International events

3CityApache

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Cheap at 10x the price.

Yeah and unfortunately they really need it.  We went nearly a decade ago and loved it, particularly up in Ubud/mountains.  Went back last year and it was depressingly bad.  The businesses were desperate and what was once a relaxed hippyish community of tourists has been replaced significantly by young Russians fleeing conscription and felt more like being in the middle of gangland.  Tattoo parlors, 'massage' parlors, and really rough looking bars everywhere.

Edited by horangi

Saw headline of joint ceasefire statement by Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Just wanted to ask if it's real/means anything (from those who live in these countries and understand the propaganda there a little better). I haven't been able to watch the news and I don't have the heart to. It all just feels so hopeless.

12 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Saw headline of joint ceasefire statement by Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Just wanted to ask if it's real/means anything (from those who live in these countries and understand the propaganda there a little better). I haven't been able to watch the news and I don't have the heart to. It all just feels so hopeless.

Finally the long war between Australia, nz and Canada is over

14 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

My understanding is that the three PMs issued a joint statement calling for a ceasefire and pleading w Israel to "listen to its friends". As far as I can tell it's 100% toothless in terms of having any real power to achieve anything. It's good to see more countries joining the chorus but I very much doubt Netanyahu & co will care at all.

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Finally the long war between Australia, nz and Canada is over

Never! Not until Australia concedes flat whites and pavlovas, and takes back all it's unwanted immigrants ruining our country (possums and wallabies).

Canada, well we need to crack that dairy trade nut, then we'll be sweet.

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, Khan wanted to maintain relations with everyone and the Mighty West can’t have countries getting these weird ideas and going for this “aggressive neutrality”. :rolleyes:

I don't think Khan's problem is that he fell out with the West though.  I don't think he particularly was "in" with the West in the first place.  At least once his political career became fruitful.

He had more internal problems.

6 hours ago, Bironic said:

Prabowo Subianto has won the presidential election in Indonesia. One of the largest states in the world. The election has been described as free and fair, which is not common for the region… He used to be military under dictator Suharto, and his prime minister is going to be the son of current popular president Jokowi…

Yes.  Interesting election.    One of the economic success stories in recent years, while embracing democracy, which seems to be rare these days.  The other interesting election recently was in El Salvador.  The implications there seem more ominous, beyond just El Salvador too.

Insofar as some statement about Israel goes, completely flew by the New Zealand 24 hr news cycle, or at least the news feed the algorithm has determined I should be exposed to.

27 minutes ago, Padraig said:

I don't think Khan's problem is that he fell out with the West though.  I don't think he particularly was "in" with the West in the first place.  At least once his political career became fruitful.

Probably. I wasn't so much defending Khan - not a fan myself - as I was criticising the interference by countries who just can't stop trying to tell everyone else how they should run their own countries. Perhaps everyone would be better off if they dedicated more time and effort trying to figure out their own problems instead.

And "aggressive neutrality" is one of the lamest & saddest excuses for this type of behaviour I have ever heard.

27 minutes ago, Padraig said:

He had more internal problems.

I bet he did.

15 hours ago, Crixus said:

Yeah, still unresolved. They did everything they possibly could to stop this happening:

I knew the election was about to happen due to seeing this on Reddit last week: 

Struck me as weird to be doing political advertisements in Aus like that, but I guess there are a lot of expats and there's no restrictions on their ability to do so.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Never! Not until Australia concedes flat whites and pavlovas, and takes back all it's unwanted immigrants ruining our country (possums and wallabies).

I don't see how we could possibly deny their re-entry to the country, they are our citizens after all. You'll have to gather them up and deport them though!

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I don't see how we could possibly deny their re-entry to the country, they are our citizens after all. You'll have to gather them up and deport them though!

Sadly easier to just carry out extra judicial executions.

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, Khan wanted to maintain relations with everyone and the Mighty West can’t have countries getting these weird ideas and going for this “aggressive neutrality”. :rolleyes:

Yep, exactly. Still no news on who will form a government - classic bizarre Pakistan! 

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

I knew the election was about to happen due to seeing this on Reddit last week: 

Struck me as weird to be doing political advertisements in Aus like that, but I guess there are a lot of expats and there's no restrictions on their ability to do so.

Yes, there are huge expat PK communities all over and they mostly support Khan. That says, 'avenge persecution with your vote' btw.  

RIP Alexei Navalny. Almost exactly a month before the beginning of the Russian elections.

The courage it took to voluntarily go back to Russia, knowing what he would face, knowing with a certainty that at the least he'd be given a long prison sentence on trumped-up charges, and would most likely conveniently die while in prison, is just staggering to me.