US Politics: A democratic election Prospect Theory and practice

Does a prop in a big election year like the Florida abortion one end up helping or hurting dems?  I’d think the prop will be a win for anyone opposed to forced birth, but doesn’t it give license to then go and vote for a republican, since the bad policy is being decided separately from the candidate?  Doesn’t this remove a major reason to vote dem? (obviously not objectively but for the typical rep-leaning voter)

I think it motivates a lot of people that are not particularly into politics to actually go out to vote because it’s an issue that is close and understandable to people rather than abstract and complicated. And once you vote on abortion you might as well cast your vote for President and congressmen, and you will cast it for the guy that supports your position… it’s kind of a gateway drug… 

which btw reminds me that the dems should also push for cannabis legalization, another topic where the republicans are way out of touch with the general public…

Edited by Bironic

35 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

and I think there is a move there from pro-choice proponents to get a prop on the ballots in November. 

Yes the initiative is essentially the same as Florida’s - basically codifying Roe as a constitutional amendment - and already has more than enough signatures.  Notably, Nevada also has an analogous initiative effort.  Difference between Florida and the latter two, though, is Florida’s already survived court challenges and thus WILL be on the ballot.  State courts could at least theoretically block the other two (albeit that’s very unlikely in Nevada).

9 minutes ago, Bironic said:

which btw reminds me that the dems should also push for cannabis legalization, another topic where the republicans are way out of touch with the general public…

Recreational legalization is on the ballot in Florida as well.

3 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

They will line up enthusiastically behind whomever wins the nomination, whether that person is Donald Trump or Vladimir Putin on Yolo Minneapolis.

I do not appreciate this. Go throw some more snowballs at Santa. 

his is what the AZ 150+ year old dead law revivified means -- and these are the official Republican policies and positions:

Killing women with failed pregnancies
Arresting doctors practicing well-established medical care
Arresting anyone 'aiding and abetting' doctors practicing well-established medical care
Denying medical care to pregnant women in distress
Ending IVF
Bestowing personhood on inchoate cellular masses
Forced birth of the dead, soon to be dead and dying and with any luck the woman will die too
Rejecting well-established science and medical care that women in failed pregnancies risk death without medical intervention
Ending any birth control with respect to said inchoate cellular mass aka ending all birth control
Pretending that "bans" having nothing to do with banning maternal medical care

For me and the women I know, women's right and access to reproductive choice and health care on a ballot way overtrumps legalization of cannabis sales -- particularly when one sees what a disaster it has turned into here in NYC.  One is speaking truth when saying that the former is literally a matter of life and death, while the second one is ... not. :dunno:

I don't have an issue with legalizing pot.  I do however have issues with criminalizing women's health care, criminalizing providing women's health care, criminalizing women traveling out of state for receiving women's health care, criminalizing miscarriages of pregnancies, criminalizing removal of uterus contents when the fetus has died inside, and women dying because they are denied women's health care.   This extends to pregnant people as well.  The issue of criminalizing women's health care goes far beyond abortion.   

Not sure why this seems to be being posed as a competition between the two.  Legalizing marijuana can also help keep people out of prison and their lives being ruined, which is pretty great.

Just now, DMC said:

Not sure why this seems to be being posed as a competition between the two.  Legalizing marijuana can also help keep people out of prison and their lives being ruined, which is pretty great.

Yup, it sure does. 

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

Somehow though, here where it has been decriminalized and the selling of cannabis in stores, it hasn't worked that way at all.  It's created another criminal mess that the cops aren't -- at this time -- doing a thing about, which is almost all the stores are unlicensed and illegal -- and not paying taxes. People are hanging around them, doing other things that may or may not be illegal, but some of them are really unpleasant for a neighborhood and community.  They are more like public nuisances than actual shops providing services and goods.  And many people continue buying the illegal stuff anyway, because it is better and costs less.

Nothing about legalizing the selling of cannabis turned out as it was said it would, including who got the licenses to sell.  It's not popular among certain groups of politicians to hear, say or admit it, but it is the case.  We are living it daily.  Albany is rather flummoxed.  They've tried to correct course a few times and it made no change at all.

Also the stink and the reek, along with the rest of the garbage that gathers around those stores -- ugh.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Somehow though, here where it has been decriminalized and the selling of cannabis in stores, it hasn't worked that way at all.  It's created another criminal mess that the cops aren't -- at this time -- doing a thing about, which is almost all the stores are unlicensed and illegal -- and not paying taxes. People are hanging around them, doing other things that may or may not be illegal, but some of them are really unpleasant for a neighborhood and community.  They are more like public nuisances than actual shops providing services and goods.  And many people continue buying the illegal stuff anyway, because it is better and costs less.

Nothing about legalizing the selling of cannabis turned out as it was said it would, including who got the licenses to sell.  It's not popular among certain groups of politicians to hear, say or admit it, but it is the case.  We are living it daily.  Albany is rather flummoxed.  They've tried to correct course a few times and it made no change at all.

Also the stink and the reek, along with the rest of the garbage that gathers around those stores -- ugh.

Yeah, it is remarkable how badly New York bungled its regulatory scheme and enforcement mechanisms for cannabis legalization. They're basically the case study for other states to review what not to do.

They probably aren't the only state that screwed it up, but they are certainly the most visible.

NY's weed roll out has been pretty lousy, but it's still better than how it was when it was criminalized.  Pretty wild that they didn't just do it how Mass did.  They had a great model right next door.  

In a state where you have people dying in pretrial detention I'll take some losers hanging outside the illegal dispensaries over just one more thing to lock people up for.  And the problems in NY are because it's been done (the legalization rollout) poorly.

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

Yeah I really don’t get how you can take the situation in NYC to generalize when there are tons of other positive examples and aspects to legalization.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Caffeinated coffee is a drug...

Listen, Pot Head. Coffee had hundreds of years to be integrated productively into our societies. There's norms, customs and accepted uses of coffee. 

Meanwhile, since 2012 weed suddenly became a very casual thing. Not all folks come equipped to have ready access to drugs.

23 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Listen, Pot Head. Coffee had hundreds of years to be integrated productively into our societies. There's norms, customs and accepted uses of coffee. 

Meanwhile, since 2012 weed suddenly became a very casual thing. Not all folks come equipped to have ready access to drugs.

First, pot head? I barely smoke these days. My last ounce lasted me nearly half a year. Also I learned today I can't see the plasma flame on my new lighter with my tricked out sunglasses on. Interesting. It's shaped like an original Gameboy. Pretty dope. 

Second, weed has been pretty casual for a long time. It's good we finally got any regulatory system in place, even if it's a flawed one. 

Third, caffeine, still a drug. Being culturally accepted doesn't change that. Bishop to rook 9.

• Ran locked this topic