UK Politics: Rwanda Rehash

Maltaran

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

JFC, this Stephen Bradshaw character is something else.

I had to look up the name to understand the comment. What a disgusting cover-up by the government. One of the BBC stories sets out the compensation schemes offered by the government, and some look reasonable, but I think 600,000 pounds for getting jailed, and possibly divorced and losing your family, just isn’t enough.

And I’m surprised that the media in the UK haven’t focused their attention on Fujitsu, who developed the software used by the Post Office. Hopefully the inquiry that’s started will get some answers.

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

And I’m surprised that the media in the UK haven’t focused their attention on Fujitsu, who developed the software used by the Post Office. Hopefully the inquiry that’s started will get some answers.

Fujitsu has started coming up today - there's questions being asked about whether they'll be contributing towards the compensation bill and how much, and whether they should still be getting government contracts.

I would still put most of the blame on the humans who did not question and investigate to properly verify whether the software was providing the truth when it started identifying so many people as alleged crooks.

29 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would still put most of the blame on the humans who did not question and investigate to properly verify whether the software was providing the truth when it started identifying so many people as alleged crooks.

“Oh look, what a fabulous new software system we’ve installed! Worth every penny! Turns out the Post Office is losing so much money because there are so many crooks running post offices! Hand out those bonuses, guys!”

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

“Oh look, what a fabulous new software system we’ve installed! Worth every penny! Turns out the Post Office is losing so much money because there are so many crooks running post offices! Hand out those bonuses, guys!”

Good thing AI was not involved or the false results would have taken a lot longer to get questioned and there would be a lot more resistance to accepting there was a huge screwup.

Since AI doesn't even exist yet it'll be a while before anyone can even try to put AI in charge of anything important. The worry is people think we already have AI and either put too much faith in it or are starting to panic about an imminent AI threat.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Rishi hoping dropping bombs on dark people will help his election chances? 

No, yes, kinda.

No, not in the sense of giving the Tommy Robinson a boner.

Kinda, yes. Suez canal is one of those key shipping routes. Civil ships getting attacked on its way there, means either increased insurance premiums, or if they take a detour longer shipping times and somewhat higher fuel costs. Either way, it adds to products prices (and thus inflation). So in that sense, yeah. Not that it's gonna save the Tories from an electoral route. Not even Corbyn might be able to do that.

The US and the UK (and pretty much any other major economic power) has an interest to keep this shipping lane disruption free. So the US leading a coaltiion to drop bombs there is not really surprising. Arguably it's more surprising that it took them this long.

52 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You can count the number of people in the UK who have heard of Yemen on one hand. That is obviously excluding people who watched Friends and saw Chandler get a plane there. Not sure it's a vote winner.

Whereas the population were massively aware of the hugely important Falkland islands before 83, and it definitely didn't increase Thatcher's popularity.  Its the show of strength, not the victim/target that matters.  

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No, not in the sense of giving the Tommy Robinson a boner.

I think you underestimate how utterly arousing the right finds the military.  They fucking love it, they even love the fact that our military beat the Nazi's, even though loads of them agree with the Nazi's.  That's how big their boner is.  

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Whereas the population were massively aware of the hugely important Falkland islands before 83, and it definitely didn't increase Thatcher's popularity.  Its the show of strength, not the victim/target that matters.  

Bizarre comparison. Falklands was a British territory containing British citizens. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think you underestimate how utterly arousing the right finds the military.  They fucking love it, they even love the fact that our military beat the Nazi's, even though loads of them agree with the Nazi's.  That's how big their boner is.  

Again, bizarre. None of this applies here. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That might be a bonus (boner bonus?),  but main point is really Suez Canal and the shipping lanes. I can'T stress enough how vital that one is.

Just look at any map. If you move stuff by ship (which is still the most common thing for long distance freights) from Asia to Europe (or the other way round), it's either Suez Canal or shipping all around Africa.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That might be a bonus (boner bonus?),  but main point is really Suez Canal and the shipping lanes. I can'T stress enough how vital that one is.

Just look at any map. If you move stuff by ship (which is still the most common thing for long distance freights) from Asia to Europe (or the other way round), it's either Suez Canal or shipping all around Africa.

Exactly , this is a geo political issue. The idea Sunak is involved as some sort of flag waving signal to the far right is just moronic.

The notion that Brits haven't heard of Yemen is a bit patronising and odd. This survey, which is back in 2018, finds that 58% of Brits knew that there was a war in Yemen then, so presumably, they'd heard of the place. 

https://humanappeal.org.uk/news/2018/10/42-of-the-uk-don-t-know-there-is-a-war-in-yemen-finds-uk-ngo-human-appeal-and-yougov

While Sunak is undoubtedly going to hope to get a bit of a bounce from this, it will be minimal and I don't see that he could really be accused of doing it for that reason. I don't doubt that any British PM would be doing the same. I actually, for once, agree that this is necessary. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Exactly , this is a geo political issue. The idea Sunak is involved as some sort of flag waving signal to the far right is just moronic.

Nobody said it was the only reason.  There's no way that it didn't form part of his decision making process in any way.  He's to vulnerable and weak for anything else to be the case.