Football: Guirassy-ing to victory

polishgenius

41 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Jackson appears physically incapable of putting the ball in the net.

Well that changed. He honestly could have had five goals today.

ETA: Haha, jinxed him. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

In the MLS, I enjoyed following St Louis City SC this season.  The city had been trying to get a pro football/soccer team for at least 15 years, and now they finally have one.  At the beginning of the season, the pundits predicted that they would finish at the bottom of the table.  Instead, they won first place in the west division.  Even though they lost their last 4 games and got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round, they had a great season overall.

I'm so glad I recorded Tottenham-Chelsea so I could watch it in its entire miserable glory. So many thoughts.

1) This must be the most unsatisfying win for Chelsea against a main rival that I've seen. Really the best team didn't win this one. After their 2nd goal, Chelsea continued to look like they didn't realize they were winning and kept making stupid decisions to win the ball, silly fouls in dangerous areas etc. smh

2) Spurs were certainly not immune to idiocy and their first half implosion was a sight to behold. Dark sorceries must have been afoot. If Pochettino starts looking haggard in the next week, it's because all those curses and hexes took a toll. "Sorcery is a sword without a hilt."

4) If at first you don't succeed in beating the ridiculous Spurs highline when they're down to 9 men, try, try, try, try again.

5) Pedro Porro has thrown his name in this year's Oscar race.

6) Spurs' fighting spirit in the 2nd half was admirable. I would do the Rhaegar quote again, except they didn't fight that nobly, just valiantly. So instead I'll say that as the Spartans at Thermopylae they got overwhelmed in the end by superior numbers.

7) Jackson finally scored some goals, a hattrick no less. His first two were literally served to him on a platter, but the 3rd looked decent enough to make me think he'll finally gain some confidence.

8) Some poor officiating again, mainly from the sideline assistants. At least PGMOL seems to be walking on eggshells these days. If Caicedo's goal hadn't been ruled off for offside, would they have even looked at Romero's challenge?

Edited by Corvinus85

It's embarrassing! It's a disgrace!

Nah I'm kidding, we've had a lot of decisions go our way recently so we were due some to go against us.

Proud of how we performed with 9 men though.

Glad Ange didn't embarrass himself by having a go at the ref after the game.

The injury to VDV is going to screw us.

Romero such a loose cannon, sometimes I feel like it outweighs his good qualities as a defender.

Tbf, Ange really had nothing to complain about. The red card and second yellow were both correct - both Udogie and Romero should have been sent off earlier in fact. Dier's disallowed goal was offside.

Ange's Spurs have been a lot of fun to watch though. Throwing caution to the wind might blow up in their faces on the odd occasion but at least you'll be entertained. Must be a salve for Spurs fans after years of turgid ultra-negative football under Mourinho, Nuno and Conte.

20 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Tbf, Ange really had nothing to complain about. The red card and second yellow were both correct - both Udogie and Romero should have been sent off earlier in fact. Dier's disallowed goal was offside.

Ange's Spurs have been a lot of fun to watch though. Throwing caution to the wind might blow up in their faces on the odd occasion but at least you'll be entertained. Must be a salve for Spurs fans after years of turgid ultra-negative football under Mourinho, Nuno and Conte.

I think he mostly complained about Chelsea's fouls. Reece James was lucky to not get carded for his arm to the face.

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

Proud of how we performed with 9 men though.

I actually thought Spurs were pretty bad when they went down to 9. Chelsea were also pretty bad and scored 4, against a decent attacking unit playing like that Spurs could easily have shipped double figures. In fairness it was more down to Postecoglu's tactics than how the players did but playing that high a line with 9 players is pretty nuts. The point of playing a high line is to compress the play to make it easier to press but I'm not sure that's really feasible with 8 outfield players, a lot of the time Spurs were basically just ending up with about 7 players in a flat line on the halfway line. That's pretty pointless.

If Chelsea had been even semi-competent, they would have been out of sight before half time. 

But Sterling has never been good at timing his runs. To leave that kind of space for a speedster, though, that's simply laughable. Though, of course, Chelsea were for reasons unfathomable unable to capitalize on it.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It was predicted early in the season that people will start calling Postecoglu's tactics 'naive' as soon he starts getting bad results. Are we at that point already?

Not yet. That was their first defeat in the league after all and the two sending offs as well as losing Van de Ven and Maddison to injury are big mitigating factors.

But I do think that at some point down the line Spurs will go through a rough patch and Postecoglou will need to show a degree of pragmatism and tactical flexibility. Or he's going to be similar to Bielsa - someone who is praised for his brand of football but whose tactical inflexibility results in a short shelf-life.

Edited by Consigliere

Gonna be interesting. Which clubs would be hit by that?

Chelsea (interests in Belgian club iirc), City a bunch of clubs around the globe, Newcastle obviously, Manchester United/Ratcliffe (Nice and Lausanne I think), and Everton.