George's LJ

Stego

Just a heads up, BWB:

If I find out those trolls on George's LJ are any of you, you'll no longer be welcome at any BWB events. I'm bloody sick and tired of seeing the man trolled and insulted on his own internet journal. If I see one more bloody post anywhere about his mortality, the same rule will apply. There are many FRIENDS of George around here, and I do not appreciate people talking about the mortality of my friends, and I would hope you feel the same.

Besides which, if any of those despicable cretins had ever partied with George, they would know full well he will outlive the cockroach.

In other news, BWB website grand reopening! (In, you know, just a few months.)

Scot: not to speak for Stego, but I don't think he is talking about people who 'complain about the production speed of his [GRRM's] work'. People are entitled to do that without being banned.

He is talking about the (very small) handful of individuals who are in a completely different class. People who are not posting 'complaints' but 'gratuitous personal abuse'. People who, rather than express a [i]hope[/i] that the book will be done soon, rudely [i]demand[/i] that it is. People who use the anonymity of the internet to hurl insults and attack GRRM, his friends, and his family. Idiots, in other words.

I think we can all agree that such people are not fans, and are not likely to be very good company. I won't miss 'em. ;)

I've said it before, and suggested it more than once, that GRRM should set up a closed posting community with a few admins to help deal with the trolling. It'd clean up real quick. At least he has his assistant Ty helping with the more onerous trolls.

mormont,

[quote name='mormont' post='1512268' date='Sep 10 2008, 08.39']Scot: not to speak for Stego, but I don't think he is talking about people who 'complain about the production speed of his [GRRM's] work'. People are entitled to do that without being banned.

He is talking about the (very small) handful of individuals who are in a completely different class. People who are not posting 'complaints' but 'gratuitous personal abuse'. People who, rather than express a [i]hope[/i] that the book will be done soon, rudely [i]demand[/i] that it is. People who use the anonymity of the internet to hurl insults and attack GRRM, his friends, and his family. Idiots, in other words.

I think we can all agree that such people are not fans, and are not likely to be very good company. I won't miss 'em. ;)[/quote]

I understand the distinction. I've argued with some of GRRM's personal trolls on his LJ from time to time. They are very unpleasent.

The thing that gets me about these trolls is that they are absolutely fucking morons. They make stuff up which is just utter bullshit and then run off and cry when they get called on it. This is one gem:

[quote name='LJ Fucktard vs Me']"I preordered AFFC in early 2001 from Amazon!"

Really? The book didn't even [i]exist[/i] until September of that year and Amazon didn't create a listing for it until months later. So how did you mange that?[/quote]

Sometimes you have no choice but to go a'trollhunting. If you want real comedy, go check out the [url="http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Song-Ice-Fire/dp/0553801473/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217352831&sr=8-10"]topic forum[/url] for the ADWD hardcover on Amazon.com. Awesome stuff.

In retrospect, this may have been 'too angry' of a post. I just spent some time last evening reading the replies to his last few entries in his LJ, and I admit I was infuriated.

It was quite obvious at Worldcon that these trolls genuinely distressed George. I had never heard him say a negative word about his fans before, but this was brought up immediately when he was asked about them. References to Misery were made.

[quote name='mormont' post='1512268' date='Sep 10 2008, 07.39']Scot: not to speak for Stego, but I don't think he is talking about people who 'complain about the production speed of his [GRRM's] work'. People are entitled to do that without being banned.

He is talking about the (very small) handful of individuals who are in a completely different class. People who are not posting 'complaints' but 'gratuitous personal abuse'. People who, rather than express a [i]hope[/i] that the book will be done soon, rudely [i]demand[/i] that it is. People who use the anonymity of the internet to hurl insults and attack GRRM, his friends, and his family.[/quote]

And in particular, people who visit someone's personal live journal and respond about the person in the third person, as if they're not there. I just can't comprehend all these people who talk about GRRM in the third person on his own LJ, as if it is some random forum, floating out in the interweb. In a way, I think it is even ruder then sending him a nasty letter, since it is a direct response to GRRM's post but written as if it is not.

Eh, love you Stego, and I love GRRM, but I don't think he really needs the BwB to act as the fucking Kingsguard to protect him from mean people on the internet. He already has a personal assistant deleting posts that he feels are abusive, I don't see any point in wasting any more energy on it.

A public figure, posting on a public forum is going to attract trolls. Just a fact of celebrity and internet life.

[quote name='Ghost of Nymeria' post='1513500' date='Sep 11 2008, 10.58']Eh, love you Stego, and I love GRRM, but I don't think he really needs the BwB to act as the fucking Kingsguard to protect him from mean people on the internet. He already has a personal assistant deleting posts that he feels are abusive, I don't see any point in wasting any more energy on it.

A public figure, posting on a public forum is going to attract trolls. Just a fact of celebrity and internet life.[/quote]

eh, I don't think Stego was saying it's the BWB's job to protect George. He's just suggesting that if he discovers that those who say mean things about George are part of the BWB community he's going to exclude them from future events. Which you know, is fair enough. Although I think it unlikely that there's any overlap. Besides I understood him to be speaking as a [i]friend [/i] in his own right.

That said, I think the best thing to do is just to ignore these people as you suggest, rather than waste time arguing with those who think personal abuse is a legitimate form of debate. It reminds me of that classic new yorker cartoon, of the guy who can't go to bed yet becuase there's someone wrong on the internet.

Archived