MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

It’s interesting that had 2023 Stark not been struck by 2012 Hulk, Loki wouldnt have gotten free, abd its likely Kang would have continued with the Blessed timeline or whatever its called.

And so Wanda would have not necessarily turned bad as there would have been no kids in an alternate universe to tempt her, and so the Kamerataj (sp) would not have fallen …

May wouldnt have died and Peter woudlnt have needed to wipe everyones memory of him …

Janet van Dyne would have had a very different experienxe in the quantum realm, and quantumania woukdnt have happened…

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea really enjoyed that. I hope this season starts to pull together some threads so we can start building to Kang Dynasty / Secret Wars.

FYI there’s a post credit scene.

When I saw 8 min. left in the episode when the credits started I assumed a post-credit scene.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When I saw 8 min. left in the episode when the credits started I assumed a post-credit scene.

My first reaction was ‘fucking Disney’, most of their shows have ludicrously long credit sequences. I think the credits for I am Goot are longer than the show. Made me almost miss the post credit sequence for this!

Anyway, really liked that first episode, lots of fun to be had and kept me guessing. Hope it keeps it up.

They've hit the reset button entirely on Daredevil.

It didn’t take long to see the problem after Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again paused production mid-June during the writers strike. Fewer than half of the series’ 18 episodes had been shot, but it was enough for Marvel executives, including chief Kevin Feige, to review the footage and come away with a clear-eyed assessment: The show wasn’t working.

So, in late September, Marvel quietly let go head writers Chris Ord and Matt Corman and also released the directors for the remainder of the season as part of a significant creative reboot of the series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The studio is now on the hunt for new writers and directors for the project, which stars Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer turned superhero.

With Daredevil’s new direction, Marvel hopes to right the ship on a project with sky-high expectations. The show is Marvel’s first to feature a hero who already had a successful series on Netflix, running three seasons. But sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. 

I’m assuming this is in any form not just the red horned costume. If so, then Christ that sounds dull. Hopefully it wasn’t 3 episodes of him doing the walk of shame again! 

Even though the company does not have a writers-first approach to TV, directors could feel short-changed as well. “The whole ‘fix it in post’ attitude makes it feel like a director doesn’t matter sometimes,” says one person familiar with the process.

This seems a huge issue for a lot of Marvel content

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I’m assuming this is in any form not just the red horned costume. If so, then Christ that sounds dull. Hopefully it wasn’t 3 episodes of him doing the walk of shame again! 

This seems a huge issue for a lot of Marvel content

Yeah, that whole article really explained a lot of why we have all sort of felt "meh" about both Marvel and Star Wars products on the D+ platform I think.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah, that whole article really explained a lot of why we have all sort of felt "meh" about both Marvel and Star Wars products on the D+ platform I think.

It sounds as if they are learning from mistakes but I suspect the entire setup at Disney is too entrenched to allow it change 

I’ve seen a lot of people welcome this as good news but I can’t really tell. Either it was heading to be on par with the other fairly weak shows we’ve had, and they wisely shook things up. Or, it was quite good but a bit bold, and they Marveled it and bled it dry of any distinguishing creativity and it’ll turn out fairly weak. 

Hopefully they just get as much of the Netflix team back and make season 4. If this turns out as good as Daredevil’s weakest season, it’d be my favourite D+ show.

I'm not not enjoying the second season of Loki. It looks great, the performances are great, it's fine. But at the same time, the plot is a lot of 'let's go do this urgent thing! OK, we've done that, now another urgent thing!' Stop Loki timeslipping, fix the loom, find Sylvie, stop the rogue TVA agents, etc. And I feel it's disguising the fact that it's not really clear what this season is about. What's the overarching plot? Who's the antagonist? Kang's coming, we keep being told, but nothing that's happened so far really relates to that? I feel like the series keeps throwing stuff in so the audience doesn't have time to think about that.

I think they miss the original showrunner: it's good, but it's not on the level of the first series, and it feels like it exists just because folks liked the first series so much.

I checked out after ten minutes of Loki episode 2 to go watch Futurama instead. Mobius and Ourobouros are fun, but in general it's too frenetic – not enough time for character moments or building atmosphere. Loads of exposition pushed into episode 1; then masses of running around with things happening because someone thought they'd look cool rather than because they have narrative heft. It feels like an unremarkable sort of video game. 

12 hours ago, dog-days said:

I checked out after ten minutes of Loki episode 2 to go watch Futurama instead. Mobius and Ourobouros are fun, but in general it's too frenetic – not enough time for character moments or building atmosphere. 

Should’ve stuck around for more than 10 minutes, there were plenty of character moments.

I was really glad to see others wonder if they missed an episode, I had no clue why they were hunting X5, or why they need to find Sylvie so desperately. It took me a while to realise X5 was the same guy from the first episode. 

The season is short on exposition but I think I read it as follows; the TVA always used to clip timelines before they had a chance to establish themselves as full Branched Universes. They thought this was to preserve the sacred timeline, but actually it was Kang preventing other Kangs. But now, the TVA all know that it was a ruse and have split into factions; Renslayer is off doing something we don’t know yet, that other women figured that bombing all of them was the best plan (clipping back to the sacred timeline, except this time it’s tragic because these are branch timelines and therefore everyone in them dies instead of being merged back).

I actually don’t think I understand what Loki and Möbius’s feelings are here? They definitely wanted to stop the bombings, but also definitely want to stop Kang…? So what’s their strategy? I’m also having to adhoc some logic about the flow of things; possibly TVA time is tied to Kang, so now that he’s ‘dead’, even though that’s the end of time, they share the same linear flow of time that Kang does so he’s also not overseeing things anymore? Or something.

I do like this second season, thought the first episode was great and a lot of fun, a quality bar higher than a lot of other marvel shows. 

Second episode highlighted an issue in that the plot of the show just feels too confusing and I really can’t remember half of what happened before. It’s trying to create a sense of tension and urgency, but doesn’t quite manage to help the viewer understand why they should care. All I know is, they need to do something because if they don’t.. something bad happens.

To be fair I’m kind of fine just following along regardless because the performances in the show are so good, and there were many fun scenes to keep me focused.

I also appreciate that visually the show looks great, the grainy 70/ 80s sci aesthetic of the TV pushes my buttons.

This episode did feel a bit like nothing happened however, as if the story just slowed down to a crawl compared to last weeks set up.  

I liked the second episode. I think the show remains strong...having read a couple comments on here before watching about feeling like an episode had been skipped, I wondered if they were showing things out of as part of a larger picture...