US politics - Yes country for old men

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Relative of Roose or John?

I didn't think that deeply about it until now. I'd say it was definitely John at first - the quivering bespeckled, apoplectic, 'stache. Now I'm not so sure. Jace contains multitudes.

Edited by Week

2 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

now thats an american! damn you guys and gals are brave people of action! who cares about long term, it has worked so well for you, maybe not so well for us people outside of the usa, but who fucking cares! drone that bitch away i say! weare the kids skulls  as necklases and  use them as ashtrays, fucking savages deserve it.

The haunting inevitability of it, eh? 

12 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

I'm in the now, and now calls for action to prevent this occurrence.

"Something must be done. This is something. Therefore we must do this."

I genuinely don't know if you're just doing a bit, but gung ho American defaulting to "let's solve this problem with lots of bombs" is a little on the nose, no?

35 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I genuinely don't know if you're just doing a bit, but gung ho American defaulting to "let's solve this problem with lots of bombs" is a little on the nose, no?

Yah, it's always worked so successfully in the past, particularly in that napalm war from which retreating, throwing up up our hands and throwing trillions of military materiel, earthmoving equipment, other heavy machinery, plus whatever expensive else into the sea, while helicopters out the feckless jerkwaddies on whose behalf supposedly we were murdering peasants and kids from the air.

By all means let us repeat this for umpteenth time!

Edited by Zorral

13 hours ago, Liffguard said:

A bit of a bit, admittedly. But nothing I've said is untrue. The situation needs solving, we have the means. I don't like funding our adversaries in hopes that they choose to play nice.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yah, it's always worked so successfully in the past, particularly in that napalm war from which retreating, throwing up up our hands and throwing trillions of military materiel, earthmoving equipment, other heavy machinery, plus whatever expensive else into the sea, while helicopters out the feckless jerkwaddies on whose behalf supposedly we were murdering peasants and kids from the air.

By all means let us repeat this for umpteenth time!

Different time. Now war really can be waged from the air. No more nation building debacles, no more anti-terrorist missions. Capacity Capping, that's the operational order of the future.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

A bit of a bit, admittedly. But nothing I've said is untrue. The situation needs solving, we have the means. I don't like funding our adversaries in hopes that they choose to play nice.

Different time. Now war really can be waged from the air. No more nation building debacles, no more anti-terrorist missions. Capacity Capping, that's the operational order of the future.

What is an adversary when it can change every 4 years?

On 3/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, Jace, Extat said:

The idea that a state has a right to get the bomb is one that I have to combat. No, no, no.

Definitely not saying that, just making a point.

21 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Well, I really do hope this is a bit, because otherwise it's shockingly naive to think war with Iran could only be "waged from the air" without inevitable nuclear holocaust.

49 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In better news. We didn't lose Fani. Just a lot of lost time gone down the drain (annoyingly).

As Andrew Weissmann pointed out, it'd probably be prudent for her to recuse herself and appoint a deputy to oversee the prosecution.  If only for the fact the judge clearly despises her.

538 wrote an article today about how polls in this stage didnt correlate all that well with general election results, but if was mostly unconvincing (not sure historical data from the 70s has much relevance in this cycle - we need in-cycle explanations). Still, the point they made about the Biden campaign publicly dissing polls was a good one, there is still time to turn this around as long as the problem is recognized. I hope the internal discussions are different.

One thing that is concerning is two cycles now where Trump numbers were underestimated. Is that being overcorrected for this cycle? Hard to say, but the average of polls can still be biased because of some hidden variable. Or it could be the underestimation is true this cycle too, in which case ....Biden is in some trouble.

8 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

538 wrote an article today about how polls in this stage didnt correlate all that well with general election results, but if was mostly unconvincing (not sure historical data from the 70s has much relevance in this cycle - we need in-cycle explanations). Still, the point they made about the Biden campaign publicly dissing polls was a good one, there is still time to turn this around as long as the problem is recognized. I hope the internal discussions are different.

One thing that is concerning is two cycles now where Trump numbers were underestimated. Is that being overcorrected for this cycle? Hard to say, but the average of polls can still be biased because of some hidden variable. Or it could be the underestimation is true this cycle too, in which case ....Biden is in some trouble.

More and more, I suspect the polls showing Trump ahead of Biden are manipulated somehow - a suspicion reinforced by Trump putting up altered/fake mainstream media articles on his site.

32 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I don't think the polls are "wrong," just that there's a lot of people responding to them that want to register dissatisfaction with the incumbent - something hardly uncommon this early in a cycle.  Even looking at RCP's head-to-head - the most right leaning aggregate site - Trump currently is winning 47.2 percent of the vote. 

Which...yeah, he'll almost certainly win that percentage come November.  It's a matter of what the other 7 percent (Biden's at 45.5) that won't choose either even when the item only gives the respondent those two choices will do.  It's fair to suspect those will predominately be Biden voters come November. 

In terms of demos, one thing I'll say I don't buy is the (comparatively) porous numbers Biden is getting among Black voters.  Again, I don't think the polls are "wrong" in this regard, it's just important to keep in mind polls are snapshots at a certain point in time.  I think push comes to shove, Black voters will come back to Biden come November.  

4 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

What is an adversary when it can change every 4 years?

That's fair, dawg. 

But going back to my first few posts, I describe any state attempting to get the bomb as an adversary.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, I really do hope this is a bit, because otherwise it's shockingly naive to think war with Iran could only be "waged from the air" without inevitable nuclear holocaust.

Holocaust for whom? You think they're gonna build, test, then deploy an H-bomb that can hit us while under air cerfew? 

Nah, no chance. I'm telling ya, you get enough drones... you can do anything. 3, maybe 4 hundred thousand of these things in the air at all hours? No chance. 

You can raid bunkers and sites with boots on the ground if you want, but easier to just blow it up.

ETA: in five years of an ambitious drone program you could have entire flights controlled by AI and one pilot. 20-30 drones flying in formation for the pilot to switch between, tethered by algorithm.

Edited by Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Jace, Extat said:

Holocaust for whom? You think they're gonna build, test, then deploy an H-bomb that can hit us while under air cerfew? 

You think if we start a scorched-earth war with Iran they're the only ones who'll get involved?  :(

5 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

I describe any state attempting to get the bomb as an adversary.

and states that already have them? what are they? what is the usa to the rest of the world? i know that you dont care how the rest of the world views the usa, as long as you can do as you want, you can keep sending drones and keep killing women and children, and be happy about it. 

and the thing is that people like you are the reason why people should fight against US supremacy, you guys are fucking bloodthirsty, havent you got your fill allready? jesus

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

You think if we start a scorched-earth war with Iran they're the only ones who'll get involved?  :(

Yeah! Ain't no one gonna want none of this. You'll see eventually. Peace for another century, afterwards. Guaranteed. Zero American lives lost, not counting self-immolators. 

B)

This shit we're seing in Ukraine? Dawg, they might as well be firing muskets and charging horses at each other. 

Tanks are about as fit for a 21st century battle as a basket of rocks. 

3 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Yeah! Ain't no one gonna want none of this. You'll see eventually. Peace for another century, afterwards. Guaranteed. Zero American lives lost, not counting self-immolators. 

B)

This shit we're seing in Ukraine? Dawg, they might as well be firing muskets and charging horses at each other. 

Tanks are about as fit for a 21st century battle as a basket of rocks. 

Your schtick is lame.