Football, football, football 34

mormont

Fellaini banned for three games.

I'm in two minds about it - as a direct red, three it is, but it feels more violent (as it's not something to accidentially will happen after a late challenge), so I would have thought a game or two more could fit as punishment. Would have felt a bit harsh, I guess, as Robert Huth escaped with nothing after stamping on Suarez (comparable incident in my mind, even if one was head to head and the other foot to chest), but I think such actions need to be discouraged. Big Dunc got seven for punching Paul Scharner, that one sat more easily with me.

Guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is I'm happy with only three. We'll miss him (that is, his play, not his antics).

I find Fellaini's statement below totally acceptable though:

I apologise completely to Ryan Shawcross, my team-mates and to our fans at the game. There was a lot of pushing and pulling going on inside the Stoke penalty area and I didn't feel I was getting any protection from the officials. Nevertheless I know I shouldn't have done what I did. I've also apologised to the manager and the staff. I have no excuses. I was disappointed with the way I was being treated and I lost my temper, which was unprofessional

The constant grabbing and shirt-pulling is something that has long since required action. It's becoming ridiculous now, and so obvious and in the face of the ref. IMO, as soon as the ref sees hands clamping a player during corners, he should blow his whistle. Again and again until players learn that it is not allowed.

proper by the book officiating of a match would almost always end with at least one player sent off, a slew of yellows and a handful of penalties.

I tire of the wrestling matches during corners and freekicks. the shirt pulling is out of control. nobody wants the officials to get too involved in the play, but grow some balls and pull some cards.

it would not take long to sort itself out.

we would see a lot more goals off of set pieces without all the penalty box fouling that goes uncalled.

proper by the book officiating of a match would almost always end with at least one player sent off, a slew of yellows and a handful of penalties.

then there are only two acceptable options - either the rules should change or the way the game is played should.

i'd love seeing some rule that would completely mess up the way corners are taken now.

for example, no one can stand in goalie's area (i don't know if that's the proper term, but i mean that smaller box in front of the goal) before the corner kick is taken or something like that.

not saying it would be a good idea, but it sure would shake things up.

Domenech returned from South Africa so despised in France that his three-year-old son asked him: “Papa, are you going to go to prison?”

Great review of Domenech's autobiography by Simon Kuper of Soccernomics/Why England Lose fame.

Arsenal tie down Jenkinson, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Gibbs, Ramsey to new "long term" contracts, it's good to see we're learning from past mistakes. Obviously Walcott not being one of those is a concern for many, personally though I hope he goes.

I had a look at the South American qualifying campaign for the next WC. Colombia are doing well. 3rd with a game in hand. I presume that is mainly driving their surge up the charts. Will be nice to see Colombia back in the big time. While Paraguay, after a long run of success, are struggling big time. Uruguay are also having some troubles after a great few years. Interesting. While Venezuela are proving they can play football too. Maybe.

Wow. Mali ranked higher than the US. Did not see that one coming. I mean I know we've been playing rather shit football lately, but ok.

It's not that surprising - it's obviously weighted to the stronger federations overall and the CAF is stronger than CONCACAF. So in between tournaments Mali are going to find it easier to climb higher if they do well than the US who are coming second in a two horse race.

I had a look at the South American qualifying campaign for the next WC. Colombia are doing well. 3rd with a game in hand. I presume that is mainly driving their surge up the charts. Will be nice to see Colombia back in the big time. While Paraguay, after a long run of success, are struggling big time. Uruguay are also having some troubles after a great few years. Interesting. While Venezuela are proving they can play football too. Maybe.

It's be great to see Falcao owning people on the reg in and international tournament for sure.

For the last professional games being played before the winter break in Germany, I finally made it to the biggest stadium German football has to offer, watching Dortmund host Hannover in a cup tie.

So just going by experience of football games and big festivals and such like, showing up about half an hour before kick-off should have been plenty of time to get to my seat in time, yet I only managed it several minutes after the game had started (missing the first goal) and that only because at the end Westfalenstadion security just decided to skip any security checks. I don't think I've ever entered such an event without at least a cursery pat down.

Apart from that tiny logistical flaw (and to be fair, getting to the stadium and back home again after is no trouble whatsoever), Dortmund has a pretty awesome stadium with fantastic atmosphere. The game sadly was a bit one-sided, ending up at 5-1. Hannover really never looked threatening and barely even touched the ball in the first half. But hey, happy home fans makes for a better all around experience.

The odds for David Villa joining Swansea of all teams have fucking plummeted this morning. What? Currently Evens on Sky bet. The nearest competition is City at 7/1 and then Arsenal and Juve on 10/1.

Would be an incredible move for Swansea.

Edit: This isn't the bookies by the way, this is punters lumping masses of money on it. Someone out there stands to make an absolute ton of profit if Villa goes to Swansea.

Archived