Your Unpopular ASOIAF Opinions/Hot Takes

Maegor_the_Cool

19 minutes ago, The Stannis Inquisition said:

Hot take: The fact that the series is unlikely to be finished means that it will never truly be possible to definitively shoot down some of the crazier theories that pop up.

This is forever, folks. 

So technically no one can disprove my Hot Pie=TPTWP theory. 

13 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

That would be an upside. But then there’s all the downsides like Tully Madness Is Real, Johnnie Walker Is Real, Bran Sauron Palpatine Voldemort Is Real, Arya Dahmer Gacy Bundy Is Real, and on and on… :eek:

Edited by kissdbyfire

1 hour ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

No one can disprove my 'Renly is alive because the one Stannis killed in ACoK was actually one of Robert's bastards serving as a body double, check the eye colour' theory either. Intriguing.

21 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

No one can disprove my 'Renly is alive because the one Stannis killed in ACoK was actually one of Robert's bastards serving as a body double, check the eye colour' theory either. Intriguing.

If future novels aren't like the end of an episode of Scooby Doo with everyone pulling off masks and revealing that they were actually middle-aged men trying to make a buck off some kind of real estate scam I will be sorely disappointed.

"Like, zoinks, Ghost, I can't believe that the Bolton army was actually old man Jenkins this whole time!"

Edited by The Stannis Inquisition

4 minutes ago, The Stannis Inquisition said:

some kind of real estate scam

With everyone fleeing Westeros due to the White Walkers, I would have been able to buy all that land really cheaply. After people discovered the Others weren't real, I would have made a fortune selling it back at a higher price. And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!

28 minutes ago, The Stannis Inquisition said:

If future novels aren't like the end of an episode of Scooby Doo with everyone pulling off masks and revealing that they were actually middle-aged men trying to make a buck off some kind of real estate scam I will be sorely disappointed.

"Like, zoinks, Ghost, I can't believe that the Bolton army was actually old man Jenkins this whole time!"

I found a drawing of Sam unmasking a White Walker as Craster.

2 hours ago, The Stannis Inquisition said:

The Others: and we would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!

12 hours ago, sifth said:

Hot take, I think we'll get an end to this series................I just don't know if GRRM will be the one to write it.

I heard that he doesn't want anyone else finishing his work. I hope that's not true though. It would really tarnish the franchise f it wasn't completed imo. I don't care how much he says otherwise.

28 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

I heard that he doesn't want anyone else finishing his work. I hope that's not true though. It would really tarnish the franchise f it wasn't completed imo. I don't care how much he says otherwise.

I mean if we're being technical, D&D already have.

I find is absurd how the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns only have a few members alive by the events of the series. Like what happened to the rest? And yes I know GRRM said there are Stark cadet branches and it's just nuts that they haven't made an appearance in the story either.

Like there are two (three if you count undead Catelyn) Tullys left, two Baratheons left, one Arryn (a bunch of Gulltown Arryns and a Harrold Hardyng who's an Arryn from the female line), and just straight up kids of Ned Stark. You can't tell me that these houses don't have more relatives lying around right??????????????

Robb is probably underrated as a commander to an extent. Many people seem to think that the Blackfish and his councilors developed all or most of his military plans. They definitely helped, but there's no indication that Robb was being lead like a dog through his campaigns. And even if I was extremely generous and said that his advisors developed the plans, he'd still have needed the good sense to listen to them. Every commander in history and in these books develops his plans with his war council and delegates tasks. That's not a mark against him as a general. When you do it all on your own, you end up getting stuff like Theon's takeover of Winterfell, where he takes over the castle successfully, but doesn't seriously consider the strategic implications of it.

TL;DR Robb is one of the best generals in asoiaf.

4 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

I find is absurd how the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns only have a few members alive by the events of the series. Like what happened to the rest? And yes I know GRRM said there are Stark cadet branches and it's just nuts that they haven't made an appearance in the story either.

Like there are two (three if you count undead Catelyn) Tullys left, two Baratheons left, one Arryn (a bunch of Gulltown Arryns and a Harrold Hardyng who's an Arryn from the female line), and just straight up kids of Ned Stark. You can't tell me that these houses don't have more relatives lying around right??????????????

It's not that surprising.  A couple of generations of bad luck, and you can whittle a decent size family down to nothing.  Early deaths, marriages that produce no offspring, unmarried offspring, too many girls, and your main line can go poof!  Then you're stuck going back several generations to find a branch, and it likely will have a minimal connection.

Look at any royal family tree and you will find lots of backtracking when the main line ends.  Admittedly, having several major families suffer it simultaneously is a bit much, but they did have a big war a few years back, and just finished another one.  So not too absurd.  Plus I expect GRRM is mainly giving us only the parts of family trees that are relevant to the story.

8 hours ago, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

3 hours ago, Nevets said:

It's not that surprising.  A couple of generations of bad luck, and you can whittle a decent size family down to nothing.  Early deaths, marriages that produce no offspring, unmarried offspring, too many girls, and your main line can go poof!  Then you're stuck going back several generations to find a branch, and it likely will have a minimal connection.

Look at any royal family tree and you will find lots of backtracking when the main line ends.  Admittedly, having several major families suffer it simultaneously is a bit much, but they did have a big war a few years back, and just finished another one.  So not too absurd.  Plus I expect GRRM is mainly giving us only the parts of family trees that are relevant to the story.

Precisely.

Look at the last two generations of Starks. Rickard had four kids, of whom three were boys. Two of them died before producing (official) offspring and a third joined the Night's Watch, so only one was available to continue the Stark line. Then of Ned's children, one dies before having children, one is crippled and presumably rendered infertile, one joins the Night's Watch... 

Steffon Baratheon had three sons. More than enough to guarantee the succession, you'd have thought. But one of them had his children poisoned in utero by his wife, another one produced only one girl, and the third was murdered by his brother before he could have children. And sure, the circumstances in both the Starks' and Baratheons' case were exceptional, but it goes to show that it doesn't take much to whittle down what should be a healthy number of descedants to pretty much zero. And of course the same circumstances are affecting all these houses simultaneously! The Arryns and Starks took a lot of damage during Robert's rebellion and the buildup, and the Baratheons and Starks again during the WotFK. 

There are probably some cadet Starks from Artos's line. These would be third or fourth cousins of Robb's generation. But because succession can pass through the female line, they're just not relevant to the story. The only relevant Stark cadet branch is the Karstarks. Succession through the female line, though, that is relevant, and it comes up fairly frequently: Harry the Heir, of course, the Royces as potential successors to Robb, Sansa/Arya's claim to Winterfell, Daenerys's whole thing. 

3 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

I find is absurd how the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns only have a few members alive by the events of the series. Like what happened to the rest? And yes I know GRRM said there are Stark cadet branches and it's just nuts that they haven't made an appearance in the story either

I mean, a story can only handle so many characters, and ASOIAF already has more characters than most stories.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy