UK Politics: Step Right Up, Step Right Up. Come Marvel At Our Amazing North Sea Snake Oil. Will Cure All Your Electoral Woes. Get It While It's Hot ;-)

Spockydog

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

My father in law just said the tory party aren't 'properly right wing' and I don't know where to go with that, what does he want them to do, how big a monster is he? 

He is good at looking after my kids though. 

Could it be that he (perhaps misguidedly) has a rosier view of what 'right wing' (kind of like 'traditional conservative') is supposed to be and therefore is attacking the Tories from that angle? Just throwing out a random hopeful option perhaps? Fingers crossed (because I want to believe)! :dunno: :worried:

Sorry for not responding to your helpful posts, earlier, to those who did. A pipe burst at our place in Tuscany and went through the floor into the (babies’) room and soaked their bed. (wife’s friends were using it) was dealing with that and now my daughter has been coughing/throwing up/diarrhea since I left, just got bad again tonight…my poor wife, trying to talk her into my coming home. (My other daughter has started coughing too, which was the first symptom for her sister). She’s been going through it since I left and as I was the stay-at-home parent this is her first extended period alone with them, and it’s been really rough. She has been up all night 2 of the 3 nights since I left. I have to stay long enough to fix the pipe issue at the villa; I know less than nothing about plumbing, but apparently it’s fairly straightforward. But after that I am totally willing to head home…sunk cost, all that…but I don’t know if my constant offers to do so are making her feel like she’s failed or I don’t think she’s up to it, or similar, but she keeps side-stepping my offers.

Again, willing to take any advice…this is all new ground for us/me. Not promising I’ll be able to respond/thank the kind souls who offer suggestions as I did and failed to follow through with earlier because of all this happening, but any advice is helpful. I realize this is very OT for this thread, it’s just where I began this so feels more appropriate, but if mods think it’s too tangential let me know please.  w/e happens the next few days/week are going to be pretty intense. Again, symptoms: cough, vomiting (including one projectile) diarrhea and her stomach is very painful, but my wife thinks that’s probably gas. And she has shown no elevated temperature. 

Fuck, literally first time leaving them is with an ocean and over a month between us and my daughters (other one earlier in, just the cough her sister has, but I worry she’ll follow the same path) and my exhausted, overwhelmed wife have been really going through it since I left. She worries about money a lot more than I do, so does anyone know if a sick child is sufficient to get them to let me switch to an earlier return flight? Doesn’t move the needle for me, but if so I think she’d come around on me coming home much quicker.  

To not make her feel like I’m pushing too hard or not being supportive of her ability to do this alone, I also said that this might just be off to a (very) bad start and I’d understand if she wants to wait a while to see if it normalizes; it’s not an unreasonable plan. Sorry if this is incoherent, took sleeping pills and I’ve been up for all but 1 7hour sleep in the past 5 days, mind is straying/fraying. This was kinda my worst fear w/r to leaving. 

Edited by James Arryn

Many if not most of those starving kids she's so concerned about are on benefits, and if they were well fed, Platell would be whinging about that because their parents are lazy scroungers. It's so transparently 'why don't you all fight over scraps?' it's barely worth bothering with.

On 8/10/2023 at 1:27 AM, Spockydog said:

I see Lozza's post-divorce-meltdown has entered its Blackface phase. 

The clown is trying to sue a guy on Twitter for calling hin racist. Blacking up on said platform will really help his case

51 minutes ago, A wilding said:

You have to laugh. It is costing the taxpayer more to house these people than if you gave them a holiday on a cruise liner, and they still can't get it right.

They were so desperate to show how cruel they are, they exposed these people to deadly disease. 

I assume that's because, a) they knew about the bacteria, but just didn't care, or, b) they conducted tests for the presence of deadly bacteria, but moved people in before they knew those results, because they just didn't care. 

Either way, methinks Suella better be hoping nobody dies.

Also, some of the comments I'm seeing about this are extremely disturbing. The people making them are appalling. They make me ashamed to be British. :ack:

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

These morons can't even traumatise asylum seekers properly. Useless. 

I know not the point, but bacteria are not viruses. Simply not the same thing. Anti-biotics work on bacteria but not on a virus.

Sorta the small stuff that kinda grinds my gears.

Monbiot said that this government has nothing to offer the public except their cruelty to other people, particularly people not from this island, and that is 100% accurate. It's why the tory chairman is out there trying saying their electoral strategy should be the 'culture wars'

On 8/11/2023 at 10:08 PM, Raja said:

Monbiot said that this government has nothing to offer the public except their cruelty to other people, particularly people not from this island, and that is 100% accurate. It's why the tory chairman is out there trying saying their electoral strategy should be the 'culture wars'

Monbiot also says that we need to reintroduce Wolves into the UK! 

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/11/britain-deer-population-ecological-disaster-wolves-humans-predators

Does anyone take what he says seriously?

Edited by Heartofice

I'll need more than "Monbiot said it" to discount the idea of re-introducing previously native species into rewilding areas.
It's generally worked pretty sell so far, and (to my limited knowledge) is an idea with a lot of ecological minds approving it.

As for the point you're distracting from - other than performative evil - what exactly DO the tories have to offer anyone?