Rings of Power 5: I Will Take the Thread to Reddit

HexMachina

Sigh. I thought we were talking about whether or not it was important for the Noldor to be in Middle-earth and how things might have been different if they weren't. What does Ungoliant have anything to with this? She basically fucked off into oblivion after her grand achievement. 

8 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

He put the elves in Middle-earth in the first place after all.

But the issue is the ones who went to Valinor and then came back to Middle-Earth in defiance of the Valar.

In thr end, the Noldor going back to ME was a suicide mission, and thr Vakar had to intervene anyway, fucking up Beleriand.

Feanor paid for tha Valar mistakes, they freed Melkor, he returned with Ungoliant and he destroyed the trees, the silmarils were the only objects that could restore the light .

Feanor created the Silmarils, Melkor destroyed the trees ,killed Feanor father, stole the Silmarils

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

But the issue is the ones who went to Valinor and then came back to Middle-Earth in defiance of the Valar.

In thr end, the Noldor going back to ME was a suicide mission, and thr Vakar had to intervene anyway, fucking up Beleriand.

The Noldorian effort ensured that Morgoth had to concentrate on Beleriand and that they were Men who were not under his dominion.

While I can understand that the Valar couldn't commit their forces against Morgoth without that resulting in catastrophic damage, they still could have helped in more covert ways, like they did later with the Istari. However outside of Ulmo and the occasional eagle rescue (where it isn't that Manwe was involved) they didn't. At the very least they could have refrained from drowning all those people Turgon send for help.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:09 AM, KingAerys_II said:

Feanor paid for tha Valar mistakes, they freed Melkor, he returned with Ungoliant and he destroyed the trees, the silmarils were the only objects that could restore the light .

Feanor created the Silmarils, Melkor destroyed the trees ,killed Feanor father, stole the Silmarils

Fëanor paid for his own mistakes, arrogance, and jealousy.  Fëanor was the best and worst of Elvenkind. 

Rewatching RoP. One criticism not made is that while Galadriel is going out her way to avenge Finrod, he’s waslking about Valinor with their dad, who *was* wise enough to give Middle-Earth a miss

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

On 2/27/2024 at 9:06 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fëanor paid for his own mistakes, arrogance, and jealousy.  Fëanor was the best and worst of Elvenkind. 

The Silmarillion has great influence on fantasy literature, GRRM took some things from Tolkien world : Ungoliant , the spider is similar to the Great Other, a deity that embodies the concept of Void; Anglechiel is a sword forged using a meteor just like Dawn , the ancestral sword of House Dayne, Anglechiel is the sword Turin is going to use against Morgoth in the final battle , the concept of kinslaying , the burning of the the fleet by Feanor is something relatable to Nymeria story when she escaped to Westeros, that's why I consider Feanor to be the most important character in fantasy literature.
GRRM is the best american fantasy writer hands down ,  he wrote Elden Ring lore, that's wonderful stuff, he gave the Aegon Conquest material to a great author , instead we have a poor fanfic about the rings of power and the fall of Numenor

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

The Silmarillion has great influence on fantasy literature, GRRM took some things from Tolkien world : Ungoliant , the spider is similar to the Great Other, a deity that embodies the concept of Void; Anglechiel is a sword forged using a meteor just like Dawn , the ancestral sword of House Dayne, Anglechiel is the sword Turin is going to use against Morgoth in the final battle , the concept of kinslaying , the burning of the the fleet by Feanor is something relatable to Nymeria story when she escaped to Westeros, that's why I consider Feanor to be the most important character in fantasy literature.
GRRM is the best american fantasy writer hands down ,  he wrote Elden Ring lore, that's wonderful stuff, he gave the Aegon Conquest material to a great author , instead we have a poor fanfic about the rings of power and the fall of Numenor

Eh????

We know next to nothing about the Great Other, and I’ve seen no similarities to Ungoliant.

Swords forged from meteorites are ten-a-penny in fantasy. It’s more likely Dawn was inspired by Thorn, from Memory Thorn Sorrow which Martin says inspired ASoI&F.

Kinslaying is also a common trope.

And the burning of the fleet (Tolkein and Martin) is possibky drawn from Cortez burning his fleet upon arriving on the shores of America.

58 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Kinslayer refers to parricide in Ancient Greece , it's a different concept 

If you’re going to nitpick, the kinslaying in Tolkein’s work barely qualifies. It basically refers to elf killing elf (Alqualonde, Doriath, and Sirion).

Under that criteria, bwsically every killing in ASoI&F is ‘kinslaying’.

The closest, from memory, we get to propery kinslaying in ASoI&F (apart from Tyrion) is The Atark/Karstark execution, and how many generations separate them?

In ASoI&F a much bigger deal is made of violating guest right.