US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Always suspicious of people taking PR photos with dark sunglasses on. The eyes are the window to the soul, as they say. It's easy to fake smile with your mouth, less easy to fake smile with your eyes, so what are the dark glasses hiding? Is AOC really smiling or has her moral corruption finally begun in earnest?

Window to the soul for those who believe in the thing commonly called “soul”? What about those who don’t? Are we evil? :P

Joking aside, I think the point of this pretty ridiculous photo is that the aviator sunnies are Biden’s trademark? And btw who is the other man?

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Window to the soul for those who believe in the thing commonly called “soul”? What about those who don’t? Are we evil? :P

Joking aside, I think the point of this pretty ridiculous photo is that the aviator sunnies are Biden’s trademark? And btw who is the other man?

We all have a soul, the only difference of opinion is whether it's a discreet metaphysical entity or an emergent property of neuro-physiological and quantum biological phenomena.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ed Markey - the old but junior senator* from MA. He runs as a environmentalist, progressive and beat Joe Kennedy III in the last election.

*Previously he had 20 terms as a Rep in the house.

Edited by Week

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

We all have a soul, the only difference of opinion is whether it's a discreet metaphysical entity or an emergent property of neuro-physiological and quantum biological phenomena.

Not me, there’s just nothing there, wherever “there” is. :D

Helicopters scouring like mad over us.  Not for the rapist from last night, not for the calls by we know who for massive protests to stop the trials of him for whom laws are not a factor,  but because of some tents in front of the Stern business school at NYU set up by the protestors of the I/P war.

10 hours ago, Fez said:

My point is just that they need a Speaker simply for the actual mechanics of passing a bill. Which might be impossible if they ditch Johnson before then.

Well, pretty sure they can grant the acting Speaker more abilities if a majority wants to.  Regardless, this seems to be over-extending the hypothetical.

If Johnson is sacked, it’s going to be fairly soon.  While I agree it will probably take awhile to settle on a replacement (or simply restore Johnson if he doesn’t bow out like McCarthy did), I sincerely doubt they’ll go without a Speaker for, like, five months.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Helicopters scouring like mad over us.  Not for the rapist from last night, not for the calls by we know who for massive protests to stop the trials of him for whom laws are not a factor,  but because of some tents in front of the Stern business school at NYU set up by the protestors of the I/P war.

Universities totally have never responded heavy handed to anti war protests before. Totally can't back fire.

7 hours ago, Dawn Vibration said:

Universities totally have never responded heavy handed to anti war protests before. Totally can't back fire.

Given that the US isn’t a direct participant… I’m not sure I understand the point of disrupting US Universities.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Given that the US isn’t a direct participant… I’m not sure I understand the point of disrupting US Universities.

Perhaps because the US just passed a bill providing $17 billion to Israel to fund the war effort?  Anyway, here’s an article on what Z was talking about last night.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Perhaps because the US just passed a bill providing $17 billion to Israel to fund the war effort?  Anyway, here’s an article on what Z was talking about last night.

Which I’m not thrilled by.  But this isn’t like Vietnam where the US was directly involved.  Further if the US cut off military aid today the Israeli war in Gaza could continue without US support… right?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Which I’m not thrilled by.  But this isn’t like Vietnam where the US was directly involved.  Further if the US cut off military aid today the Israeli war in Gaza could continue without US support… right?

So?  Wouldn't you rather your government not be involved in something if you think that something  is horrible?  Wouldn't you rather see that money spent on something other than military support for a violent action you disagree with?

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Further if the US cut off military aid today the Israeli war in Gaza could continue without US support… right?

Sure…due to the decades of support the US has already provided them.  I’m not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the protests.  Indeed, my immediate concern is how similar efforts may impede my ability to do my job today and at least already has fucked up my parking.  But the logic of the protesters is really not hard to understand unless you’re entirely new to protesting.

21 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

So?  Wouldn't you rather your government not be involved in something if you think that something  is horrible?  Wouldn't you rather see that money spent on something other than military support for a violent action you disagree with?

There is a more subtle question here than most protesters like.  Does the US have more or less influence in Israeli military choices if it cuts off aid?

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sure…due to the decades of support the US has already provided them.  I’m not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the protests.  Indeed, my immediate concern is how similar efforts may impede my ability to do my job today and at least already has fucked up my parking.  But the logic of the protesters is really not hard to understand unless you’re entirely new to protesting.

The protesters are not subtle or nuanced in their positions… that I agree on.  And I do not personally want US Military hardware sent to Israel.  However, I’m also under no illusion that Hamas is the “good guy” or that the use of “from the river to the  sea” is anything but a slogan for expulsion (or worse) of entire ethnic groups within the territory of Israel/Palestine whichever side trots it out.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is a more subtle question here than most protesters like.  Does the US have more or less influence in Israeli military choices if it cuts off aid?

Who knows?  They US doesn't appear to have much influence right now.  It's not illogical to think that cutting of military aid to Israel is a more direct and sensible option.  

But the US government has been supporting Israel for a long time.  Maybe it's illogical to protestors to think that the US would suddenly rein in Israel by providing them with more weapons.  If protestors felt they had better ways of influencing the US government I doubt they'd be out there right now.  

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic