Israel - Hamas War VII

Fragile Bird

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

“You’re either with us or with the terrorists”

And Bush actually paradoxically got massive boost in support for his tough on terror rhetoric.

Biden’s approval continues to slip significantly. I do hope it’ll be before he hits the low thirties and he’s able to claw his support back through demanding Israel reign its violence before his election with a fascist for the most powerful political position in the world.

This is something that doesn’t really make sense within the context of US politics. I can understand American Muslims voicing their discontent with Biden, but the opposition is the Republican Party which has even more hardliners that are staunchly pro-Israel. It’s not like there’s a big left wing party that will suddenly sweep in to change the status quo. 

The US has a right wing party (Democrats) and an increasingly far right party (Republicans). 

This is one fucked up timeline. Eric Zemmour, the most xenophobic candidate in the last French presidential election, who is being prosecuted for denying a crime against humanity, the deportation of Jews by the Vichy government that collaborated with the Nazis, is visiting Israel and preaching about a war of civilizations.

During his three-day trip to Israel, the president of "Reconquête" visited a kibbutz that had been targeted by Hamas attacks on October 7, toured the Tel Aviv forensic medicine center, and met with families of hostages held in Gaza. He mainly focused on taking photos, wearing a bulletproof vest, giving interviews on CNews, and making xenophobic remarks, promoting the idea of a "clash of civilizations" in which the conflict between Israel and Hamas was seen as the forefront.

Upon his arrival, the former journalist from Le Figaro shared his perspective on anti-Semitism in France, blaming "Islamized suburbs" and the Quran for its origins, stating that the Quran was "the source of anti-Semitism." He added, "The young Muslims who are anti-Jewish haven't read Maurras or Drumont," in an attempt to rehabilitate his views. Charles Maurras, a staunch anti-Semite and anti-Dreyfusard, was a prominent figure associated with the Action française, a movement whose current activists largely supported Éric Zemmour during the presidential election.

[...]

From Israel, Éric Zemmour has thus endeavored to strengthen his apocalyptic view of the world, entirely focused on his xenophobic obsession towards Muslims. "We believe there is a clash of civilizations," he explained on CNews the day before his departure, "We defend our Judeo-Christian civilization that is under attack." Faced with a "Western world in mortal danger," Israel, according to his identity-driven logic, would be a civilizational outpost that should be defended at all costs.

https://www.mediapart.fr/journal/politique/021123/en-israel-eric-zemmour-cultive-ses-obsessions-identitaires

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

This is one fucked up timeline. Eric Zemmour, the most xenophobic candidate in the last French presidential election, who is being prosecuted for denying a crime against humanity, the deportation of Jews by the Vichy government that collaborated with the Nazis, is visiting Israel and preaching about a war of civilizations.

Unsurprising really this nazi would weaponize anti-semitism to demonize immigrants in a way that’d make more socially liberal people in society more wary to call out.

It should also noted Much of the far right admire Israel’s policies(least how they perceive them) concerning Non-Jewish Israelis and Palestinians(to which they also hate because perception of not being white and Muslim) and because it’s a place they can pressure/advise jews to go to and be away from them.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, House Balstroko said:

I can understand American Muslims

It’s not just American Muslims, Biden’s conduct thus far in relation to the conflict has been unpopular with other groups Biden needs. Like Young people. 

2 hours ago, House Balstroko said:

but the opposition is the Republican Party which has even more hardliners that are staunchly pro-Israel. It’s not like there’s a big left wing party that will suddenly sweep in to change the status quo. 

Yeah, it’s unfortunate. The fear isn’t these people will vote republican, they’ll not vote at all for Genocide Joe

Reporting saying that Israel opposed the notion was directly rejected by Netanyahu, who said he would consider them. Secretary of State Blinken is back in Israel and it's top of the agenda, in fact.

Now that the encirclement of Gaza City is complete, it feels like about the right moment for it.

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Reporting saying that Israel opposed the notion was directly rejected by Netanyahu, who said he would consider them. Secretary of State Blinken is back in Israel and it's top of the agenda, in fact.

Ah okay. 

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Now that the encirclement of Gaza City is complete, it feels like about the right moment for it.

I don’t know how to respond to this so I won’t.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

7 hours ago, Mudguard said:

I encourage everyone who is spending time arguing with the same 4 people on a forum devoted to a fantasy series to find a protest against Israeli actions in their area and attend it. Hopefully international pressure will continue to grow and force the current Israeli government to cease its slaughter. I shall be doing so tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Civil engagement is always good. I approve. :thumbsup: 

Needless to say, there are other demonstrations and rallies one might also consider supporting, too. 

Ive attended 3 anti- Putin rallies in Europe since that invasion began, and I'm always up for attending most any peace rally. 

28 minutes ago, Ran said:

Civil engagement is always good. I approve.

Yes, we should always take the opportunity to exercise our rights.

In the UK (and elsewhere) there is a worrying trend of slowly trying to clamp down on rights, using the excuse that the Parliament is democratically elected, as if voting for someone means you give them a seal of approval to trample all over your liberties.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Civil engagement is always good. I approve. :thumbsup: 

Needless to say, there are other demonstrations and rallies one might also consider supporting, too. 

Or none in the situation.

Demonstrations about this situation here in Austria involve groups on both sides I would never march with.

I'm not walking with pro-Putin groups or groups the openly say they want sharia law. Or groups that don't consider marital rape a crime. Or groups that want to push all Palestinians out of Israel.

But I'm really inflexible about that which has limited me to climate change and anti-Putin protests in recent years.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

15 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

But I'm really inflexible about that which has limited me to climate change and anti-Putin protests in recent years.

Yeah finding yourself standing next to a Nazi skinhead is far from ideal. That's why i generally have been aiming at attending peace rallies, cuz those types don't normally attend such a thing. 

Not doing anything at all isn't much of an option for me, however. I'd just waste even more time arguing with people on the internet. Also, as a civilian, you might say I have an interest in other civilians not being viewed as collateral damage.  

Just now, Relic said:

Yeah finding yourself standing next to a Nazi skinhead is far from ideal. That's why i generally have been aiming at attending peace rallies, cuz those types don't normally attend such a thing. 

Not doing anything at all isn't much of an option for me, however. I'd just waste even more time arguing with people on the internet. Also, as a civilian, you might say I have an interest in other civilians not being viewed as collateral damage.  

Actually most rallies that have "peace" in the name were heavily pro-Russian here in Austria in recent years. Pro surrender of Ukraine basically. The same organizers are involved in some pro-Palestinian demonstrations and others are organised by Islamic organisations. The pro-Isreal demonstrations have participation of extreme groups even if the organizers are less extreme.

Maybe I'm jaded because I use to organize rallies, but I don't think they have much impact anymore outside of local issues. Half of Europe could rally against Putin and nothing would probably change. Likewise, the same numbers could protest against the Israeli government and I'm not sure Netanyahu would change course. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe I'm jaded because I use to organize rallies, but I don't think they have much impact anymore outside of local issues. Half of Europe could rally against Putin and nothing would probably change. Likewise, the same numbers could protest against the Israeli government and I'm not sure Netanyahu would change course. 

You go to these because it makes you feel slightly less helpless and makes people feel less alone. I have been told by a refugee from Ukraine that they are thankful that some Austrians show up. 

I mean I'm a doomer and don't believe that stuff like Fridays for Future will do anything but giving the kids hope that not all adults are against them can't hurt.