Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

Disappointing performance from the USA men today against Jamaica.

At least, Haji Wright had another big game.  First, he scored the game winner for Coventry against Wolves.  Today, he scored both of USA's aet goals.

Schuster confirmed to take over at Freiburg at the end of the season. Like I said, he has been working as a developmental (or sorta go-between coach) at the club rotating between senior and junior squads. Pro License since Februrary, obviously first senior appointment. The now 37 y.o. will (hopefully) not be the youngest coach in the Bundesliga next year... (not, I am not gonna jinx it).

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Disappointing performance from the USA men today against Jamaica.

At least, Haji Wright had another big game.  First, he scored the game winner for Coventry against Wolves.  Today, he scored both of USA's aet goals.

Can't wait for Fight Fest 2024 on Sunday. Will Dest be playing? :P

Edited by Corvinus85

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Germany moving to a Nike kit is so so wrong. Its been Adidas for my whole life and 23 years before. 

If they really wanted to break up with Adidas they should have gone all the way and switched to Puma.

Caught a bit of England Brazil last night. Really brought home the massive gap between how good the players up front are compared to the backline. 

Bellingham and Foden are fantastic players, Kane and Saka weren’t even playing… but holy shit did Maguire look out of place in that system. Southgate pressed high and Maguire was hugely exposed. 

England being bigged up as favourites for the Euros but we have no chance if we still have Maguire, and worse, Dunk as his understudy.

Thats not to say that England were great going forward either, but the skill level is at least there. 

Edited by Heartofice

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Caught a bit of England Brazil last night. Really brought home the massive gap between how good the players up front are compared to the backline. 

I watched it, which was a terrible decision. I got suckered in by it being England Brazil but you never watch international friendlies.

Anyway, England were fucking terrible in attack, they really created absolutely no chances of note. I think that’s a more worrying issue than the defence, if you’ve got that much talent and are still mind numbingly boring going forward that’s a bit of a damning indictment I’d say.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has anyone else seen this horseshit? I'm totally on the 'all religion is fucking stupid' side of things, but this is disgusting

https://time.com/6959545/france-football-federation-ramadan-fasting-rules-muslims-soccer/

To be honest, I don't think FFF is that out of order. Not eating and not drinking anything for majority of the day is bound to make a dent in the intensity of training and playing. If a player is not able to give 100% at every training session and especially during the game, then he should inform his coach and national federation that he will have to skip this match or two. It's international friendlies, so pretty much nothing is on the line if a few players are missing.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

To be honest, I don't think FFF is that out of order. Not eating and not drinking anything for majority of the day is bound to make a dent in the intensity of training and playing. If a player is not able to give 100% at every training session and especially during the game, then he should inform his coach and national federation that he will have to skip this match or two. It's international friendlies, so pretty much nothing is on the line if a few players are missing.

Fasting during Ramadan just means they can't eat when the sun is in the sky. They're not exactly starving themselves. 

Edited by Spockydog

Thousands of athletes round the world compete just fine during Ramadan, including many many footballers playing for their club sides. As far as I can tell it requires a little bit of extra work with their diet and preparation for them to be at their best, but it doesn't seem to be of concern to most of their club sides. 

The French national teams at various levels have had a fairly large number of Muslim players over the years. It's never been an issue for the FFF before that required banning Muslim players from fasting during Ramadan until now. Reading that article linked above makes the "why now" pretty clear though - seems that the FFF has been taking more and more anti-Muslim stances.

• Ran locked this topic