UK Politics: Rwanda Rehash

Maltaran

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have serious doubt that a private school education is superior to a publicly funded school system. Are private schools repositories of esoteric knowledge that is unavailable to the rest of us? Are the teachers a better class of human beings than the rest of the population and more able to access the esoteric knowledge hidden in their schools. The only difference is better funding at the expense of those of us who have not the ability to send our kids there. As I see it a lot of the reasons for private schools is to keep your kids away from the real world and its issues for as long as possible.

If you really want a good education for your child, surround them with books and other resources so they can explore the world around them and actually learn and grow.

You make great points. I have to admit I had never looked at it from this angle. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have serious doubt that a private school education is superior to a publicly funded school system. Are private schools repositories of esoteric knowledge that is unavailable to the rest of us? Are the teachers a better class of human beings than the rest of the population and more able to access the esoteric knowledge hidden in their schools. The only difference is better funding at the expense of those of us who have not the ability to send our kids there. As I see it a lot of the reasons for private schools is to keep your kids away from the real world and its issues for as long as possible.

If you really want a good education for your child, surround them with books and other resources so they can explore the world around them and actually learn and grow.

The advantage is probably mostly in the prestige (for top unis) and making contacts with other rich people

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The advantage is probably mostly in the prestige (for top unis) and making contacts with other rich people

Bingo. The quality of education between a good public and good private school at most levels is minimal and the latter can have certain drawbacks as has been discussed. What you're paying for more than anything at a private school is networking opportunities, but it often comes at the cost of a less diverse culture and worse understanding of a more regular perspective. I think one of the great failures in both the US and UK political world is we have too many private school grads representing people they can't honestly connect with and often view them as inferior. 

52 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You make great points. I have to admit I had never looked at it from this angle. Thank you.

Like Flashman I can put that down to a public school education.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The quality of education between a good public and good private school at most levels is minimal

No question about it. The problem is the state/public schools that don't get enough money to give their students the best/high quality education. But when they do, they're usually better than public/private schools imo. They offer more diversity, better environment for students to thrive, and usually a lot less arseholery.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Do you actually think that separating yourself from your children and placing them at a heightened risk of getting buggered by some disgusting old cunt, for most of their childhoods, makes you a good parent?

Speaking as someone who was separated from his mother as a young child, this shit is verging on the barbaric.

As someone who went to both private boarding school and standard-state (I hated every minute of both, but the bullying was massively worse at state) - no, no I don't. Nor was I buggered, and nor was there any talk of anyone being buggered. (which, of course, is not to say that it didn't happen, there or elsewhere - but calling to it is pure, 100%, unadulterated prejudice)

Calling it child abuse is pure chip-on-shoulder.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

They shouldn't be, and I'd be totally happy to remove private education as an option (or at least, taxed into obliteration).

In the real world though - it's not that the knowledge, or the text books are better; but the environment, resources, class sizes, work ethic of peers and staff - matter (and, of course, there are plenty of exceptions).

And that's purely on the academic side of things. I don't think there's much doubt about better access to sports and other extra-curriculars.

Edited by Which Tyler

They should make it a law that no more than 1 MP from any school can sit at any time. 

Also noncing happens a lot in teaching of all levels. 

From a purely 'i can't be arsed with all the bullsht monarchy palaver' I hope Charles recovers. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

No question about it. The problem is the state/public schools that don't get enough money to give their students the best/high quality education. But when they do, they're usually better than public/private schools imo. They offer more diversity, better environment for students to thrive, and usually a lot less arseholery.

Just one more reason to tax the wealthy. They benefit from it anyways. A higher quality of education leads to a better work force and lower crime. 

Plus people really don't need more money than they can ever spend in one lifetime outside of having something to leave for their family once they take life's last great adventure. 

38 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

As someone who went to both private boarding school and standard-state (I hated every minute of both, but the bullying was massively worse at state) - no, no I don't. Nor was I buggered, and nor was there any talk of anyone being buggered. (which, of course, is not to say that it didn't happen, there or elsewhere - but calling to it is pure, 100%, unadulterated prejudice)

Calling it child abuse is pure chip-on-shoulder.

They shouldn't be, and I'd be totally happy to remove private education as an option (or at least, taxed into obliteration).

In the real world though - it's not that the knowledge, or the text books are better; but the environment, resources, class sizes, work ethic of peers and staff - matter (and, of course, there are plenty of exceptions).

And that's purely on the academic side of things. I don't think there's much doubt about better access to sports and other extra-curriculars.

If detesting the basic child cruelty and inequality that the private school system engenders is having a chip on my shoulder then so be it. 

I know only one person IRL who was packed off to boarding school for most of his childhood. He hated every second, and openly admits to having been damaged by the experience. 

And he says the buggering was rife.

Edited by Spockydog

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

I’d have to dig up the research but from memory, most of the improvement in academic performance comes from three factors: better teacher to pupil ratios, pupils being from social backgrounds who do better at this level of education regardless of what school they attend because their parents prioritise education and have the resources to support them, and the relatively low incidence of disruptive behaviour because fewer pupils come from deprived backgrounds. Private school is basically an educational gated community. The advantage comes from keeping the plebs out. 

Ps, private school =/= boarding school. Most private schools are not boarding schools and most of those that do offer boarding have numerous day pupils. 

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If detesting the basic child cruelty and inequality that the private school system engenders is having a chip on my shoulder then so be it. 

I know only one person IRL who was packed off to boarding school for most of his childhood. He hated every second, and openly admits to having been damaged by the experience. 

And he says the buggering was rife.

I bow to your obvious superior knowledge, gained from one person, as opposed to my being there, and for those years, pretty much everyone I knew also going to the same school (surprisingly), and then about 1/3 of my peers at boarding school.

You're obviously not prejudiced at all, just well researched and proven bullshit.

And again, I intensely dislike the inequality of the system, there are enough reasons to hate the system without inventing stuff.

Edited by Which Tyler

I know what it's like to be separated from my parents as a young child. Can't fathom that shit being done intentionally, in the name of a better education. As I said, it's fucking barbaric. I cannot imagine either of my sisters consenting to sending their kids away like that. 

Obvs, ymmv. 

Edited by Spockydog

41 minutes ago, mormont said:

I’d have to dig up the research but from memory, most of the improvement in academic performance comes from three factors: better teacher to pupil ratios, pupils being from social backgrounds who do better at this level of education regardless of what school they attend because their parents prioritise education and have the resources to support them, and the relatively low incidence of disruptive behaviour because fewer pupils come from deprived backgrounds. Private school is basically an educational gated community. The advantage comes from keeping the plebs out. 

Ps, private school =/= boarding school. Most private schools are not boarding schools and most of those that do offer boarding have numerous day pupils. 

Here in Ontario we have 4 different educational systems. 3 of them are publicand are a Catholic board, a French language board and the mainstream public board. The mainstream public board also has a French immersion component. Then there are the private schools. If you have a student with physical or mental issues, any of these boards, except the  mainstream one can refuse to accommodate a student. Even within the French Immersion a student can be asked to leave. By law though the mainstream board has to take all comers. Of course the average marks are down compared to the more selective parts of the educational system. Parents here game the system so their child gets into the so called better system. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

They should make it a law that no more than 1 MP from any school can sit at any time. 

Also noncing happens a lot in teaching of all levels. 

From a purely 'i can't be arsed with all the bullsht monarchy palaver' I hope Charles recovers. 

What about the (at least) two public holidays? (Funeral and coronation )

More "proven bullshit".

Anyone who went to a private school shouldn’t be shocked by the allegations – rape culture was everywhere

When I read that top private schools were facing accusations of “rape culture”, my first thought was that it’s about time. In the past month, thousands of former female pupils at illustrious schools including Westminster and Highgate have made claims of sexual assault at the hands of their male peers, with some alleging that their concerns were dismissed or buried when taken to staff.

Many people have found the testimonies shocking. But the only shocking thing is that it’s taken this long for people to realise how entrenched rape culture is within the private school sector. And while right-wing commentators might urge others not to place the onus on the schools themselves, arguing that this kind of culture begins in the home, their myopia only further illustrates the extent of the problem, particularly for pupils who, like me, attended boarding schools, and therefore spent more time on campus than they did sat round the table with mum and dad.

Edited by Spockydog

Even more bullshit:

Britain’s private schools are caught in a sexual-abuse scandal

For centuries, Britain’s public schools (a term for private schools designed to baffle people who didn’t go to one) were notorious for the “fagging” system that allowed older boys to abuse younger boys. Barely have they washed that taint from their reputations than another emerges. Over the past month, a wave of testimonies have been published of sexual harassment, assault and rape of girls—and private schools are their focus.

After a series of stories of abuse by pupils of some of the country’s top boys’ schools, Soma Sara, a former pupil of Wycombe Abbey, a top girls’ school, created a website entitled Everyone’s Invited. It now displays more than 11,000 testimonies of abuse. London’s Metropolitan Police is encouraging victims to come forward and the National Police Chiefs’ Council (npcc), the umbrella organisation of chief constables, is investigating them.

Edited by Spockydog

20 hours ago, Spockydog said:

As well as a big old dollop of child sexual abuse. And yes, it happens in every single one of these places.

Frankly, any parent who sends their kids to one of these places should be tarred and fucking feathered. 

"Ooooh, I love you, Timmy. Now fuck off to Eton for three months to get buggered by your housemaster."

You know, I'm generally in agreement with your posts, but this is fucking ridiculous and bordering on ad hominem. 

My sister is a Pakistani Brit who works her butt off, and is decidedly middle-class. She wants to give her kids the best possible future and opportunities, and for her a private school education is one of them. She's a great mum, and her kids are amazing and really well brought up. 

So anyone who throws around ludicrous shit like 'tarred and feathered' and 'barbaric' can fuck right off. How offensive and unwarranted, honestly. 

And I'm really sorry about what happened to you, truly. But the idea that all kids going there get sexually abused, or that's the only place where sexual abuse can take place, is bizarre. 

Edited by Crixus