True Detective: The Night Country is dark and full of terrors!

3 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

What's the issue with Foster on tinder?  People fuck.  It's a basic human need

I've been ranting on that since E1. I can't think of any reason the show is helped by why her having sex with half the characters or insinuated to have done so/ will do so.

And the word hillbilly?  How is that bad writing?  Yes, it's a synonym for redneck

How many times do you use that in a single episode. And those guys are fighting because someone called them so. Near the damn North pole. Wasn't Texas or shit.

I'm not sure why it's weird for it to be a go-to description of the kinda of guy who gets excited to wander around on S&R with a rifle

It's a weak substitute for any trigger happy fool imo

I'd take this over season 2s writing anyway.  Pretty sure Vince Vaughn says "apoplectic" at some point

Ugh, anything would shine in comparison to s2

I dig the orange- pretty good stand in for a pomegranate when you're north of the Arctic circle, no?  Maybe a nod to Persephone?

Nice, I like that. Since I've been fixated on the awoken one to be Gaea, more greek mytho please :) 

13 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

So far everything has mundane explanations, mostly through hypothermic hallucinations.  The zombie torso saying Ange's name and channeling her mother though, is an outlier.  I have no issue with any of this and am liking this far better than seasons 2 or 3 

What's the issue with Foster on tinder?  People fuck.  It's a basic human need. And the word hillbilly?  How is that bad writing?  Yes, it's a synonym for redneck.  I'm not sure why it's weird for it to be a go-to description of the kinda of guy who gets excited to wander around on S&R with a rifle.  Seems apt to me. 

I'd take this over season 2s writing anyway.  Pretty sure Vince Vaughn says "apoplectic" at some point.

I dig the orange- pretty good stand in for a pomegranate when you're north of the Arctic circle, no?  Maybe a nod to Persephone?  

1st bold, well the bar was set pretty low with those two seasons!

Underline, I think it's just the amount of sexuality, in just 3 episodes we see her have sex with her boss, she says she is on Tinder, then it's implied that she had sex with the young cop, hence Mrs. Robinson reference.

2nd bold, when I hear that term I reference it to the SE part of the US. Hearing it in Alaska seems odd, unless they are trying to tie those people in with season 1? Unless that's a common term used in Alaska? 

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Underline, I think it's just the amount of sexuality, in just 3 episodes we see her have sex with her boss, she says she is on Tinder, then it's implied that she had sex with the young cop, hence Mrs. Robinson reference.

Don't forget the mine owner and another whatshisname. Husband and whoever the father of that kid in the dreams provided she's the mom

38 minutes ago, dbunting said:

2nd bold, when I hear that term I reference it to the SE part of the US. Hearing it in Alaska seems odd, unless they are trying to tie those people in with season 1? Unless that's a common term used in Alaska? 

Hell, I've never crossed 66.5N and am willing to bet otherwise 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

1st bold, well the bar was set pretty low with those two seasons!

Hillbilly definitely has Appalachian origins but it seems pretty universal across the US in my experience.  Even if it's not the go-to word in Alaska it's not weird for a character to use it most of the time.  You could even call it characterization.  

Not to mention, people come and go in Alaska all the time.  It might be isolated but it's not like they don't have TV and people going in and out of there.  It's not like hillbilly is some obscure regional slang term.  

Ymmv but, to me personally, seems like a peculiar writing choice to criticize.

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

6 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Hillbilly definitely has Appalachian origins but it seems pretty universal across the US in my experience.  Even if it's not the go-to word in Alaska it's not weird for a character to use it most of the time.  You could even call it characterization.  

Not to mention, people come and go in Alaska all the time.  It might be isolated but it's not like they don't have TV and people going in and out of there.  It's not like hillbilly is some obscure regional slang term.  

Ymmv but, to me personally, seems like a peculiar writing choice to criticize.

I don’t get the impression that Foster’s character is supposed to be an Alaska native.

Ill probably tune in Sunday night just to follow the story along but this thing is a very, very distant 2nd to Apples "Masters of the Air" for new weekly episodes for me right now.

Im starting to wonder if theres really going to be a there, there, or just more marginal plodding?

I'm legitimately curious if people liked this episode. It is getting absolutely massacred by viewers on reddit right now. I'm sure imdb will follow form.

This thread - or at least a few participants in this thread - seems to provide the last bastion of positivity for this season. Which is fine of course.

I'm enjoying the dissonance because my bias is that I view professional critics as having the unique position where they are paid to make assessments on the quality of shows, but often ironically demonstrate themselves to be the least qualified to make those assessments. And then of course the critics proceed to insult the motivation of the audience members who disagree with them, and induce the audience members who share their opinion to likewise insult the motivations of those who do not like the show. So it is entertaining to see their favored show given a thorough thrashing.

Edited by IFR

There's that spider thingy from Stranger Things scribbled

If I had Danvers for a mom I'd become Holden too (The Judge, Blood Meridian) Naturalamente the natives keep dropping off like flies...

And Ange goes on to ask what I've been ranting since e1, anyone Liz hasn't fucked yet?

Successfully got me to hate the protagonists beyond redemption. First class arseholeness which no half assed trauma backstory can rationalize. 

Writing drops even more than the shitty acting. Poor man's horror moments. Budget that bad?

I'd drop if it wasnt just 2 eps left to wind up the shitshow. Ugh No wonder I get flak for having True Detective in my top 5 fave shows serializd profile. Just for the first season I endure. 

Edited by TheLastWolf

I like Jodie Foster and Christopher Eccleston, John Hawkes, Fiona Shaw, and Finn Bennett...

But I can't say this is anything but a badly cohering mess at this point. Strong shades of season 2 for me, without even its occasional grandiosity to leaven things.

Just _two_ episodes left, and we're basically treading water. They have tried to do too much with too little time.

Edited by Ran

The show is a mess to me, im sure some out there may find something entertaining with this, im just not certain what that would be.

Comparitively, for those that havent seen it, Hillary Swank has a entertaining series called Alaska Daily that I found more interesting with a similar setting and more follow-able premise than whatever this is.

Fwiw I enjoyed the previous TD seasons.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Yeah. This is definitely kind of a mess now. Jodie Foster is obviously a great actress but I just don’t buy her character at all. The cranky asshole she is seems so forced that it’s pretty comical at this point.

The last scene of this ep they tried way too hard to be TD1. Same kinda music and all that but not even close to as impactful. I found myself on my phone a bunch during this ep. Obviously not a good sign.

Edited by Ramsay B.

I genuinely don't understand the critique of Foster's character. She's presented as an abrasive asshole who most everyone hates from the very first episode. It's clear from this episode that, a) she was never a people person and, b) some trauma has made her even worse.

The execution of the crankiness. It just seems over-the-top at times.

Also, I think the show is going out of its way to show it over and over again and taking away from other stuff that could be more interesting. Like the scene when she went to the hotel then left abruptly after her son was brought up. I understand why they did the scene, but was it needed?