US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

Liz Cheney has less chance of becoming Speaker than I do.  

It's probably gonna be Jordan because all Republicans in the house fear their right flank, and thus the "moderate" wing will cave, like they always do.  

Edited by Maithanet

Not American at all, but wouldn't electing Jordan just make Congress as a whole more dysfunctional?

He might (big *might* there) be able to get something through the House with R backing, but I can't see much he'd advance that Senate would touch. 

This being a stupid timeline, everyone would then rush to their Friendly Cable and complain about the no good Other Side, perpetuating deadlock.

Tell me I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Not American at all, but wouldn't electing Jordan just make Congress as a whole more dysfunctional?

Yes.  Congressional Republicans have been getting less and less competant and less interested in the nuts and bolts of passing laws and governing since at least 1994, and probably earlier.  This is just one more step down the road.  With Dems controlling the Senate and the WH, nothing meaningful is going to be passed in the House anyway. 

In this case, plenty within the congressional caucus actively seek out a shutdown.  It will make the government look incompetent and will hurt the economy.  The blame for that will then go onto Biden, which is what they want. 

I am still (sort of) rooting for that no name 'moderate' back bencher who somehow obtained 80 votes in one of the secret ballots. 

That, or four or five republican House members resigning or getting arrested, which given this clown show doesn't seem altogether impossible.

Jordan’s floor failure strengthens private push to empower McHenry
A bipartisan group is advocating for more powers for the acting speaker, possibly as soon as a second failed ballot.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/17/congress/mchenry-backers-gain-traction-00122037

The size of the GOP opposition to Jim Jordan's speakership bid has revived serious bipartisan talks to empower acting Speaker Patrick McHenry.

And the members pushing it could pull the trigger as soon as Jordan’s second failed ballot.

Centrist Republicans and Democrats are once again backchanneling about a possible vote to strengthen McHenry’s abilities to bring legislation to the floor — particularly spending bills, given a Nov. 17 funding deadline — amid the weeks-long impasse in selecting a speaker. They're pushing a short-term measure that would grant McHenry added powers and could pass the House by majority vote, though they have not coalesced around specific language.

“I think we should empower Patrick McHenry,” said Rep. Carlos Giménez (R-Fla.), who is a member of the Republican Governance Group and opposed Jordan on the floor. “The House shouldn’t be closed.”

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yes.  Congressional Republicans have been getting less and less competant and less interested in the nuts and bolts of passing laws and governing since at least 1994, and probably earlier.  This is just one more step down the road.  With Dems controlling the Senate and the WH, nothing meaningful is going to be passed in the House anyway. 

I feel as though the last mostly normal political year was 1999. Sure, there was some GOP nuttiness before then--a shutdown, the Clinton impeachment--but most congressional Republicans were at least somewhat serious about governing. Back then, I never remember feeling that every election was an existential choice between a Democrat and someone who doesn't really believe in democracy. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Edited by TrackerNeil

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I feel as though the last mostly normal political year was 1999. Sure, there was some GOP nuttiness before then--a shutdown, the Clinton impeachment--but most congressional Republicans were at least somewhat serious about governing. I never remember feeling that every election was an existential choice between a Democrat and someone who doesn't really believe in democracy. 

The Republicans' naked power grab during the Florida (fuck you Florida) recount in 2000 seems, in retrospect, like the mask coming off moment. I remember reading Hunter S. Thompson's thoughts at the time and he likened the expression on the faces of the brigade of Republican lawyers down there to a hyena with a sheep in its jaws. Of course a lot of those lawyers are now in Congress or the federal judiciary.

That was also when the right wingers on the Supreme Court went all-in to ensure their side would win. I had, until then, actually believed in the integrity of Supreme Court justices.

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The Republicans' naked power grab during the Florida (fuck you Florida) recount in 2000 seems, in retrospect, like the mask coming off moment. I remember reading Hunter S. Thompson's thoughts at the time and he likened the expression on the faces of the brigade of Republican lawyers down there to a hyena with a sheep in its jaws. Of course a lot of those lawyers are now in Congress or the federal judiciary.

That was also when the right wingers on the Supreme Court went all-in to ensure their side would win. I had, until then, actually believed in the integrity of Supreme Court justices.

Indeed. And after this ugly power grab, their concern for the popular vote and representative government went spiraling down the drain. Bush's 2004 win notwithstanding, the strategy from here on out would be eeking out technical knockouts via their electoral college advantage.

"They're harassing our spouses": Top Jordan ally admits he's losing support as Republicans rage
"Jordan will likely have FEWER votes today than yesterday," top Jordan ally Scott Perry predict

https://www.salon.com/2023/10/18/theyre-harassing-our-spouses-top-jordan-ally-admits-hes-losing-support-as-rage/?

.... Jordan over the weekend reportedly implemented bullying tactics and pressure campaigns to foment support from other Republicans, strategies which ostensibly backfired. Notably, Axios reporter Juliegrace Brufke, on Sunday shared an email she was given that showed how a representative from Fox News host Sean Hannity's show asked officials to explain why they weren't in favor of Jordan. And Rep. Bacon's wife received anonymous text messages warning her that her husband's political career would suffer if he did not support Jordan's bid for the House speaker role. “Why is your husband causing chaos by not supporting Jim Jordan? I thought he was a team player," the unidentified messenger wrote. “Your husband will not hold any political office ever again. What a disappoint (sic) and failure he is.”Jordan shows no signs of backing down, either. ....

Threats and bullying don't seem to be working effectively (at the moment at least) with his 'fellow' thugs.

Jeffries got the most votes. Though, alas (at the moment at least) not the majority.