The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

My step-father returned home from being in the hospital for around two weeks if my math is right. He looks terrible. Home hospice is almost always the end. At least he seems happy to be here. We had an uncomfortable conversation about the stuff he thought I might want and what/how I should get things to my step-brother. These have not been fun times. 

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, try and have fun with it. When someone say you look too young or something, tell them you made a pact with the devil, or just say, “I know but you should see the portrait I have my attic”. 

Mmh. I've made the experience that trying to be cheeky about it always backfires with the other one never understanding what I try to get across. Granted, sometimes when someone asks for my age in visible astonishment, I have started to sometimes reply: "Old."

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Could you maybe grow a beard?  That always makes people look older.

Can't. I unfortunately don't have the genes for that. The most I can do is a mustache. Which I currently have... and contemplating to get rid of specifically to supplement my new attempt at acting more confidently. I'm musing that the also affects my confidence because it feels like something I actually don't like and only wear for that goal of looking older. Without it, I would look even younger, but I wouldn't have a reminder of my insecurity anymore. Does that make sense?

11 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

My step-father returned home from being in the hospital for around two weeks if my math is right. He looks terrible. Home hospice is almost always the end. At least he seems happy to be here. We had an uncomfortable conversation about the stuff he thought I might want and what/how I should get things to my step-brother. These have not been fun times. 

Not fun but really important, and something you’ll regret in the future as a needless bit of stupidity or even cruelty if you don’t do it. This comes under the category of being the better person. Be generous, it’s in you.

On 4/12/2024 at 1:07 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Where else does a person mention OJ Simpson died? 

Rest in hell.

I mean, the false accusation thread was the clear and obvious choice. I am not saying that thread felt like it fit like a glove, but it was almost too good to be true.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not fun but really important, and something you’ll regret in the future as a needless bit of stupidity or even cruelty if you don’t do it. This comes under the category of being the better person. Be generous, it’s in you.

Honestly I'm just happy we got him to eat. He had a slider and some fries from White Castle and later I got him to eat some of the steak I made. It's not like a diet matters anymore. He can eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner for all I care. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Honestly I'm just happy we got him to eat. He had a slider and some fries from White Castle and later I got him to eat some of the steak I made. It's not like a diet matters anymore. He can eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner for all I care. 

My mam still tells my 95 year old nana off, for putting too much salt on stuff. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My mam still tells my 95 year old nana off, for putting too much salt on stuff. 

My Nanna used to hoard salt packets when she was hospitalised. The matron eventually told the catering staff not to give her any so they stopped and she still managed to hoard them. When she was no longer able to get out of bed alone she told me the truth - she'd shuffled out of bed one night when they were short staffed and taken a handful from the staff kitchen then hidden them in her toiletries bag.

I love her and miss her so much when I remember these kinds of thing 

Since we're sharing stories like these above... my husband's nan was hospitalised at 103 after a fall in the bathroom but she didn't want to stay in the hospital. After much moaning and whinging from her, everyone left and went home. And much later my MiL wakes up with a phone call from the police. Her mum had managed to get out of bed and call the police, and she told them that both her and her daughter were being held against their will at different locations and can you please come get me?". The police got her name and my MiL's and called her to ask wtaf was going on, "do you know where your mother is?, etc. 

She passed away 2 years later, still living alone and enjoying her coffee w/ brandy every morning together with her beloved Daily Mail (hey, no one is perfect), her g&ts in the evenings and all the rest. 

11 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean, the false accusation thread was the clear and obvious choice. I am not saying that thread felt like it fit like a glove, but it was almost too good to be true.

In this deeply polarized world, I do find it interesting that in the thousands of articles and posts on OJS's death, I've seen not one batting for team OJ. Not one suggestion that he was innocent, or had a nice side or anything at all. Not that I'm suggesting he had a nice side, but in a post-fact universe, you'd think someone would offer a case.

I worked in the same courthouse, the Criminal Courts building, in downtown Los Angeles during the State of California vs. Orenthal James Simpson trial was taking place.  I followed it as closely as anyone could without being directly involved. 

OJ Simpson WAS a nice guy, generous, funny, kind to kids, charming, etc. - - - as long as you weren't his wife.  I suppose there are folks who still feel the State didn't prove its case against him, certainly the jury felt that way.  But I feel there were extenuating circumstances that led to him being pronounced not guilty.  He had the best legal defense money could buy, so that played a huge role.   His celebrity also played a HUGE role.  

Judge Lance Ito was obviously star-struck too and pretty much let the defense walk all over the prosecutors.  Also, allowing cameras in the courtroom necessarily led to everyone playing to them.  I could write a book about it, but all the books have already been written and we certainly don't need more.  It was a long time ago.  May Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman rest in peace.   

17 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I worked in the same courthouse, the Criminal Courts building, in downtown Los Angeles during the State of California vs. Orenthal James Simpson trial was taking place.  I followed it as closely as anyone could without being directly involved. 

OJ Simpson WAS a nice guy, generous, funny, kind to kids, charming, etc. - - - as long as you weren't his wife.  I suppose there are folks who still feel the State didn't prove its case against him, certainly the jury felt that way.  But I feel there were extenuating circumstances that led to him being pronounced not guilty.  He had the best legal defense money could buy, so that played a huge role.   His celebrity also played a HUGE role.  

Judge Lance Ito was obviously star-struck too and pretty much let the defense walk all over the prosecutors.  Also, allowing cameras in the courtroom necessarily led to everyone playing to them.  I could write a book about it, but all the books have already been written and we certainly don't need more.  It was a long time ago.  May Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman rest in peace.   

In fairness to the jury, when the leaddetective’s response to ‘did you plant evjdence?’ Is basically ‘no comment’, that would make me acquit on the basis of reasonable doubt

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

On 4/13/2024 at 3:55 PM, Toth said:

Yesterday I was wished good luck for my high school final exam by an unknown student while I was camping outside the exam room for my monitoring duty.

I... I really never get to look my age, can I? :frown5:

When I started working at a high school, one of my new coworkers (who didn't yet know me) tried to send me to change my shoes (as the students are obliged to do). We should be flattered! :D

In other news, the boyfriendperson and I are moving in together! We just signed the rent contract today. :commie:I am very excited about it.

@Derfel Cadarn  I don't believe I've been unfair to the jury.  Mark Fuhrman's being a bad cop weighed heavily with them, I'm sure.  

But Fuhrman being a bad cop and Simpson being guilty are not mutually exclusive.  The overwhelming weight of all the other evidence was pretty damning.  

The jury still did a bad job. The physical evidence was as conclusive as you could hope for without catching OJ on camera and/or he admitting to it. His blood was at the scene. He was a known abuser who was very jealous about the people his ex was sleeping with. I could list a number of other things, but you already know the details. OJ didn't get off because of Fuhrman, he did so because multiple people on the jury were never going to convicted him and they were able to wait out the others because they all wanted to go home. This is exactly why the system needs to move quickly. There's no reason that trial should have lasted nearly a year. 

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

@Derfel Cadarn  I don't believe I've been unfair to the jury.  Mark Fuhrman's being a bad cop weighed heavily with them, I'm sure.  

But Fuhrman being a bad cop and Simpson being guilty are not mutually exclusive.  The overwhelming weight of all the other evidence was pretty damning.  

Just out of curiosity, did the victims families ever collect on the full civil case fines OJ incurred?

At that time I half remembered there was a lot of controversy over OJ pleading broke from attorney fees and lost endorsements.

Kind of wondering whether the Goldman and Brown families are still entitled to any of OJ's estate?

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Just out of curiosity, did the victims families ever collect on the full civil case fines OJ incurred?

At that time I half remembered there was a lot of controversy over OJ pleading broke from attorney fees and lost endorsements.

Kind of wondering whether the Goldman and Brown families are still entitled to any of OJ's estate?

Nope, I don't think they got anything after he was forced to sell some things. The lawyer overseeing his estate is quoted saying he'll do what he can to make sure the Goldmans get nothing. Maybe they will in the end, but who knows.

‘The Goldmans get zero, nothing’: OJ Simpson’s estate to fight payout to victims’ families | OJ Simpson | The Guardian

Personally if I was a family member of either the Browns or Goldmans I'd make sure I got all his golf clubs. The fucker was playing on high end courses after he lost both the civil trial and criminal one in NV so he clearly wasn't broke. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Personally if I was a family member of either the Browns or Goldmans I'd make sure I got all his golf clubs. The fucker was playing on high end courses after he lost both the civil trial and criminal one in NV so he clearly wasn't broke. 

Well, Brown's kids will get paid off. It's really the Goldmans that will have to fight to get something from his estate. While not broke, I dunno how much money is left there. His legal bills and the medical bills had to be paid.