The Hobbit: A Long-Expected Spoiler Movie Thread

Werthead

Jackson still has that childish side to him that results in him doing really over the top, suspension of disbelief breaking stuff just because he thinks it's cool. (See the random avalanche of skulls in RotK extended edition.) But he kept it mostly under check in this film, aside from a few moments like the giant fight, or the way the Great Goblin died.

What was it about the giant fight? The execution or the fact there was a giant fight?

Saw it a few days ago and absolutely loved it. My friends kept complaining how it was way to long and slow, but at the end of it I actually wanted more. I wish LOTR movies were this detailed even if we ended up with six or seven of them. It's been such a long time I saw a movie like this; totally enjoyed PJ's over the top effects. I mean, why not use everything he can. It's Middle Earth!

Being hard of hearing, can anyone confirm for me that the songs sung were from the book or new material? I loved it, but I missed heaps of conversations due to the British accents and those bushy dwarven/wizardly beards (can't read those lips!). I'll have to wait until the DVD shows up with subtitles to see it again.

Being hard of hearing, can anyone confirm for me that the songs sung were from the book or new material? I loved it, but I missed heaps of conversations due to the British accents and those bushy dwarven/wizardly beards (can't read those lips!). I'll have to wait until the DVD shows up with subtitles to see it again.

My son was disappointed they didn't sing the song with the line "the fagots reeking". But I guess since the popular understanding of fagot has changed in the intervening years it's understandable that they left this song out.

i saw it for a second time yesterday, in 48 3D. and seriously i can't understand all the negative reviews... it took me only the very first shot of bilbo getting his book out of the chest to get adjusted to it.. then i completely forgot that it was supposed to be "special 3D".

and as for the 3d alone, i don't have the greatest experience in 3d. i had only seen the nightmare before christmas in 3d and found it a little tiring for my eyes. but with the hobbit i didn't have a single problem

The two at Bag End (Far Over The Msty Mountains Cold and That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates) were from the book.

I also thought that during the White Council Galadriel and possibly also Saruman weren't there in the flesh?

I don't think Saruman was, or rather, Christophe Lee wasn't. His scenes were filmed in London on greenscreens (Lee refused to fly to New Zealand at his age, saying the trip was too arduous), whilst the rest of the scene was filmed in New Zealand. What is not clear is if his scenes in London were filmed with Blanchett, McKellen and Weaving present as well. My understanding is that they were not, and his whole performance had to be composited in.

Something I thought was a bit weird was that they gave Saruman a grey beard, apparently to make him look younger. Yet Gandalf looked exactly the same, which makes sense: given their status as immortal spirits, it's weird that they'd age, and even if they did it would be at such a vastly slow rate they shouldn't look different across a mere 60 years. Couldn't figure that out, and it definitely didn't look right on Saruman.

Something I thought was a bit weird was that they gave Saruman a grey beard, apparently to make him look younger. Yet Gandalf looked exactly the same, which makes sense: given their status as immortal spirits, it's weird that they'd age, and even if they did it would be at such a vastly slow rate they shouldn't look different across a mere 60 years. Couldn't figure that out, and it definitely didn't look right on Saruman.

It actually looks more right because Saruman is supposed to age. He originally had black hair and beard that grew white over time (though still with black bits here and there in TTT) Gandalf looks the same at the end of the third age (pre dying) as he does when he got off the boat. Whether it is just that he aged differently or due to Narya isn't explained.

The best bit of 3D for me, no kidding, was when it rained - for a second or two I was genuinely expecting to get wet! :lol: Overall though I just found the 3D a bit annoying - usually I love it, but compared to eg. those scenes in Fellowship where the camera zooms through the caverns below Isengard, here I was too distracted by having to focus on different bits to get the same feeling of immersion.

Bilbo was awesome, such good casting, and I'm glad they beefed up Thorin from "pompous nonentity" to an actual character. Really looking forward to seeing how they handle his descent into arrogant greed when the Arkenstone comes into play.

Dol Guldur = wonderfully creepy. Not thrilled with Radagast, especially the chase sequence through, er, Rohan, but almost worth it for how funny it was when a guy a few rows down went "Awwwww!" far too loudly at the hedgehog scene. The CGI was pretty ropy, but that could just be an artefact of the 3D - I won't be going to see this again at the cinema, but will certainly give the DVD a go when it's out.

One thing for me- am I the only one unnaturally bugged by Blanchett's Galadriel? I had a long semidrunk conversation with a friend about this last night, and kind of felt like a tool for whining about it, but the way the mind-talking is executed, the way the "in place of a dark lord" speech is handled in FotR, and the way she doesn't seem to act like a person at all... granted, Elrond is younger than her, but he also feels as though he belongs, and she just doesn't. Galadriel stayed in Middle Earth because she was hotheaded and prideful, in the films she somehow comes off as both cartoonish and cold and aloof. I dunno.

I think this is Jackson's somewhat clumsy way of showing us that Elves of the 'Light' (Calaquendi) are uh... different... from other Elves. For all of Elrond's wisdom and power, he's never been to Valinor. Galadriel - the only remaining Elf in Middle Earth who has - is portrayed as other-worldly.

Again, it's not done rather well on screen, but then Tolkien didn't give us much to go on with regard to how exactly the Calaquendi are nobler than the Moriquendi. They just are.

The best bit of 3D for me, no kidding, was when it rained - for a second or two I was genuinely expecting to get wet! :lol: Overall though I just found the 3D a bit annoying - usually I love it, but compared to eg. those scenes in Fellowship where the camera zooms through the caverns below Isengard, here I was too distracted by having to focus on different bits to get the same feeling of immersion.

Bilbo was awesome, such good casting, and I'm glad they beefed up Thorin from "pompous nonentity" to an actual character. Really looking forward to seeing how they handle his descent into arrogant greed when the Arkenstone comes into play.

Dol Guldur = wonderfully creepy. Not thrilled with Radagast, especially the chase sequence through, er, Rohan, but almost worth it for how funny it was when a guy a few rows down went "Awwwww!" far too loudly at the hedgehog scene. The CGI was pretty ropy, but that could just be an artefact of the 3D - I won't be going to see this again at the cinema, but will certainly give the DVD a go when it's out.

I'll have to check out TTT. I thought Rohan was less stony than the territory Radagast had to sleigh through. The CGI of the Radagast vs. wargs chase scene was one of the visual low points. Radagast himself I was fine with. He's a bit goofy but he's also badass enough to disarm one of the 9.

What is not clear is if his scenes in London were filmed with Blanchett, McKellen and Weaving present as well. My understanding is that they were not, and his whole performance had to be composited in

That is correct. Lee stayed in London, and he only shot scenes of himself, the others of the White Council were added to the scenes digitally, or vice versa. This applies for what we will see in the second film as well.

I found it interesting that screenwriter Boyens was asked last week whether Saruman and Radagast would meet in these films, and she replied that she simply could not comment on that, as that was a big spoiler. What with the strong rumours flying around of Radagast dying and Saruman being the likely perpetrator, that comment adds some extra food for thought. According to McCoy, the Radagast staff thing is an important give away as well ( I guess it his staff that Gandalf has in Fellowship, and we will learn why that is the case according to McCoy).

Yes? That's what it says on IMDB. I've never met the guy, so I can't personally vouch for the data.

Min, I'm a right bastard, and even I cuted-out for the hedgehog.

Then I get the need for him being added by bluescreen, seeing as he's 1.78m shorter than McKellen... :leaving:

Archived