UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

Reading up about Mark Menzies’ history of drunken and erratic behaviour, I wonder what the Conservatives were thinking, by keeping him as an MP.  But then, that applies to so many of the MP’s.

Edited by SeanF

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Reading up about Mark Menzies’ history of drunken and erratic behaviour, I wonder what the Conservatives were thinking, by keeping him as an MP.  

I imagine he voted the way they told him to, without any fuss.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Industrial revo-whatnow?

Nah, must be racism innit. 

Where did the raw materials used in the factories come from, such as cotton? 

Also many of our universities were funded by legacies left by the rich who made money through colonialism and slavery. 

Glasgow has a lot of areas and streets named after such things and people

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

5 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Where did the raw materials used in the factories come from, such as cotton? 

Also many of our universities were funded by legacies left by the rich who made money through colonialism and slavery. 

Glasgow has a lot of areas and streets named after such things and people

Did colonialism happen? Yup
Were other countries resources exploited? Yup
Was this a new phenomenon the British invented? Nope
Can Britain's success by explained by 'colonialism' and 'racism'? Nope
Did the Industrial Revolution as well as a number of key factors play into Britains success? Yep
Has Kemi said anything wrong here? Nope
Has it outraged a bunch of keyboard warriors because the answer is always 'colonialism'? Yep
Is that a good thing? Definitely.

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Did colonialism happen? Yup
Were other countries resources exploited? Yup
Was this a new phenomenon the British invented? Nope
Can Britain's success by explained by 'colonialism' and 'racism'? Nope
Did the Industrial Revolution as well as a number of key factors play into Britains success? Yep
Has Kemi said anything wrong here? Nope
Has it outraged a bunch of keyboard warriors because the answer is always 'colonialism'? Yep
Is that a good thing? Definitely.

Britain’s success is down to stealing other people’s lands and exploiting the shit out of them.

Just now, Heartofice said:

Colonialism is the answer!!
What was the question? Doesn't matter.

The question was how did much of the world’s wealth wind up in Britain, paying for infrastructure that we still enjoy today.

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Britain’s success is down to stealing other people’s lands and exploiting the shit out of them.

To be fair, its only 'a significant amount of' rather than 'absolutely all'. 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:38 AM, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

When a person claims that their primary concern about puberty blockers is the well-being of children, they kind of undermine their own argument there when they then proceed to defend parents physically assaulting their kids. The concern for the health and well-being of kids kind of goes out the window at that point. But defending the well-being of children is certainly more socially acceptable than being more out and openly a bigot against people with gender non-conforming identities

Gamergate ethics in journalism from the same ilk strikes again. Why rewrite the book when it's already been written?

Gamergate, Qanon, Brexit -- all purportedly about an underlying social 'good' (ethics, child trafficking, freedum/autonomy/immigration) that were pushed by reactionary/rightwingers for their own pet projects (bigotry, misogyny, power) and actively contrary to their purported goal.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

To be fair, its only 'a significant amount of' rather than 'absolutely all'. 

This will be tough for HoI to parse since he thinks "Racism is part of the negative reaction to Meghan Markle" is equivalent to "Racism is the only reason for the negative reaction to Meghan Markle."

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Thieves keep thieving.  First we as a whole plunder it from others.  Then we plunder it from ourselves.  That's how it works, amirite.

I think this is an very accurate statement, though to clarify it for some you might have to explain that “plunder it from others” means people in other countries and “plunder it from ourselves” means people in our own countries. You may have been too nuanced.

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This will be tough for HoI to parse since he thinks "Racism is part of the negative reaction to Meghan Markle" is equivalent to "Racism is the only reason for the negative reaction to Meghan Markle."

You are confusing  me with Meghan Markle.