MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

@Heartofice  Here's another movie that'll be right up your alley.  :lol: 

Margot Robbie has reportedly turned down the role already.

Lol! M-SHE-U!!

Anyway, hard to care, it’s not like FF4 has been a well looked after franchise up until this point! Just make a half decent one and you are ahead

However, why concentrate on Susan Storm of all people? Ok I haven’t read loads of FF4 comics but I’ve dipped in and out throughout my lifetime and I don’t even remember her being interesting in the Ultimate universe! It’s like every other character in that team has a hook except her. Sure blame it on old sexist writing but she’s literally the invisible woman! 

Edited by Heartofice

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Lol! M-SHE-U!!

Anyway, hard to care, it’s not like FF4 has been a well looked after franchise up until this point! Just make a half decent one and you are ahead

However, why concentrate on Susan Storm of all people? Ok I haven’t read loads of FF4 comics but I’ve dipped in and out throughout my lifetime and I don’t even remember her being interesting in the Ultimate universe! It’s like every other character in that team has a hook except her. Sure blame it on old sexist writing but she’s literally the invisible woman! 

I mean they do have possibly Marvel's coolest villain, Doctor Doom.

41 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's literally impossible to get Doctor Doom wrong!

Well, you'd have thought anyway! Its hard to think how they could have got him any more wrong than they already have.

I just sort of assumed that you make Sokovia some sort of replacement for Latveria and run with it.  Immediate backstory and reason for a Super Villain swerve.

By the reports I've read though, Doom won't be the villain for F4.  :dunno:  Maybe they are saving him for a full on phase villain.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

By the reports I've read though, Doom won't be the villain for F4.  :dunno:  Maybe they are saving him for a full on phase villain.

In the comics, Doom is a big part in both Secret Wars stories (more the second, but iirc quite a bit in the first too). I can see a scenario where things go hectic and he steps in and that's his introduction. 

Wild theory time: Kang either wins or breaks the multiverse in Kang Dynasty and the last line (or post-credits sequence) is a mysterious figure delivering 'all hope lies in Doom'. 

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I was kinda hoping it might have 4 leads… just me maybe.

Is it too much to hope for fantastic leads, even? We'll probably end up with an actor with no stretchable range, one with a solid if stoney performance, a rock and roll burn out and an actress who is invisible in every scene she's in.  

/smh

On 8/4/2023 at 10:19 AM, BigFatCoward said:

i've only watched black widow and that fucking shit one with the rings and the terrible dragons since Endgame, and i don't regret anything i've missed.   I might watch GotG just for closure on that one.  

I enjoyed GotG as a standalone film. As someone who doesn't keep up with MCU I appreciated that it made enough sense and was still fun without the full context,

Fantastic Four is such a garbage team anyway. The best things going for it is Doom - which is almost always a better villain in other contexts and against better foes - and the interactions with other teams, like the X-Men. I don't really care about Sue Storm being the lead, mind you - she at least has a much cooler power than stretching and smartness or being a rock - but none of them are that interesting, cool, or fun on their own. 

FF are also really problematic for the MCU in general. They're kind of redundant with Tony Stark's role, they routinely have this ridiculous amount of tech that they just...don't share with anyone at all. Most of their villains are either very lame or very weird (like MODOK or some of the microverse crap). If you have to do a FF movie I'd recommend just going a very, very different direction with them. Or hell, copy Ellis' planetary arc and have them be the secret villains of all the things. 

Saying the FF are boring is just not true at all.

Ben Grimm is easily one of Marvel's best characters, just on his own. He held down a team-up title twice, something only Spider-Man has been given otherwise. Sue is a fantastic character when written well: very few superheroes get to be mothers and almost none get to be one and not be defined by it. Written properly, she's literally the heart of the team. Reed is often, lazily, written as a sort of uncaring monster (or worse, the secret villain which is a boring, edgelord idea, typical of Ellis, who is overrated IMO) but written well is a keystone of the Marvel universe, the inverse of Doom, the man Doom wants to be but never can be. Even Johnny, Valeria and Franklin can be and have been written well. And the team, as a concept, has been very adaptable, switching out membership and working well despite it. Ryan North's run right now is getting rave reviews.

The FF are absolutely a great team, better with Doom, sure, but a keystone of the Marvel line even without him.

I don't see why Ben Grimm is particularly good, especially compared to all the other characters they have out there. And yes, any characters can be good if written well but most of the FF lore is exceedingly stupid. In particular their backstory and how they came to get their powers isn't that great or compelling. 

I know that they have been popular in the past in the comic age - particularly for old school folks - but there is nothing particularly great about them as a team or as a message. Certainly nothing compared to XMen or even Avengers. You can do things that are decent with them I guess, but choosing them with their largely shitty powers and backstory automatically puts you at a disadvantage.

14 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I don't see why Ben Grimm is particularly good, especially compared to all the other characters they have out there. And yes, any characters can be good if written well but most of the FF lore is exceedingly stupid. In particular their backstory and how they came to get their powers isn't that great or compelling.

Ben works the best out of all 4, IMO

He's a sympathetic character and to be honest, I often view him as the heart of the team. Many think he's simply the mussel, but he's honestly such a kind person, I love his stories so much. He often serves as a moral compass for Reed Ricards.

Just now, sifth said:

Ben works the best out of all 4, IMO

Not a high bar

Just now, sifth said:

He's a sympathetic character and to be honest, I often view him as the heart of the team. Many think he's simply the mussel, but he's honestly such a kind person, I love his stories so much. He often serves as a moral compass for Reed Ricards.

He's somewhat sympathetic but he's also not particularly clever, his power is boring, he's visually not that interesting and he tends to face really dull villains on his own. I will admit though that having an actually kind, nice person as a superhero these days may actually be a pretty decent hook. 

12 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I don't see why Ben Grimm is particularly good, especially compared to all the other characters they have out there.

I could write a lengthy answer about how Ben embodies the best of Lee and Kirby in terms of their character tropes, but the shorter response is: as we all know, the whole reason the Avengers were the basis of the MCU was that Marvel had sold off the really popular properties' film rights. X-Men, Spider-Man, and yes, the Fantastic Four. The Avengers were the remnants that nobody wanted. They're now the leading IP, but for decades they were behind the FF in popularity (and the FF in turn were behind the X-Men and Spidey).

It wasn't Iron Man on all the lunch boxes and duvet covers in those days: it was Bashful Ben Grimm. Along with Spidey and the Hulk, he was the face of Marvel for years. 

Edited by mormont

Yeah Thing is one of the most recognisable figures in the MCU. I have always enjoyed his character from original Secret Wars, the conflict of him being the one FF member to be basically permanently disfigured by his powers and all that entails is just quite compelling. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah Thing is one of the most recognisable figures in the MCU. I have always enjoyed his character from original Secret Wars, the conflict of him being the one FF member to be basically permanently disfigured by his powers and all that entails is just quite compelling. 

They are called Marvel's First Family for a reason. 

I'm with Kal on FF. I grew up reading X-Men in the 80's and 90's. I tried out FF a few times outside the crossovers, but never found the team or their dynamics particularly interesting. Neither cinematic versions have raised the bar.

They've always been visually iconic, yes.

Edited by Myrddin