What Movie Did You Watch Recently?

SillentRegrets

Saw Red State by Kevin Smith. Very intense,well written and occasionally funny. His best film by some miles. Superb.

Rec 2 was good fun but nothing more, undemanding fun really.

Mulberry Street. A low budget wererats in New York schlocker from the guys who made the brilliant if utterly depressing Stake Land. Not Bad actually. The low budget makes the monsters look rather lame but as with Stake Land it does what every horror must do (but so often fails to) and that is create likeable characters and put them in a shit load of danger.

I just finished watching the Dawn of the Dead remake. Holy crap that was a good movie. How has it taken me this long to see this?

I haven't watched the original (or any of the originals) yet, but should I? This seems like the perfect zombie.

The original is far more satirical and less Zombies on speed die! die!! High octane these zombies can sprint sorta thing. Its a cynical take on human consumerism and more interesting than the remake but less thrilling also.

Just saw Captain America last night. Another comic I was never really into, so don't know how true to the canon it is, but was very enjoyable. was entirely set up for the Avengers movie, but that's fine. Thought Weaving went a little over the top a few times as the Red Skull but not nearly as bad as others have done.

I thought i make a movie suggestion, to all those out there who really want to watch something different. Theres a great Japanese movie called Battle Royale, compared to what we have in north America it would probably considered over the top. Its a good movie, messed up but good. If you don't mind Subtitles check this one out.

Now you mention over the top, have you seen "Ichi the killer"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296042/

The last movie I saw was "Incendies", I can recommend it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/

Just saw Captain America last night. Another comic I was never really into, so don't know how true to the canon it is, but was very enjoyable. was entirely set up for the Avengers movie, but that's fine. Thought Weaving went a little over the top a few times as the Red Skull but not nearly as bad as others have done.

How do you know (the Hugo Weaving overdoing Red Skull) if it's a comic franchise you were never realy into? I was never a big Cpt. America fan either, I thought Hugo was great, and infofar as I would expect a character with a devil red skull-ish head to be I think Hugio played him very well. Almost the best thing about the movie IMO. But I am a Hugo fan, so I might be seeing his performance through rose-tinted glasses.

I saw Contagion on the weekend. 7/10, but not a movie you really need to see at the cinema. It played a bit like Crash and Babel. I liked Babel and I thought Crash was over-rated. Contagion is somewhere in between. I liked the fact that they didn't play overly fast and loose with immunology, epidemiology and virology. I liked the fact they kept the mortality rate for the disease down to a reasonable level for a fictitious disease that has the potential to be a global pandemic. Rather implausible final explanation of how the virus went from bat to pig to human, would have been better to simply leave that out.

Quite a good piece of dialogue:

Actpr who plays the photographer from the comedy series 'Just Shoot Me' as a Homeland Security dude:

Could someone have weaponised bird 'flu?

Laurence Fishburne (who's gained a few kilos since The Matrix) playing a CDC big wig:

You don't need to weaponise bird 'flu, the birds are doing it already.

If they'd cast Samuel L. Jackson instead of Laurence Fishburne:

Muthafuckas don't need to weaponise the muthafuckin' bird 'flu, the muthafuckin' birds are already weaponising the muthafucka.

Conan the barbarian (2011). It was shit. No wonder Mamoa is trying to write Khal Drogo back into the TV show, It says a lot for the script when Mamoa was far more convincing speaking in a made-up language than he was in English. It's not really his fault so i hope his career doesn't tank because of it.

Following my fascination with the gangster movies, I decided to go for the roots and watch some classics that have supposedly influenced the makers of the later brilliant ones.

So, I watched "Little Ceasar", Force of Evil" and "On the Waterfront".

I was amazed how crude and preachy the first 2 were. And "Little Ceasar" is quite disjointed on the top of it too. Some good performances in them once in a while, but all in all - huge disappointments. Yes, yes, those are movies from late 30-ties and late 40-ties respectively, but I remember some much better stuff from the era.

On the Waterfront, OTOH, is simply superb. It is difficult to believe that it was made just a couple of years after Force of Evil and that they keep being mentioned together as classics of the genre.

Watched a film with Kristin Scott Thomas called "Her name was Sarah", but also known under the title "Sarah's Key". That actually packed a very strong emotional punch, recommended.

Briefly, there are two timelines, a modern one in which KST's character is a journalist married to a Frenchman whose family hides a secret that is conntected to the WWII storyline. This is the story of Sarah, a younbg Jewish girl, her brother, and her parents. They get shipped off to the Velodrome where they are to await deportation in the most horrifying conditions. Before they were forced to abandon her home, she locked her little brother in a closet. The story proceeds from there.

8 stars out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you know (the Hugo Weaving overdoing Red Skull) if it's a comic franchise you were never realy into?

Don't need to be a fan of a series to say something was overacted or not.

Just saw Conan over the weekend. Might have been the flu-affected perception, but it didn't suck as much as I had expected.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service a week or two ago and apparently I didn't mention it here. It was good.

The ending made me sad.

On Sunday I watched Super 8. I enjoyed it but it was not especially memorable.

Watched a film with Kristin Scott Thomas called "Her name was Sarah", but also known under the title "Sarah's Key". That actually packed a very strong emotional punch, recommended.

Briefly, there are two timelines, a modern one in which KST's character is a journalist married to a Frenchman whose family hides a secret that is conntected to the WWII storyline. This is the story of Sarah, a younbg Jewish girl, her brother, and her parents. They get shipped off to the Velodrome where they are to await deportation in the most horrifying conditions. Before they were forced to abandon her home, she locked her little brother in a closet. The story proceeds from there.

8 stars out of 10.

I didn't know they made a movie based on the book! I will have to check this out.. (Even though i hated the way the book ended)

Bridesmaids. Wow. Was the worst parts of Ally McBeal expanded into a two hour movie.

One of it not the worst movie I've seen this year. It's just fucking terrible. The only good parts were the bits with Roy from The IT Crowd; they should have just made a movie about his character.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally saw The Third Man. Wow, the (gangster) films from the 40-ties are redeemed! This is indeed a masterpiece. Not a single false note.The funny thing is that I live in Vienna, have heard a thousand times about the iconic status of The Third Man and even translated on The Third Man-themed sewer excursion once (and um, I don't think that using it as a habitual shortcut would make a dapper gangster inconspicuous ;)) , but resisted watching it until now.

Also saw Coppola's Rumble Fish and even though I have little sympathy for rebels without a cause whose tragedy mainly consists of terminal ennui, I still enjoyed it very much. Great performances, cinematography, atmosphere, etc. Really liked how going to lengths with depiction of a character's PoV worked out, too.

Saw Red State by Kevin Smith. Very intense,well written and occasionally funny. His best film by some miles. Superb.

I watches Red State on Netflix the other day as well and was impressed with the level of performance that Smith got out of his actors. There was excellent acting in this particularly so with the cult leader. I wouldn't call it Kevin Smith's best movie as there are several of his films that I enjoyed more than this one.

Bridesmaids. Wow. Was the worst parts of Ally McBeal expanded into a two hour movie.

One of it not the worst movie I've seen this year. It's just fucking terrible. The only good parts were the bits with Roy from The IT Crowd; they should have just made a movie about his character.

Funny, i watched it about a week ago and i thought it was one of the best movies i have seen all year. I liked that it was quite different from the feel good story Hollywood usually dishes up though maybe not that different afterall and while i didn't really like any of the characters they at least felt very real. I remember thinking "finally a movie with a soul". But then i also thought the movie was hilarious and thats pretty important in a comedy.

Just got done watching Limitless with the family. I was entertained and i do not regret watching it at all, but i saw every single plot twist coming. Still i can appreciate a well made movie when i see one.

I feel like Limitless seemed like it might go in an interesting direction, but it didn't. Felt like a total cop out. Otherwise a fairly mediocre movie.

Bridesmaids was great. Funny and depressing at the same time and I thought it straddled both rather well.

I just watched Priest which was thoroughly meh. CGI-filled fight scenes and Paul Bettany being emotionless. One good aspect was that it was pretty damn short and so didn't feel like it was needlessly drawing out its mediocrity.

Archived