US Politics: Chaos Made to Border

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

He and Angelina have been estranged for some time. I think he was kind of a deadbeat dad. I don't know the history and I'm too lazy to check right now. 

I know, but it’s definitely another thing I like about her.

56 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don't know the Vipers, but I know the Melvins.

(check best of internet for reference)

Idk what this is so I'm so going to assume you're being disgusting. 

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh definitely! I didn’t mean it like that. Her mum was gorgeous, and they look very much alike; also, I think Angelina Jolie is much more than just gorgeous, so my ‘praise’ here was just that he played  some part in the result.

She was on the short list for hottest woman in the world for a few years. I don't really see any of Voight in her face though. 

Kid Rock is the pits, and comparing him to Swift only makes the whole thing that much worse! Wankers.

Kid Rock has like 3-4 popular songs. I'm no Swifty, but she can do that on a single album. I also have to imagine her tickets are at least 10 times more expensive than his were at his peak. There really aren't too many musical acts these days conservatives can lean on to generate star power. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

She was on the short list for hottest woman in the world for a few years. I don't really see any of Voight in her face though. 

I’m not sure who you mean, Jolie or her mum? Coz it could be either, both are/were very beautiful. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Rock has like 3-4 popular songs. I'm no Swifty, but she can do that on a single album. I also have to imagine her tickets are at least 10 times more expensive than his were at his peak. There really aren't too many musical acts these days conservatives can lean on to generate star power. 

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything by Swift? At least not knowingly. Always felt, perhaps erroneously, that her stuff is quite pop-ish? Not really my thing. But hey, given the deranged MMM (maga mega meltdown), I’ll even wear Swifty FTW t-shirt!

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything by Swift? At least not knowingly. Always felt, perhaps erroneously, that her stuff is quite pop-ish? Not really my thing. But hey, given the deranged MMM (maga mega meltdown), I’ll even wear Swifty FTW t-shirt!

For sure you have. Plus the satires of some of them. Look up “Shake it Off”,  “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together” (one of my favorites!), “Blank Space”, “Look What You Made me Do”, “All Too Well”, and her biggest hit ever, “AntiHero”.

The album Red was a huge best seller, and her crossover from country-ish to pop. And she wrote or co-wrote most of the songs. Max Martin was the producer and really worked well with her. I remember hearing an interview with him where he said they were in the studio when Swift walked in in an absolute fury and rage over a rumor she was going back to her previous boyfriend (Jake Gyllenhaal apparently), yelling “we are never ever getting back together again “. And Max Martin immediately said, that’s a song.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This.

I stopped listening to radio rock/pop at some point during the 2.000s. There's very few things that managed to find their way through that filter.

27 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m not sure who you mean, Jolie or her mum? Coz it could be either, both are/were very beautiful. 

Jolie, she was one of the biggest stars in the world for a few years, but yeah both were dimes. It's really nice to see how she used her stardom to do humanitarian ventures, outside of stealing JA's husband. :P

I didn't know @Fragile Bird was a Swifty, but she's right. You've heard some of her hits even if you've never gone out of your way to listen to them. 

Re Taylor Swift, I think you’re both right, I very likely will have heard some of her music playing somewhere… That’s why I said I hadn’t knowingly listened to any of it. 
I did see a video though, and was positively impressed. She was talking to either her manager or father or her father is her manager? There was one other bloke in the room iirc, and she was talking about the deranged alt right and how she didn’t want to stay quiet about it, and they were pleading w/ her not to say anything b/c of concerns about her personal safety. So yeah, maybe I won’t add her tunes to my playlists but I’ll defo wear that t-shirt! 

Edited by kissdbyfire

I absolutely love Taylor Swift for her encouraging people to register and vote...and for showing TDS is actually a thing but it's just the right that has Taylor Derangement Syndrome.

But I don't listen to her music, however, yes, I still can't help being exposed to it. I couldn't tell you any of her recent songs or if I've heard them...I don't think so, but I couldn't avoid Shake it Off when it was popular because it was EVERYWHERE. The other song I know of hers is You Belong To Me and that's only because back in the day College Humor did a really good parody video (You Became a Meme) and I wanted to compare it to the original.

I was also never a Green Day fan, the only song of theirs I've ever known being Time Of Your Life. But since New Year's I've had American Idiot on my playlist and I love that song!

i guess its funny to see how the horrible trolls of the republican party become crazy cuz of taylor swift...but is it a positive thing in the whole? she is a billionaire , she has an incredible amount of power to sway public opinion and maybe policy, she is a pop singer, but her influence in the real world is problematic (in my opinion). and she is not all good, for example, she is the number one pulliting celebrity.

Personally, I think those reports of amount of power celberity xyz wields is overblown.

Yeah she draws a large crowd, because she is a popular musician. Like I mentioned above, I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song (I could name a few more Greenday songs tho for @drawkcabi When I come around to it). If rock/pop stars had that much of an influence over politics conservatives wouldn't win as many elections globally as they do. Basically, anybody who truely believes her fans will vote Biden, because Swift told them to is probably mixing up cause and effect. Thse Swifties are by all accounts rather woke and they feel attracted to her music/persona. I don't think you'd see her draw the same crowd as Kid Rock (except for Ty, but that's a different story). The right is out of tune with the youth and Swift is sorta the avatar for those genz folks. Their bigger issue is, that their b-tech mussolini is a basket case

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Personally, I think those reports of amount of power celberity xyz wields is overblown.

Yeah she draws a large crowd, because she is a popular musician. Like I mentioned above, I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song (I could name a few more Greenday songs tho for @drawkcabi When I come around to it). If rock/pop stars had that much of an influence over politics conservatives wouldn't win as many elections globally as they do. Basically, anybody who truely believes her fans will vote Biden, because Swift told them to is probably mixing up cause and effect. Thse Swifties are by all accounts rather woke and they feel attracted to her music/persona. I don't think you'd see her draw the same crowd as Kid Rock (except for Ty, but that's a different story). The right is out of tune with the youth and Swift is sorta the avatar for those genz folks. Their bigger issue is, that their b-tech mussolini is a basket case

i think is more than that, its much more than just atracting a large crowd. and i dont really know how is it relevant that you personally dont know any of her songs, like you are clearly disconected. she alone is having an incredible impact in politics and in buisness just look at this https://www.marketwatch.com/story/taylor-swift-is-worth-331-million-and-counting-to-nfl-and-the-chiefs-05e4dbf9

i think you are severly underestimating her power, just her popularity alone, and again she is a billionaire too. you could also look at bono, he has had allot of influence to (negative in my opinion) policy in africa.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I agree with you for the most. But I also think Swift is an exception and there are metrics to prove it. She has so many fans, if only a small percentage do as she suggests it could be enough to effect an election.

Like when she asked her fans to register to vote on Voter Registration Day and vote.org had more thsn 35,000 register, a 23% jump compared to what the site registered the year before. 

Had he?

Bono's a cock with an inflated sense of his ego and importance. Alway's been, always will be. My favorite Bono story is from live aid, when Freddie Mercury pinned to a wall (like he was a chick in the disco to paraphrase Bono himself), and Freddie musing how most singers can't sing, but that they (him, Elton John, David Bowie and Rod Stewart) sorta liked him. And then buggering off laughingly, leaving a pretty dumbfounded and intimidated Bono behind.

Anyway, in the political sphere, Swift is pushing her audience to get registered to vote, not who to vote for. (at least that's the reporting I got from the news). That's actually empowering her audience and not controlling it. Will the majority be voting Democrats, yeah, probably. But again, that is entire on the GOP for not offering any good policies for her audience.

They don't want to change the policies on offer, thus they go after Swift. :dunno:

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Ok, I'll bite. Just opened a Swift Playlist.

It's ok, inoffensive pop. Nothing exceptional musically, stuff you can listen to while doing other stuff. Nothing wrong with that, that's perfectly fine. However I don't think it would've drawn me into attending a concert as teenager.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:08 PM, Zorral said:

In claiming the government does not have a duty to protect the citizens, Lucas was referencing his interpretation of rulings from the U.S. Supreme Court. He told the students the same thing, that the high court has ruled police have no duty to protect people from harm. 

Good then we can save ourselves billions and defund the duty-less bastards.