US Politics: The Bully Culprit

DMC

Posted (edited)

Provoked by our own reactions to the WKCR broadcasting of the NYPD invasion of Columbia, a friend wrote this; she has given permission to put it here, as it deals with US history, including political and academic history: 

Even among people who've heard about "Kent State" -- those not old enough to remember it firsthand -- nobody knows that pretty much all the colleges, universities, and many high schools across the US were shut down by a national student strike in the spring of 1970 and did not finish out the semester, because it hasn't been part of our recycled pop-history memory.

Saturday was the 54th anniversary of . . . we used to say, "Kent State," using the Ohio university's name as a shorthand for the entire phenomenon that included not only the May 4, 1970 murder of four students by the Ohio National Guard in the context of anti-war demonstrations but also the national days of outrage that followed and the murder of two students at Jackson State in Mississippi on May 15.

I was a sophomore at the University of New Mexico, one of hundreds who occupied the student union in response, following several days of demonstrations that reportedly featured a shouting match (I wasn't there) in front of UNM President Ferrel Heady's residence between Jane Fonda and Gregory Corso, no less, both of whom were visiting campus.

The New Mexico governor, a Republican nonentity named David Cargo, called in the National Guard while he was off on a fishing vacation. The Guard bayoneted 11 students, thankfully not fatally, on May 8. A friend of mine took a bayonet slash in one of his buttocks. There's a Wikipedia page about the "bayoneting incident" which frames it as "a violent altercation between students protesting on the campus of the University of New Mexico (UNM) and the New Mexico Army National Guard that took place on May 8, 1970, in Albuquerque, New Mexico," which makes it sound like the students were violent, which of course they weren't. They were attacked by the National Guard, period, who charged them with bayonets fixed. Sound familiar?

The proceedings were covered in full as they happened by KUNM, the student radio station; a 2020 documentary by Kent Paterson using archival material from that coverage is here.

That experience is burned into my brain, but no one knows about it. 1968 is pop history's go-to banner year for political unrest, with good reason, but the outstanding drama of my undergraduate years was 1970, and I have always in some way commemorated May 4 ever since. Even among people who've heard about "Kent State" -- those not old enough to remember it firsthand -- nobody knows that pretty much all the colleges, universities, and many high schools across the US were shut down by a national student strike in the spring of 1970 and did not finish out the semester, because it hasn't been part of our recycled pop-history memory.

I'd been wondering when something like this might happen again.

Listening to WKCR cover the taking of the Columbia campus by NYPD forces this week brought it all back. WKCR's student reporters rose to the occasion and deserve the Pulitzer (next year -- this year's were announced today), for giving us the coverage we weren't otherwise getting. In 1970, male college students were being drafted and sent to fight in Vietnam, which was a broadly potent motivator to end the war. This situation is different, but once again, it seems to be on college students to stop a war, because nobody else is doing it. Don't get me started on our awful mayor Eric Adams, who blamed the trouble on "outside agitators."

Not the least of the ironies is that WKCR is a barely-functional operation technically and is best known for the copious hours it devotes to playing historical jazz, but they're a radio station, and radio still matters, because anyone with a radio (not a given any more) can hear it for free in the zone of geographic coverage. The students on air made frequent reference to their streaming capability topping out and urged people to listen to the radio station itself. In between dispatches, they played Coltrane.

The blowback from Kent State was intense. The president at the time was the paranoid Richard Nixon, who was beside himself to see the nation's entire university system shut down protesting his (and Henry Kissinger's) invasion of Cambodia. They were under the sway of foreign communists, he insisted. Outside agitators! Two years later, he was re-elected with 520 electoral votes to 17 for George McGovern.

The campus protests of 1970 marked a turning point in attitudes toward US colleges on the part of legislators. Over the following years, as the US economy went into a tailspin, humanities departments were downsized, university budgets cut, and tuition, which had cost almost nothing, began to rise.

The blowback to this will be intense too, given the way people all over America believe that Black Lives Matter burned and looted cities in summer 2020.

I can't believe the Democrats are having their convention in Chicago this year.

Evidently the journalists breathlessly seeking campus violence don't know this either, and, in breach of their profession, haven't researched either.

Edited by Zorral

38 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Biden has done a lot of good things (economic stewardship/employment, climate bill, Ukraine).  I think that when you make an argument of "it doesn't really matter how fit Biden is, Trump is totally unacceptable", the unspoken assumption is that Biden isn't that great.  But Biden has in fact been pretty good, and it serves us all well to point that out.

Yeah.  Obama had two terms so it’s tough to make too direct a comparison, but I think it’s fair to say Biden has had the most successful - and progressive - presidential term in my lifetime.  Especially considering everything he’s had to deal with.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I loathe the concept of the lesser of two evils.  

I also think, with what he's had to work with, the majority of Biden's term has been a success.  Like said above, you can't find a politician you'll agree with on every single thing, and for me, Biden send to tick most boxes. At the moment, the worst that can be said about him is he's old. (I leave the legacy of the whole to the side for the moment). 

I'm also like to believe that I'm capable of seeing through BS talking points. How issues with inflation are directly his fault, for example.  That's simply not true.

But as I've did before and continue to say: we're not voting for Biden's second term. We're voting to ensure we get to vote in 2 years and again in four. And beyond.  And no, it isn't just about Trump and his authoritative desires, it's about the authoritative desires that have been given credence and weight to the entirety of the GOP. Frankly, no one should be voting for any Republicans, as they are currently constituted, if one happens to actually like the country the live in. 

Funny how the right loves to call Biden old, when Trump is only younger than him by 4 years. Double standards anyone, lol

Edited by sifth

I think Biden is straight up a good president. Whether that's from his own personal merits or because he simply has good advisors around him, I can't say. But that doesn't matter; most of the job is being good at delegating anyway. 

Biden's been dealt a tough set of cards: the aftermath of COVID, rampant inflation, a truly insane opposition party, etc. And in spite of that he has been the consequential liberal President since LBJ (and like LBJ he has a foreign policy problem threatening to overshadow his massive domestic achievements; though at least tens of thousands of Americans aren't dying in it). 

IMO he's in the upper third of US presidents already (though that's not too hard, there's been a lot of terrible and/or forgettable ones), and if he wins re-election he probably ends up in the top 10.

Biden gave a speech today condemning the recent surge in antisemitism:

“This ancient hatred of Jews didn’t begin with the Holocaust – it didn’t end with the Holocaust, either, or even after our victory in World War II. This hatred continues to lie deep in the hearts of too many people in the world and requires our continued vigilance and outspokenness,” Biden said.

He continued, “Now, here we are – not 75 years later, but just seven and a half months later – and people are already forgetting. They’re already forgetting that Hamas unleashed this terror. … I have not forgotten, nor have you, and we will not forget.”

Biden pointed to a “ferocious surge” of antisemitism in the US in the aftermath of October 7, from propaganda on social media to Jewish students being harassed or attacked on campus.

“Too many people denying, downplaying, rationalizing and ignoring the horrors of the Holocaust and October 7 – including Hamas’ appalling use of sexual violence to torture and terrorize. It’s absolutely despicable – and it must stop,” he said, raising his voice.

I don't agree with him on everything, but in this respect I think he's spot on.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dawn Vibration said:

Biden is not a good president. Attacking your own citizens for not supporting your shitty foreign policy with Israel and labeling those protesting it bigots with a broad brush to protect a foreign nation is actually the mark of a truly horrible person.

Speaking of a rather broad brush... this is the Mark Rothko of presidential assessments!

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria
sorry, can't resist bad jokes

1 hour ago, Dawn Vibration said:

Biden is not a good president. Attacking your own citizens for not supporting your shitty foreign policy with Israel and labeling those protesting it bigots with a broad brush to protect a foreign nation is actually the mark of a truly horrible person.

Which citizens has Biden attacked now?

MTG backs off holding a vote to sack Johnson.  As I said a few weeks ago, as long as Trump continues to back Johnson, I don’t think she’ll force a vote.

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Which citizens has Biden attacked now?

I can’t answer for DV but imho he did attack everyone who is peacefully protesting by a) not speaking up against the crack down in campuses all over - I mean, one of his campaign’s mantras is the dangers of fascism and authoritarianism, right? 
b) continuing to feed the absurd notion (read censorship) that anti Zionism = antisemitism - something that countless Jews have spoken against repeatedly, warning that it is exactly the type of thing that fuels real, vile antisemitism.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

b) continuing to feed the absurd notion (read censorship) that anti Zionism = antisemitism - something that countless Jews have spoken against repeatedly, warning that it is exactly the type of thing that fuels real, vile antisemitism.

Not so sure about this one. Heard a speech of his the other night [not sure when he gave it however] but he was on point differentiating imo, speaking about the perils of both Antisemitism and Islamophobia.

Edited by JGP

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JGP said:

Not so sure about this one. Heard a speech of his the other night [not sure when he gave it however] but he was on point differentiating imo, speaking about the perils of both Antisemitism and Islamophobia.

The way he talks about the protests and the protesters conflates anti Zionism and antisemitism, so even if he says the two are different, his actions show he either didn’t mean what he said or he doesn’t understand it - and if it is the latter, someone should explain it to him and make sure he gets it. Just as Jewish pro war students have the right to feel safe in their campuses, the multi faith anti war students do too imo. YMMV.

*for later

Edited by kissdbyfire

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The way he talks about the protests and the protesters conflates anti Zionism and antisemitism, so even if he says the two are different, his actions show he either didn’t mean what he said or he doesn’t understand it - and if it is the latter, someone should explain it to him and make sure he gets it. Just as Jewish pro war students have the right to feel safe in their campuses, the multi faith anti war students do too imo.

This is the gist of what he said, least how I interpreted it. 

I will agree however he's too words off re the chickenshit Universities, and the Popo in particular though.

Edited by JGP

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with this argument, but I do think that it sells short what Biden has delivered for Democrats, and if you are talking to people about why you should vote for Biden, you should explore whether another tact is needed.  Some people just flatly refuse to believe that Trump is a threat and that the US might change from a real democracy to a sham one. 

Biden has done a lot of good things (economic stewardship/employment, climate bill, Ukraine).  I think that when you make an argument of "it doesn't really matter how fit Biden is, Trump is totally unacceptable", the unspoken assumption is that Biden isn't that great.  But Biden has in fact been pretty good, and it serves us all well to point that out. 

For the record: I agree with you.  He has done a lot of good.  He'll continue to do so, given the chance.  But when dealing with someone who stays out with the age factor or that he's the lesser of two evils, then it comes down to simply hammering home the question of whether the person in talking to like voting and not living in an authoritative regime and that that is why they need to think about how they actually vote. Sometimes it even makes the person actually stop and think. 

Posted (edited)

I am melting down.  I cannot endure this insanity!  I'm just sitting here trying to think of what to make for dinner and helicopters are going nutz over my head, the radio is describing Stormy Daniels's testimony, and is interrupted to say that a kid was shot dead in plaza two blocks from where I am, and two kids have run away, so I guess the helicopters aren't about NYU or The Trial.

This is the second violent crime committed within two blocks from two different directions within two weeks.  Last week it was an invasion rape.

WTF?????????  Since all these cannabis storefronts opened things have been deteriorating quickly.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

his actions show he either didn’t mean what he said or he doesn’t understand it

This seems to be circular logic.  You’re saying his actions don’t match his words, but when asked to identify what actions, really the only one mentioned is him being too “hands off” the police crackdown.  I tend to agree, but again that is a rhetorical point.  I don’t think he should be using the substantive powers of the presidency - like, say, federalizing the national guard - to confront the NYPD.  That doesn’t sound like it’d help the situation.

Just now, DMC said:

This seems to be circular logic.  You’re saying his actions don’t match his words, but when asked to identify what actions, really the only one mentioned is him being too “hands off” the police crackdown.

I wouldn’t say “being too hands off” is problematic at all, just the opposite. But I also wouldn’t say he’s being too hands off either. He has spoken about it twice? Not sure, but I think it was once or twice. And in both occasions he did use the same language and rhetoric that all the MSM uses. And it’s not even subtle. So, not really hands off imo b/c he has his hand on the scale. 

Just now, DMC said:

I tend to agree, but again that is a rhetorical point.  I don’t think he should be using the substantive powers of the presidency - like, say, federalizing the national guard - to confront the NYPD.  That doesn’t sound like it’d help the situation.

Agree 100%.

• Ran locked this topic