Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

Bayern getting knocked out would be funny but unfortunately I think there’s a very limited number of teams in the Champions League this year who could conceivably stop City winning it. Bayern if they pull themselves together and get a bit lucky might, I can’t see Lazio providing much of a challenge.

Posted (edited)

Well, Bayern got its act together against Lazio*. Like I said after the first leg, nothing was really broken beyond repair there.

As for who could conceivevably knock City out. I think Real is the most likely candidate for that. Maybe Arsenal on a good night. Bayern are too pre-occupied with themself this year.

*And this remains one of the most disgusting clubs with one of the ugliest fan scenes in Europe. Take your fascists songs Duce chants and bugger off home you bunch of biggots.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

10 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, Bayern got its act together against Lazio*. Like I said after the first leg, nothing was really broken beyond repair there.

As for who could conceivevably knock City out. I think Real is the most likely candidate for that. Maybe Arsenal on a good night. Bayern are too pre-occupied with themself this year.

I think Arsenal could do it in the final, probably not likely over 2 legs, Real or Man City, that's not a fun decision. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

two legs is not a lot.

If Arsenal hit a brilliant night in one of the legs and City hit an off night with Arsenal stuffing them, that'd be that. Admittedly not the most likely scenario, but also not totally inconceivable.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think Arsenal could do it in the final, probably not likely over 2 legs, Real or Man City, that's not a fun decision. 

I fancy us against anyone over two legs. I am not scared of anyone now.

Edited by Spockydog

City are really not unstoppable at all. They really struggle to keep clean sheets at the moment and their midfield is far from clicking.

United put in a proper low block performance and City were attacking them all day, but it wasn’t quite clicking and there have been quite a few times I’ve watched them this season where something just isnt there and it seems much harder work than it used to be. 

Possibly it’s all going to shift into gear soon as Haaland and KDB become fully fit, but then again they sold a couple of their better players and there feels like a gap. 

I think they are definitely beatable.

Arsenal are playing way better than City right now, it's not even close. Whether they can maintain it through till May is obviously still in question but if they meet and are in anything like similar form to now Arsenal would be favourites all day.

I think the biggest question mark around Arsenal is whether they can hold their nerve in a nail-biting title race. City have proven repeatedly that they can. Arsenal as a defensive unit (not just the backline but their entire team) has been immense this season though and that could be the difference maker this time.

They lost to Porto, humping premier league teams is not the same as RM or Man City in Europe.  Its not like they have a great history in Europe, or the Emirates is a fortress like Anfield on big European nights. 

Historically they have been really really poor in Europe.  They also have a pretty young team with no experience of going deep in the CL. 

I don't know what we'll do in CL or what we'll do in the PL. What I do know is that watching Arsenal in 2024 is the most fun I've had watching football... maybe ever. We are suffocating. We are prolific. It's fun. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. Feels like we're building something special even if we're not there yet.

22 minutes ago, Mexal said:

. Feels like we're building something special even if we're not there yet.

Klopp and Pep aren't going to be around forever. Chelsea are a shambles, we cant spend our money and spurs are spurs. You look set, unless he decides Man Utd is a better option lol. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I’m not sure about this team Klopp’s putting out. Feels like we could definitely have gone with the under 16s for this game, saved the senior players for City and then backed ourselves to win it at Anfield.

Well, Konate played so you could rest van Dijk. At least that was the plan.

Klopp is using his subs, so it's not like your starting XI will play 120 mins today before the City game. I am sorta surprised he hasn't pulled Endo yet. Him you really do not want injured before the City game.

This has been a pretty ropey performance by Liverpool despite the score, play like this against City and we’ll get battered. On the plus side at least the score line means the tie’s effectively over.

That defeat’s a real blow for Brighton. It’s really felt like doing well in Europe was the focus for this season for them.

Edited by ljkeane

Don't moan about the Europa League. Klopp had the option of playing a reserve team if he chose to but his line-up clearly suggests that he's taking the competition seriously. The EL is the only trophy that Klopp has failed to win at Liverpool after all (losing the final to Sevilla in his first season).

• Ran locked this topic