Trailer Thread

AncalagonTheBlack

On 1/9/2024 at 9:15 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I do hold out hope for The Three Body Problem. Scifi is in desperate need of resuscitation after The Expanse ended. For All Mankind started out promising, but within the first season devolved into a vacant, didactic soap opera, and The Foundation is such an atrocity that it must in some way violate the Geneva Conventions (I exaggerate...slightly).

I was very annoyed of the changes the show runners are making of the story (I reflexively hate the idea of raceswapping to "update the story for a modern audience", and The Three Body problem is a specifically Chinese scifi story).

But upon contemplation I can see there being potential for the changes to work. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

Apparently Tencent’s adaptation is extremely faithful, other than seriously downplaying the Cultural Revolution.

It is. I've started watching it, which also contributes to my more open mind to the Netflix approach. I already have my very faithful version, so I suppose I'm ready to see what a more liberal approach to the story will produce.

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I wonder if there'll be an actual three-body problem in this version. 

:lol:

I think the title still holds up, and I'll propose two explanations that might serve as appropriate defenses.

1) The three-body problem is a classic, well known special case of the n-body problem. This is a thematically important issue exploring the unpredictable chaos of the universe, so even if four bodies are discussed, the idea of the three body problem is relevant. Calling the story the n-body problem, or the four-body problem, while more accurate, imparts less thematic weight. And three-body is not inaccurate in concept.

2) The mass of the planet relative to the stars is so small that it can be approximated away, presenting a three body problem.

12 minutes ago, IFR said:

:lol:

I think the title still holds up, and I'll propose two explanations that might serve as appropriate defenses.

1) The three-body problem is a classic, well known special case of the n-body problem. This is a thematically important issue exploring the unpredictable chaos of the universe, so even if four bodies are discussed, the idea of the three body problem is relevant. Calling the story the n-body problem, or the four-body problem, while more accurate, imparts less thematic weight. And three-body is not inaccurate in concept.

2) The mass of the planet relative to the stars is so small that it can be approximated away, presenting a three body problem.

I think the first point is fair, but the second one was more or less what amused me: iirc that jumped out at me precisely because, although the planet is very small, the book makes a big deal out of even tiny things making huge differences, chaos theory and all that - I can't remember the details but enough so that it defining it as a three-body problem and neglecting the planet clashed with that aspect.

Edited by polishgenius

The Gentlemen is an upcoming television series created by Guy Ritchie. It is a spin-off of Ritchie's 2019 film of the same name.

Cast

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack