Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

Is there any legitimate reason to believe that ROP will improve?  Are there interviews from the showrunners or actors or producers that give any impression of such a desire for 'improvement'?

I expect it to be exactly as bad as it was in the first season.  The extreme levels of stupidity with the Galadriel/Sauron story and how they ended it, make it impossible to fix the character flaws the show introduced for her.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

The extreme levels of stupidity with the Galadriel/Sauron story and how they ended it

Yeah, gotta say this is what lost me with the first season.  The conclusion of that was just so stupid on so many different levels I'll have a hard time getting back into the show.  Otherwise, though, I thought the first season was fairly inoffensive.  Or at least the choices they made were understandable and/or defensible for a middling depiction with really awesome production values.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, gotta say this is what lost me with the first season.  The conclusion of that was just so stupid on so many different levels I'll have a hard time getting back into the show.  Otherwise, though, I thought the first season was fairly inoffensive.  Or at least the choices they made were understandable and/or defensible for a middling depiction with really awesome production values.

It was completely mediocre in everything but CGI, which is fine for an Amazon Prime show except that it cost a BILLION dollars and is Tolken.  That makes it a failure.  

I had a pretty hard time getting through most episodes in a single viewing, same for WOT, but I eventually got through it, and I expect I will also watch season 2. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I just didn't understand why a CW show suddenly had such high production values. 

For probably a decade now, on the days I'm teaching I wake up and turn on Charmed, which is always on TNT from 6-10 AM.  (It's less insipid than trying to watch Morning Joe or any other morning news show while getting ready.)  That's a very fair comparison in a number of ways.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:38 PM, hauberk said:

Do you expect her to have been naturally wise?  Isn’t wisdom something that comes with experience and, often times learning from mistakes?

Wrong,the Eldar are the wisest beings of Middle Earth, she doesn't need experience , she is older than the Sun and the Moon.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:48 PM, hauberk said:

B - I don’t think anyone here is using Chat GPT with possible exception of you. 

Chat Gpt probably can t understant some dialogues, especially Eru and the Valar dialogues that are written in archaic english

21 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Wrong,the Eldar are the wisest beings of Middle Earth, she doesn't need experience , she is older than the Sun and the Moon.

So you disagree with hauberk's statement that wisdom is gained through learning? Seriously?

Galadriel is older than the Sun and Moon, but how did she achieve her wisdom? hmm 

And First Age Galadriel really was a firebrand. Do you think that Galadriel would have passed the test of rejecting The One Ring?

23 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Chat Gpt probably can t understant some dialogues, especially Eru and the Valar dialogues that are written in archaic english

But it can understand wiki entries.

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

So were Fëanor and his sons.  Was their oath “wise”?  Were their actions in furtherance of that oath “wise”?

2 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

Once again revealing that, as little as the Rings of Power writers understand about Middle Earth, you know less. 

I enjoyed reading about Feanor and his sons, but he became jealous of his gems and he became mad when Morgoth killed his father and stole the Silmarils during the darkening of Valinor.

He was arrogant but the most powerful Elf, he was never described as wise, Galadriel is the daughter of Finarfin, the wisest of Finwe sons , she is described as the wisest being , she is the only person that warned Celebrimbor about the rings, then after more than six thousands of years it's obvious she became wise and knew things better than anyone else.

It's the description of the Elves in the Silmarillion that describe the Eldar as the wisest and fairest of all beings , then there are some differences among the groups of elves , Faenor unlike Galadriel , was not Indis descendant , she was a Vanyar, Feanor was half Noldor and half Teleri , but he was the most powerful one

Edited by KingAerys_II

19 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

I enjoyed reading about Feanor and his sons, but he became jealous of his gems and he became mad when Morgoth killed his father and stole the Silmarils during the darkening of Valinor.

He was arrogant but the most powerful Elf, he was never described as wise, Galadriel is the daughter of Finarfin, the wisest of Finwe sons , she is described as the wisest being , she is the only person that warned Celebrimbor about the rings, then after more than six thousands of years it's obvious she became wise and knew things better than anyone else.

It's the description of the Elves in the Silmarillion that describe the Eldar as the wisest and fairest of all beings , then there are some differences among the groups of elves , Faenor unlike Galadriel , was not Indis descendant , she was a Vanyar, Feanor was half Noldor and half Teleri , but he was the most powerful one

So… wisdom… varies based upon temperament, experience, and age.  Are you really of the opinion that Elves don’t change over time?

48 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

I've been trying to make sense of this sentence but I can't. Feanor is half Teleri? Where is that mentioned?  

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been trying to make sense of this sentence but I can't. Feanor is half Teleri? Where is that mentioned?  

I thought Fëanor’s mother Miriel was a Noldor… her father was some kind of uber-smith who regretted teaching Fëanor about metalsmithing because Fëanor used the skill to forge swords used in the Kinslaying.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

swords used in the Kinslaying.

The red swords , you forget to mention that he burned the fleet he gained after the kinslaying and left Fingolfin and Galadriel behind , he is a grey character 

Edited by KingAerys_II

40 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fëanor is a prick of the highest order.

Actually I like him, he is the proof that elves are able to do deeds that are not noble , the terrible oath that cursed his offspring, the first kinslaying , the burning of the fleet , the creation of the Silmarils.

His sons were not so bad, Maglor was extremely good , but the curse influenced them

Edited by KingAerys_II

22 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Actually I like him, he is the demonstration that elves are able to do deeds that are not noble , the terrible oath that cursed his offspring, the first kinslaying , the burning of the fleet , the creation of the Silmarils.

His sons were not so bad, Maglor was extremely good , but the curse influenced them

They were forced to take the oath?  They didn’t choose to murder other Elves?  

I stand by my statement… Fëanor… is a prick of the highest order.  His sons are a close second… they are all murderers.

3 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

The red swords , you forget to mention that he burned the fleet he gained after the kinslaying and left Fingolfin and Galadriel behind , he is a grey character 

He is a cautionary tale against fanaticism and a character who willingly engaged in genocide. It's worrying that you fail to miss those rather pronounced parts of his story and fail to understand he's a horrible, awful person.