Original AFFC Outline

The Bard of Banefort

Yes, I saw a video on this yesterday too. Something is up with the Mountain's teeth apparently?

Not sure how up-to-date these notes are - the guy who provides research from the Cushing Library material said on reddit that the versions stored there have already diverged somewhat from these AFFC notes.

It's 20 years ago now he wrote this stuff, but since we have no Winds, then this tidbit will be gobbled up in no time and spawn a hundred new theories! :) 

Edited by Sandy Clegg

1 minute ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Yes, I saw a video on this yesterday too. Something is up with the Mountain's teeth apparently?

Not sure how up-to-date these notes are - the guy who provides research from the Cushing Library material said on reddit that the versions stored there have already diverged somewhat from these AFFC notes.

It's 20 years ago now he wrote this stuff, but since we have no Winds, then this tidbit will be gobbled up in no time and spawn a hundred new theories! :) 

I think the missing teeth indicates that it isn’t the Mountain’s skull. It wasn’t mentioned that he lost any teeth.

Davos’ plot appears to have changed the most. Despite his love for writing Tyrion, George seemed kind of unsure what to do with him.

Sansa resolving to take the North technically happened in the last Alayne chapter, it was just kept kind of ambiguous how she felt about it. Was Sweetrobin originally going to get married? But the biggest takeaway is that the Mad Mouse is going to die (or was in this draft, at least). Is Sansa going to be the one to kill him? If he tries to kidnap her, it might be in self-defense. Would that lead to her exposure? And I guess George forgot how old she is lol.

It sounds like GRRM didn’t plan on having Darkstar kill Arys until very late in the game.

There is one glaring omission: Aegon. But it’s possible George was saving him for ADWD.

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It sounds like GRRM didn’t plan on having Darkstar kill Arys until very late in the game.

Darkstar didn't kill Arys in AFfC, Areo Hotah did.

But it's true that in the draft I saw from 2004, Arys and Darkstar both gave themselves up to Hotah, and Myrcella went uninjured too. I suspect George's very sketchy early notion as indicated here was that Balon Swann would show up to reclaim Myrcella at Cersei's command, and then realize that the Dornish are up to something and that Arys Oakheart is in cahoots, and they'd end up fighting one another.

Sansa leading the Vale to reclaim the North seems potentially on the cards. I'm guessing the 'Hound' Brienne fights is an imposter Hound not the actual Sandor. Is the Prince of Sorrows the Shrouded lord? Interesting regardless. End with Hardhome written big is interesting to me. Does he mean the Pyke letter arriving, or Jon choosing to go to HH, or was Jon originally going to go to Hardhome and get wrecked by the Others?

Very cool finding. 

23 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Is the “news from White Harbor” about fArya? 

Which parts are you glad he got rid of?

For one thing, I don’t think it could ever make sense for Arya to return from Braavos so quickly to meet up with Davos, who really had no reason to be in Barrowton for Ramsay’s wedding. The Dorne note doesn’t make sense: why do the Mountain’s teeth matter? I also don’t like the idea of Kevan going back to Casterly Rock and settling down for winter. Admittedly, I wouldn’t mind Brienne facing off against the Hound, but it wouldn’t make sense in the context of what happened in ASOS.

17 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think the missing teeth indicates that it isn’t the Mountain’s skull. It wasn’t mentioned that he lost any teeth.

I don't think that a skull missing one tooth would prove that the skull is not Clegane's. It could have fallen at any point after his death.

If anything, I feel it should be the opposite. Elia remembering that Clegane lost one teeth in his fight with Oberyn, and the skull having all the teeth. But, as you say, that was never mentioned before, and it would seem a little bit forced. So I'm glad George (apparently) scrapped that part and chose to have Frankengregor.

Despite his love for writing Tyrion, George seemed kind of unsure what to do with him.

Yep.

Still, I wonder what this "witness to incest" means. Was George going to reveal that he knew about Cersei and Jaime all along?

There is one glaring omission: Aegon. But it’s possible George was saving him for ADWD.

Yes, given the name of the book, I'd assume that Aegon was always going to make his appearance in ADWD.

5 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Is the Prince of Sorrows the Shrouded lord?

Yes, that's one of his other names. George once said that he made several attempts at a chapter where Tyrion met the Shrouded Lord until deciding to scrap it.

Apparently, Tyrion asked him where do whores go, and the Shrouded Lord told him that he should get over it.

5 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I don’t think it could ever make sense for Arya to return from Braavos so quickly to meet up with Davos, who really had no reason to be in Barrowton for Ramsay’s wedding.

I was assuming that this plot was about Stannis sending Davos to intercept "Arya" when she is being sent to Barrowton to marry Ramsay. "Recapture" would make more sense in this context than if that was the real Arya, I think.

30 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Still, I wonder what this "witness to incest" means. Was George going to reveal that he knew about Cersei and Jaime all along?

That would be a little anticlimactic, since he seemed not at all surprised by the notion back in ACOK.

Perhaps it’s a scene that was adapted by the show.  Tyrion witnesses Dany and Aegon aka Young Griff perhaps.  The show later alters it to Dany and Jon Snow aka Aegon.

9 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Ahh ninjad! Totally! Never liked that guy, now it's Sansa ls turn to put a beating on these knights!

I can toally see him getting her all alone and telling her he know who she is and offering to take her 'home'... but she panicks and immediately attacks him (think a dagger through the belly like Arya's first kill, or shoving him from some precipice or another like LF did to Lysa). Beautiful. I like the Mad Mouse and I'll be sad to see him gone, but I love this potential plotline.