The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

34 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did the UK have police stations thick on the ground or something, that so many are getting closed? Are the public complaining?

If it’s an emergency, people will phone 999. Otherwose, the trend is to phone thr non-emergency no (101) or send an email.

That’s the justification anyway, though stations were being visited by the public less. A lot of the stations were old and falling apart/leaking etc. 

It’s not just thr cost of keeping and running the station; if it’s open it needs to be staffed by at least a non-cop staff member. If it holds prisoners then it needs cops and turnkeys, food facilities etc. so it’s cheaper to keep custodies in larger offices. 

There’s more likely to be an outcry in rural areas, where a shift change means the cops could be ina different town/village

53 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

There’s more likely to be an outcry in rural areas, where a shift change means the cops could be ina different town/village

Or the other end of a county. I have no idea how rural police function. 

Tbf in London there used to be far far too many stations. They've very much over corrected now though. 

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Or the other end of a county. I have no idea how rural police function. 

Tbf in London there used to be far far too many stations. They've very much over corrected now though. 

I assume per the documentaries Hot Fuzz and Untitled Goose Game there is an ample amount of dealing with underage drinking, waterfowl on the loose and well-meaning parent groups enforcing the morals of the countryside

My daughters are in NYC right now [their Mom has a course or cert of some kind, so took everybody]  and sending lots of very cool pictures. Kinda jelly, ngl.

Edited by JGP

Ye, me too. Llyra [my 16 yo] leaves to Belize for two weeks the day she gets back too, and boy, is her sister super kind of not ok with that lol

2 minutes ago, JGP said:

Ye, me too. Llyra [my 16 yo] leaves to Belize for two weeks the day she gets back too, and boy, is her sister super kind of not ok with that lol

O ya, I bet!  

Yesterday I was wished good luck for my high school final exam by an unknown student while I was camping outside the exam room for my monitoring duty.

I... I really never get to look my age, can I? :frown5:

6 hours ago, Toth said:

Yesterday I was wished good luck for my high school final exam by an unknown student while I was camping outside the exam room for my monitoring duty.

I... I really never get to look my age, can I? :frown5:

You are aware that 99,9% of people would kill to hear that kind of comment, right? :P

Think of it this way, in 20 years time when your friends are grey and wrinkled they’ll all be jealous of you! 

So, I have a question… 

When you’re setting the timer on your device for, say, 20 minutes, and the rollie thingy stops at 18 or 21, do you adjust to 20 or leave it? I always leave it but my husband tells me that’s very, very wrong. In fact, it freaks him out a bit and he keeps trying to fix it. :dunno:

* I will correct it only if I’m setting the timer for pasta b/c no one deserves soggy non- al dente pasta! 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

So, I have a question… 

When you’re setting the timer on your device for, say, 20 minutes, and the rollie thingy stops at 18 or 21, do you adjust to 20 or leave it? I always leave it but my husband tells me that’s very, very wrong. In fact, it freaks him out a bit and he keeps trying to fix it. :dunno:

* I will correct it only if I’m setting the timer for pasta b/c no one deserves soggy non- al dente pasta! 

When it comes to sleep alarms, anything other than a multiple of 5 makes you a fucking weirdo. 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

You are aware that 99,9% of people would kill to hear that kind of comment, right? :P

Think of it this way, in 20 years time when your friends are grey and wrinkled they’ll all be jealous of you! 

Yeah. I got ID’d in a pub when I was 38. I was taken aback but pretty pleased.

Of course, that was a year before my daughter was born, and age has been catching up with me since then

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Maybe, but up until then, I find it rather a hindrance. When you get asked for ID when buying a lighter, because you need to be 14 to buy one, I think it's obvious that there is something wrong with the shape of my face. That happened two years ago.

On top of that, just now I needed an ID photo for my personal file at work and rummaged through my old ID photos. I genuinely had trouble telling apart 10 years old photos from ones I had made a year ago...

9 minutes ago, Toth said:

Maybe, but up until then, I find it rather a hindrance. When you get asked for ID when buying a lighter, because you need to be 14 to buy one, I think it's obvious that there is something wrong with the shape of my face. That happened two years ago.

On top of that, just now I needed an ID photo for my personal file at work and rummaged through my old ID photos. I genuinely had trouble telling apart 10 years old photos from ones I had made a year ago...

Well, try and have fun with it. When someone say you look too young or something, tell them you made a pact with the devil, or just say, “I know but you should see the portrait I have my attic”. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

When it comes to sleep alarms, anything other than a multiple of 5 makes you a fucking weirdo. 

when it comes to sleep alarms I always set it at 1 minute over, because those 60 seconds are going to make me feel sooooo much more refreshed...

5 hours ago, Toth said:

Could you maybe grow a beard?  That always makes people look older.