buried in a much longer, quite good movie. Felt like Gunn thought he needed to wrap everything he's been developing through the films up before he bowed out. 

Still, better than most of the post-Endgame stuff. 

Super late to the party but yea, Secret Invasion was incredibly disappointing. Barely anything in it actually landed as intended. I already brought this up, but it really is central to the entire premise; why the fuck is a space faring species tasking a non-space faring man with finding them a planet? What could he possibly be doing up on that station that they aren’t capable of doing themselves? How did he fail them exactly?

And it completely destroys what they were trying to do with his marriage, the twist that he’s married doesn’t work at all if he just left her for however long to do (*insert plot*) on the space station, then she maybe joins the other side to kill him…? Then he nearly just fucks off again at the end anyway? That’s not a marriage, so it’s not a twist.

When they first started the D+ series I know there was a lot of concern that there’d be too much homework involved in seeing the movies now, but they seemed to construct them in such a way that that wasn’t the case. WandaVision was skippable, you could just assume she had the same motivations from Endgame. Falcon & Winter Soldier basically ended with him accepting the mantle of Cap, which again, we’d all assumed he already did in Endgame. Loki generically painted Kang as a threat, but it wasn’t the same one in Quantumania.

I wonder if that’s not working against them a bit though? Secret Invasion just couldn’t drastically change the status of the MCU to the point where you couldn’t assume the Skrulls had the same motivations from Captain Marvel. So it just wasn’t about anything, the Skrulls started out unhappy they didn’t have a planet. And that’s where we leave them too.

6 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

When they first started the D+ series I know there was a lot of concern that there’d be too much homework involved in seeing the movies now, but they seemed to construct them in such a way that that wasn’t the case. WandaVision was skippable, you could just assume she had the same motivations from Endgame. Falcon & Winter Soldier basically ended with him accepting the mantle of Cap, which again, we’d all assumed he already did in Endgame. Loki generically painted Kang as a threat, but it wasn’t the same one in Quantumania.

I wonder if that’s not working against them a bit though? Secret Invasion just couldn’t drastically change the status of the MCU to the point where you couldn’t assume the Skrulls had the same motivations from Captain Marvel. So it just wasn’t about anything, the Skrulls started out unhappy they didn’t have a planet. And that’s where we leave them too.

There might be some truth in it but at the moment it really makes it harder to go into these movies if you didn't watch the tv shows in some cases. If you watched Endgame then the next thing you saw was Dr Strange 2, you'd be really wondering what the fuck happened to Wanda. 

Maybe you don't need to know much about Loki to get who Kang is in Quantumania but I'd guess it does create a lot of informational blanks if you didn't watch it. 

The Marvels features 2 characters from only the tv, and unless that movie spends a good portion of time reintroducing them it's going to be a bit of a hurdle to really get who the hell they are.

21 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

WandaVision was skippable, you could just assume she had the same motivations from Endgame. Falcon & Winter Soldier basically ended with him accepting the mantle of Cap, which again, we’d all assumed he already did in Endgame. Loki generically painted Kang as a threat, but it wasn’t the same one in Quantumania.

This is greatly incorrect, since WandaVision shows her having kids and that is the crux of her motivations in Dr. Strange 2.

I can agree about F&WS. Kang would be harder to explain without Loki, but mainly because Quantumania was lazy about the multiverse thing and banked on people having some info about Kang.

My memory was that Wanda saw the kids in another reality, and was obviously grieving for Vision, and went nuts trying to steal that life. I don’t remember Doctor Strange 2 ever actually spelling out that she had had a life with the kids already, but I’ve only seen it once. 

Kang might be legitimately more complicated if you’d seen Loki? It makes perfect sense by itself, he gets banished to the quantum realm, that’s basically it. You don’t need to know that there was once a version of reality where there was only one Kang. I assumed Loki would play into it more tbh. 

59 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

My memory was that Wanda saw the kids in another reality, and was obviously grieving for Vision, and went nuts trying to steal that life. I don’t remember Doctor Strange 2 ever actually spelling out that she had had a life with the kids already, but I’ve only seen it once. 

Kang might be legitimately more complicated if you’d seen Loki? It makes perfect sense by itself, he gets banished to the quantum realm, that’s basically it. You don’t need to know that there was once a version of reality where there was only one Kang. I assumed Loki would play into it more tbh. 

Wanda crafted a reality where she had kids with Vision, which then all went away at the end. Then through the Darkhold she heard the voices of her kids from a different universe and that prompted her actions in Dr. Strange. So besides the kids, the show also gives us the info about how she obtains the Darkhold.

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

All that without any allusions or references to Agents of SHIELD. For shame.

I thought with Agents Of SHIELD the whole point was that the information only flowed one way. Nothing that happens in the show should affect the movies, but the events of the movies would have ripple effects to the show. 

Seems like that isn't the case with Disney+ shows. I guess there is a desperation to get audiences to watch their streaming services so including important content in the shows is part of a plan to get more subscribers. Obviously none of those plot points can be vital to understanding the movies, but they always add context, and in the case of Wanda actually explain what the hell is going on.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

i've only watched black widow and that fucking shit one with the rings and the terrible dragons since Endgame, and i don't regret anything i've missed.   I might watch GotG just for closure on that one.  

SpiderMan is worth watching