US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

Just now, Larry of the Lawn said:

You would bully people into lending their electoral support to a genocide?

In the US your options are disappointing or awful. If you don't help disappointing and awful wins out, you don't get to claim a moral victory. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Yes I am going to bully them, because not picking a side when you only have two choices doesn't absolve you of the bad shit either, and many times you end up contributing to the worse side. There's no honor in that. Be a fucking adult. Voting is strategic and you have to often vote for people you despise. 

Yet you proudly declared you, by your own bootstraps, share nothing of the character of your progenitor -- so how can  you believe bullying is OK?

53 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yet you proudly declared you, by your own bootstraps, share nothing of the character of your progenitor -- so how can  you believe bullying is OK?

Not sure how this connects. 

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/26/israeli-embassy-airman-fire-death-gaza/

Again, this sounds like a man who cares about justice, who empathic, a decent t fellow who refuses to turn to committing deliberate cruelty on others for no decent reason,

Earlier, he had emailed a number of reporters as well as left-wing and anarchist news websites

That's a major red flag. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If he wasn’t attempting to change people’s opinion about Israel’s war in Gaza… what was the point of his suicide?

To make people feel more urgency to act.

2 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

@Kyoshi

i think I appreciate this response even more because you're not just repeating empty platitudes without explaining (like how people just speak louder and expect you to understand even though they don't explain anything).

Scot and Tywin,

Let me put it this way: imagine I'm stranded on an island with two other people. The two others both want to be in charge of the food and water, but we hold a vote and Guy #1 wins. We have, let's say, watermelon, orange melon and papaya as our options. If I eat orange melon, it will kill me; if I eat watermelon, I'll get a severe allergic reaction, but I won't die; so the only thing I can eat is the papaya. However, the food guy doesn't want to give me the papaya because he's struck a deal with some melon farmers on the neighbouring island. When I tell him I can't eat melon, he keeps insisting, "but the watermelon won't kill you bro, just eat that." And I'm like, "the allergic reaction is pretty bad bro. Just give me the papaya. I'm pretty hungry." And the food guy is like, "no. And don't even think about rebelling. Remember, the other guys wants to give you the orange melon, which will definitely kill you on the spot ..." ... and we go on like this.

That's how "vote blue" sounds right now. No democracy should hold people hostage like this. You can't keep threatening people with a worse fate, and when you get elected, you do the same nonsense as the other guys. Over 400k people marched in DC on (13?) January, hundreds of thousands of people have been marching, but Biden doesn't care. He's not listening. He's listening only to the lobby groups, AIPAC chief among them. That means two very worrying things: once these people are elected, constituents don't matter anymore. Secondly, your democracy has been hijacked by lobby groups. Since the lobby groups' voices matter more, why should people continue to vote for Biden? It has become too clear that his zionist project matters more to him. If you actually listened to any of the people threatening to abstain or vote for independents, you would know that. There's a line they simply won't cross, this is that line. The genocide is a part of it, but more than that, people are waking up to the apartheid, the propaganda, all of which, it turns out, they have been funding with their taxes, regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican sits in the WH.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/26/israeli-embassy-airman-fire-death-gaza/

Again, this sounds like a man who cares about justice, who empathic, a decent t fellow who refuses to turn to committing deliberate cruelty on others for no decent reason,

I’d appreciate it if you posted things people could read, instead of a paywall.

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The whole “we get everything we want or fuck you let Trump win” thing is incredibly bizarre to me.

:shocked:

Good thing that that characterization is a straw man at best.  It's pretty clear you are not even attempting to understand the point of view you're arguing against.  

26 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The whole “we get everything we want or fuck you let Trump win” thing is incredibly bizarre to me.

:shocked:

Maybe you can understand it a different way, Scot. Let me try.

A person has watched as literally dozens of their family members, relatives and people they know have been killed. They've watched the world unite against that group of people save for a few specific countries - and they happen to be living in one of those specific countries. They have the choice to vote for the person who has for their entire political career supported the policies that is leading to their families' deaths, or they can vote for someone who will do basically the same thing, or they can choose not to support either person.

Could you live with the decision to vote for someone who aided in the death of your family? 

Could you at least understand someone for whom that is not an acceptable choice? 

17 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

i think I appreciate this response even more because you're not just repeating empty platitudes without explaining (like how people just speak louder and expect you to understand even though they don't explain anything).

Scot and Tywin,

Let me put it this way: imagine I'm stranded on an island with two other people. The two others both want to be in charge of the food and water, but we hold a vote and Guy #1 wins. We have, let's say, watermelon, orange melon and papaya as our options. If I eat orange melon, it will kill me; if I eat watermelon, I'll get a severe allergic reaction, but I won't die; so the only thing I can eat is the papaya. However, the food guy doesn't want to give me the papaya because he's struck a deal with some melon farmers on the neighbouring island. When I tell him I can't eat melon, he keeps insisting, "but the watermelon won't kill you bro, just eat that." And I'm like, "the allergic reaction is pretty bad bro. Just give me the papaya. I'm pretty hungry." And the food guy is like, "no. And don't even think about rebelling. Remember, the other guys wants to give you the orange melon, which will definitely kill you on the spot ..." ... and we go on like this.

That's how "vote blue" sounds right now. No democracy should hold people hostage like this. You can't keep threatening people with a worse fate, and when you get elected, you do the same nonsense as the other guys. Over 400k people marched in DC on (13?) January, hundreds of thousands of people have been marching, but Biden doesn't care. He's not listening. He's listening only to the lobby groups, AIPAC chief among them. That means two very worrying things: once these people are elected, constituents don't matter anymore. Secondly, your democracy has been hijacked by lobby groups. Since the lobby groups' voices matter more, why should people continue to vote for Biden? It has become too clear that his zionist project matters more to him. If you actually listened to any of the people threatening to abstain or vote for independents, you would know that. There's a line they simply won't cross, this is that line. The genocide is a part of it, but more than that, people are waking up to the apartheid, the propaganda, all of which, it turns out, they have been funding with their taxes, regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican sits in the WH.

The American electoral system is broken.  It has been broken for quite some time.  That said if you allow the election of the party that will end all elections… you will never have an opportunity to fix it… therefore allowing Trump to win is a horrible horrible option.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Maybe you can understand it a different way, Scot. Let me try.

A person has watched as literally dozens of their family members, relatives and people they know have been killed. They've watched the world unite against that group of people save for a few specific countries - and they happen to be living in one of those specific countries. They have the choice to vote for the person who has for their entire political career supported the policies that is leading to their families' deaths, or they can vote for someone who will do basically the same thing, or they can choose not to support either person.

Could you live with the decision to vote for someone who aided in the death of your family? 

Could you at least understand someone for whom that is not an acceptable choice? 

Many people here told me in 2016 that my vote for the Libertatian candidate was a vote for Trump.  What has changed?  And I can see your point… and still think it is terrible choice.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Many people here told me in 2016 that my vote for the libertarian candidate was a vote for Trump.  What has changed?  And I can see your point… and still think it is wrong.

Because the most hated ethnic group of the planet is on one side and Russia and its allies are using all their online manipulation powers to get Trump elected again.

Otherwisw it would be a regional conflict of little interest.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand