US Politics: Primary Schoolin'

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Alina Habba is odd looking and seems to lack, in my opinion, a degree of intellectual curiosity.  She seems very much Trump’s “type”.

She's not my type, thank God. But the human brain is a funny thing. The male brain, funny and sad.

7 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

What should happen is a national and campaign from Biden and the DNC saying that Trump and the GOP are for open borders, and not doing anything to stem the tide of immigrants at the southern border. Flip the script, quote these morons saying Trump is blocking the bill, make the case that they want to have a defeat for Biden more than they want to solve the border problem.

Doubt they'll do it, though. 

Honestly since Biden and Senate Democrats went down the route of doing a border deal might as well. If they did not confront the rhetoric and framing of some invasion going on then better to full commit.:dunno:

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Alina Habba is odd looking and seems to lack, in my opinion, a degree of intellectual curiosity.  She seems very much Trump’s “type”.

She is Trump's type, a pretty, empty suit lacky who will debase herself for him. 

I don't like to school shame people, but it's telling that his long time lawyer Cohen went to literally the worst law school in the country (the joke in college was if you had a degree and just showed up for the LSAT and signed your name you could get in) and now that he's in the fight of his life he has a lawyer that went to a school outside of the top 150 if I read the internet correctly who all the legal eagles on TV say is a moron. If Trump wasn't such a piece of shit he'd have an army of decorated and respected lawyers from tier one schools.

43 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I really like to think that I can override my overgrown chimpanzee brain. And usually I can.

But...Alina Habba!

I hate myself.

I can't help but think that there's something specific about famous females being involved in far-right circles (Fox, OANN... etc), but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's something close to a recurring combination of hairdo, makeup, clothes, posture, and intonation, that just screams the gender-coding so loudly that it's almost impossible for males not to get a mild biological reaction.
Well, it is the culture wars after all, uh?

3 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I can't help but think that there's something specific about famous females being involved in far-right circles (Fox, OANN... etc), but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's something close to a recurring combination of hairdo, makeup, clothes, posture, and intonation, that just screams the gender-coding so loudly that it's almost impossible for males not to get a mild biological reaction.
Well, it is the culture wars after all, uh?

Yes.  That is true.  They all feel plastic.  Nancy Mace doesn’t feel plastic… just… odd.

51 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Can we not do this 

The commentary on women's looks in this thread, or kicking off a civil war with Republican governors deciding to back Texas picking a fight with the federal government? Or both.

24 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The commentary on women's looks in this thread, or kicking off a civil war with Republican governors deciding to back Texas picking a fight with the federal government? Or both.

The first part, but yeah, fuck it, let's not have a civil war either.  

It is really interesting to me to see how we evolved from 2016 where they refused to do hearings for scotus to now, where they are refusing without any preamble to consider bills if they have any chance of helping a Democrat. 

And much like the scotus nom didn't do much chances are good this won't either.

Good news to some extent is that now that the immigration is basically dead senate Republicans are trying to figure out how to provide aid to Ukraine, either by itself or as part of the government funding bill. That will be a major delay - not until March - but it is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Can we not do this 

Yeah, no prob! Just had to get it out.

There is a somewhat more serious conjecture I entertain about right wing politics leaning more toward our potential for chimp-like social dynamics, while left wing politics leans more toward our Bonobo-like dynamics, but not only is it nothing but conjecture, the topic would be better suited for its own thread.

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria
sp

Immigration -- all the reports from the Wall Street Journal, to a variety of state and federal budget and economic agencies, is that immigration 2021-2022-2023 are what has saved the US economy from recession.

But then, all reports going a long way back say that immigration's effect on population is good for economies.

In the meantime, of course, the country was supposedly 'run' by a bunch of drugged out whack jobs.  This was reported yesterday in Rolling Stone, today it's in the WaPo.

Trump’s White House clinic improperly handed out narcotics, report finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/01/25/trump-white-house-medical-unit-drugs-improper/

.... Of the numerous problems with the medical unit, one of the most disturbing is its cavalier approach toward narcotics, particularly when the nation is suffering from a devastating opioid addition crisis.

“All phases of the White House Medical Unit’s pharmacy operations had severe and systemic problems,” the inspectors found. It stocked four opioid pain medications: fentanyl, hydrocodone, morphine and oxycodone. But the pharmacy protocols were so poor that they “increased the risk for the diversion of controlled substances” to illicit use.

For example, controlled medications, including sleeping pill Ambien and stimulant Provigil, were dispensed “without verifying the patient’s identity.” A witness told investigators “Dr. [X] asked if I could hook up this person with some Provigil as a parting gift for leaving the White House … in the unit, it was authorized for us to do that kind of stuff.” ....

But then, none of us here suspected otherwise, did we? :P  Not to mention alcoholics ... see, o, Giuliani, for instance.

Just now, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Bonono-like

Bonobo, please.  However, neither correct nor incorrect spelling is apropos or revelatory as to mango's choice of lawyers.

Giuliani was among his herd of idiot legal brains whacked out on a variety of substances.  Don't forget Cohen.

More to the point is that any attorney who is smart and a good legal mind knows better than to take him as a client, for a host of reasons, starting with getting s$tiffed, and becoming an adjacent subject of legal action oneself.

When is political violence ok?  I humbly submit this explanation:

definitely lower brow than the rationales examined in camus' rebel, derrida's force of law, or agamben's state of exception.

right wing politics leaning more toward our potential for chimp-like social dynamics, while left wing politics leans more toward our Bonobo-like dynamics

as regards conflict resolution, chimps beat the fuck out of each other whereas bonobos have sex with their adversaries? i get the rightwing chimp thing, but lefties have had a fairly poor showing historically, too.

2 minutes ago, sologdin said:

as regards conflict resolution, chimps beat the fuck out of each other whereas bonobos have sex with their adversaries? i get the rightwing chimp thing, but lefties have had a fairly poor showing historically, too.

Somewhat. Bonobo females select males who are less aggressive, while chimps are male-dominated hierarchical hell holes. Bonobos have aggressive flare-ups too, but better mediation, and plenty of make-up sex.

The Two Pan inspired predictive models for the 118th Congress

Chimpanzees: Congress devolves into a civil war.

Result: Death and suffering abound

Bonobos: Congress devolves into an indiscriminate orgy broadcast on every media outlet in the world.

Result: A computer scientist, witnessing the practical logistics of the debauchery, ponders the mechanics necessary to secure the incipient climax efficiently, has a eureka-moment of inspiration and creates a compression algorithm that will become integral to the world's first true AI.  

33 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Result: A computer scientist, witnessing the practical logistics of the debauchery, ponders the mechanics necessary to secure the incipient climax efficiently, has a eureka-moment of inspiration and creates a compression algorithm that will become integral to the world's first true AI.  

Mike Judge first predicted events with Idiocracy, and now we get AI: