US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

An attempt by Idaho Republicans to repeal the state’s Blaine Amendment—a move that would allow taxpayer money to flow to churches and faith-based ministries across the state—has thankfully been placed on hold.

But not before a Satanist told lawmakers how they planned to take advantage of the potential new law to create a pro-Satan school.

https://www.friendlyatheist.com/p/a-proposed-satanic-school-helped

Lucas  [R-IN]  shows gun, students feel fear Tuesday at the Statehouse

https://www.thestatehousefile.com/politics/lucas-shows-gun-students-feel-fear-tuesday-at-the-statehouse/article_48a530d8-bfef-11ee-9a78-8b0a2abe7689.html

A day after he was caught flashing his gun to a group of high-school students visiting the Statehouse to advocate against gun violence, Rep. Jim Lucas, R-Seymour, is facing increasing criticism for his actions and calls to apologize. 

Lucas was captured on video Tuesday talking to a group of students from Burris Laboratory School in Muncie. The students, members of Students Demand Action, had traveled to the Statehouse for Advocacy Day, hosted by Moms Demand Action, for constituents to talk to lawmakers about their concerns over school shootings and taking action to curb gun violence. 

Play Video
Before their unexpected interaction with Rep. Jim Lucas, R-Seymour, the students from Burris High School met with Rep. Sue Errington, D-Muncie.

Video provided by Makynna Fivecoats.
While sharing his views that people should have guns to protect themselves, Lucas opened his suit jacket to reveal a handgun holstered to his hip. “I’m carrying right now,” he told the students.

Lucas defended his action, saying he was trying to teach the students that many citizens carry guns. However, students told TheStatehouseFile.com that they felt unsafe and threatened when Lucas revealed his weapon.  ....

Lucas faces backlash and calls to apologize after flashing gun at high schoolers

https://www.thestatehousefile.com/politics/lucas-faces-backlash-and-calls-to-apologize-after-flashing-gun-at-high-schoolers/article_1a62ea98-c0a4-11ee-b516-d37d08a1a600.html

.... “I fear for, and pity those that are being indoctrinated to fear that which is their best means of self defense,” Lucas wrote. “People are also being indoctrinated to depend on government for their ‘safety,’ even when shown that government has clearly ruled that government doesn’t have the duty to protect us.”

In claiming the government does not have a duty to protect the citizens, Lucas was referencing his interpretation of rulings from the U.S. Supreme Court. He told the students the same thing, that the high court has ruled police have no duty to protect people from harm. 

Play Video
This video captured by a student from Burris High School shows a portion of the group's Tuesday interaction with Rep. Jim Lucas, R-Seymour, from a different angle. 

Video provided by London Lanning.
When talking to the students, Lucas said people have to protect themselves. He pointed to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2005 ruling in Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales and claimed the court found police have no duty to protect people from harm. ....

It seems the Republican House attempt to impeach the DHS secretary has flopped.

Jim Jordan made a bizarre one-sentence addition/recommendation to the proposed border bill, making me wonder if something might happen there after all through Republican incompetence, infighting, and the need for some members to get a 'win.'

31 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I see zero indication of this in any news anywhere. 

31 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Jim Jordan made a bizarre one-sentence addition/recommendation to the proposed border bill, making me wonder if something might happen there after all through Republican incompetence, infighting, and the need for some members to get a 'win.'

Unless Mike Johnson says it comes to the floor it's not coming to the floor, so I don't see any reason for optimism. 

33 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Is this what you mean?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna136783

Jon Voight at least has some terrific films in his CV like Coming Home, Deliverance and Midnight Cowboy. And he fathered Angelina Jolie, also an accomplishment imo. But Ted Nugent? “Oh we don’t have Taylor Swift but we have Kid Fucking Rock”? That’s just beyond clueless and thoroughly hilarious! 

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

An attempt by Idaho Republicans to repeal the state’s Blaine Amendment—a move that would allow taxpayer money to flow to churches and faith-based ministries across the state—has thankfully been placed on hold.

But not before a Satanist told lawmakers how they planned to take advantage of the potential new law to create a pro-Satan school.

https://www.friendlyatheist.com/p/a-proposed-satanic-school-helped

That’s basically my reply when evangelicals knock on my door to convert me. But I say it in a super sunny smiley sweet way,

“oh thank you so much, it’s so sweet that you worry about my soul! But we’re all satanists here! Thanks heaps anyway, and have a great Sunday!”

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Unless Mike Johnson says it comes to the floor it's not coming to the floor, so I don't see any reason for optimism. 

Given the way these guys flip-flop, Mike Johnson pivoting is possible. There is also the 'moderate GOP House revolt' to take into account. 

I am wondering though...

Suppose Biden. via executive order, increased the fee employers pay for having undocumented workers on the payroll by a factor of ten. Or maybe by a factor of twenty? Most of those employers donate to Republican politicians. An executive order like that would be a direct hit to their campaign money, possibly forcing them to act.

(And yes, I know this is unlikely to happen, and if it did happen, Republicans would challenge it in court and likely win. But for the few weeks or months it was in effect...)

Edited by ThinkerX

14 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Given the way these guys flip-flop, Mike Johnson pivoting is possible. There is also the 'moderate GOP House revolt' to take into account. 

The moderate republicans don't have any real power to influence Johnson at all; they aren't a voting bloc and are as dependent on Trump as any Republican. The notion that they'll revolt is ridiculous too; what do you think they're going to do? They don't have the numbers even with Dems to force a floor vote, they aren't going to threaten to remove Johnson from the position because that makes all Republicans look incompetent, and Trump will absolutely fuck their shit up during primary season. 

14 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Suppose Biden. via executive order, increased the fee employers pay for having undocumented workers on the payroll by a factor of ten. Or maybe by a factor of twenty? Most of those employers donate to Republican politicians. An executive order like that would be a direct hit to their campaign money, possibly forcing them to act.

(And yes, I know this is unlikely to happen, and if it did happen, Republicans would challenge it in court and likely win. But for the few weeks or months it was in effect...)

It would be an immediate illegal order that would be given a stay (rightly so) within a day and do absolutely nothing.

In the 'stupidest timeline ever' news, polling and data are showing that the Republican random outrage against Taylor Swift may result in Biden winning:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4443400-trump-risks-backlash-as-maga-world-zeroes-in-on-taylor-swift/

And honestly if I have to be grateful to Swifties for saving the US from authoritarianism I'm willing to do that. It's better than sucking another dick. 

17 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Jon Voight at least has some terrific films in his CV like Coming Home, Deliverance and Midnight Cowboy. And he fathered Angelina Jolie, also an accomplishment imo. But Ted Nugent? “Oh we don’t have Taylor Swift but we have Kid Fucking Rock”? That’s just beyond clueless and thoroughly hilarious! 

Her mom was also a beauty. Jolie didn't get it from him. And she also hates him IIRC. 

The Kid Rock comparison is pretty fucking hilarious though. It's weird how these Christian conservatives gravitate to the dirtiest low end rock stars. At least the mom in Detroit Rock City burnt the KISS tickets.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

The Kid Rock comparison is pretty fucking hilarious though. It's weird how these Christian conservatives gravitate to the dirtiest low end rock stars. At least the mom in Detroit Rock City burnt the KISS tickets.  

I don't know the Vipers, but I know the Melvins.

(check best of internet for reference)

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Her mom was also a beauty. Jolie didn't get it from him. And she also hates him IIRC. 

Oh definitely! I didn’t mean it like that. Her mum was gorgeous, and they look very much alike; also, I think Angelina Jolie is much more than just gorgeous, so my ‘praise’ here was just that he played  some part in the result.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Kid Rock is the pits, and comparing him to Swift only makes the whole thing that much worse! Wankers.

We were speaking of this here not that long ago, iirc.

JANUARY 25, 2024
64,000 Pregnancies Caused by Rape Have Occurred in States with a Total Abortion Ban, New Study Estimates
Researchers calculated the number of pregnancies resulting from rape in states where abortion was banned throughout pregnancy after the Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/64-000-pregnancies-caused-by-rape-have-occurred-in-states-with-a-total-abortion-ban-new-study-estimates/#:~:text=The authors calculate that more,events are hard to measure.

By Josh Marshall
|February 2, 2024 12:09 p.m.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/59000

I can’t speak to the methodology. But a study just published in JAMA Internal Medicine calculated that from the time the Supreme Court handed down the Dobbs decision (calculated from July 1st, 2022) and the end of 2023 64,000 pregnancies occurred as a result of rape in the 14 states that immediately implemented near total bans on abortion.

Of those 64,000, 5,500 rape-caused pregnancies took place in states with at least nominal exceptions for rape. As we know, those exceptions can be more nominal than real. But if those are excluded the number comes down to just under 59,000.

These are statistical estimates. So there’s probably some room for quibbling at the margins for the exact numbers. But the scale of pregnancies as a result of rape occurring with no recourse to abortion without traveling to another state is staggering.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

In the 'stupidest timeline ever' news, polling and data are showing that the Republican random outrage against Taylor Swift may result in Biden winning:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4443400-trump-risks-backlash-as-maga-world-zeroes-in-on-taylor-swift/

And honestly if I have to be grateful to Swifties for saving the US from authoritarianism I'm willing to do that. It's better than sucking another dick. 

Andy Borowitz had a good comment: “Trump claims Taylor Swift was born in Kenya”.

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh definitely! I didn’t mean it like that. Her mum was gorgeous, and they look very much alike; also, I think Angelina Jolie is much more than just gorgeous, so my ‘praise’ here was just that he played  some part in the result.

He and Angelina have been estranged for some time. I think he was kind of a deadbeat dad. I don't know the history and I'm too lazy to check right now.