The Coming N00bpocalypse

Jaime L

So, I have recently had two of my friends contact me about reading the series before the show starts. I didn't even remember recommending it to them. Anyway, they are active on the internet and like to...."discuss," so I'm guessing they will end up around here eventually.

Truth be told, the Board would be better for it - they would be both be excellent internet personalities. Although they're both lawyers. Sorry.

So from sample size of two, I think it'll work out just fine.

Also, the show is called Game of Thrones. A Google search of that title doesn't even bring up this Board on the first page, assuming we're not affiliated with winter-is-coming.net. IMO, only people who read the series will find their way here.

But a ton of people are about to read the series.

The idea of having RL friends around here that didn't become my RL friends from here weirds me out a little bit, though, just because I'm not used to it. I'm thinking about changing my Board name to something less dorky.

Also, the show is called Game of Thrones. A Google search of that title doesn't even bring up this Board on the first page, assuming we're not affiliated with winter-is-coming.net. IMO, only people who read the series will find their way here.

If you add 'forum', though, this place comes up. They'll come.

Maybe we should elect a Pledge Committee and chairman to handle all the new pledges n00bs and then the hazing indoctrination brainwashing welcoming can be systematic and organized.

Can we have a rule stating all their nicknames must include "Flounder" in it? And that Ran gets to paddle them while they keep saying "thank you sir, may I have another?"

I know I'm mixing the two frats but I just want to make the experience special for the incoming hordes.

We should all do this, but half of us use fake spoilers.

:lol: Brilliant!

We should also make Jamie's conspiracy theory post about Sandor and Gregor being brothers mandatory reading for all newcomers.

I think I've allready chosen my fake quote.

Jon: I'm not traitor Rob. I did it for father. Your the one who knelt.

Rob: You said the words. You where a man of the nights watch. No Stark, a deserter. Snow. I hereby sentance you to die.

needs a bit of work, but I think its suitable material.

It certainly is something I'm concerned about. One of the things that makes this forum unique is the high level of discourse prevalent in many threads (just consider the ridiculous number of PhDs who regularly post here!). I'm somewhat concerned that this dynamic might change after the series starts. On the other hand, maybe the chichimec hoards will head elsewhere. Who knows.

I'm sure Ran could update the registration process by having credentials sent out to WES for review before allowing posting privileges. And the level of privilege would naturally be based on level of credentials. :rolleyes:

It might actually be a good thing to have new people here....That way instead of creating a wish list of new topics to discuss, they might actually get...discussed. Crazy. I bet there's even people on the board, right this instant, that have never even read the books.

I remember the outrage over the uncouth savages which came flooding into this place when AFFC came out because I was one of 'em. It was like barbarians had stormed Rome.

My very first thought was that you've only been around since AFFC came out? You haven't been my arch-nemesis for very long at all have you? Then I remembered that AFFC came out 5 years ago...damn you, Jaime. From the depths hell's cold heart, I stab at thee! :P

so, no faith at all that DwD may beat the series to the street?

ah well. me neither.

Ooh! Conspiracy theory! ADWD release date announced in the wake of the series' premiere! ;)

I'm thinking about changing my Board name to something less dorky.

Go with "Awesomesauce McLawyerpants."

Ooh...how many nOObs will wander over here and bitch that they couldn't get the screen name "Jon Snow" and had to settle for "Jon Snow 3429"...?

At least "Jaxom" is still available.

I will be playing the role of Captain Save a Noob.

"Hey you Boarder of Long Time Standing, be nice to this Noob! How was SHE to know that 'R+L=J' isn't a new theory!!

So...Female Noob, what's your sign??" :leer:

Archived