Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

I still can't believe these shows aren't streaming.  That should be Syfy's no negotiation stance.  If you're trying to get the network back on track and improve your ratings, first step is to produce good shows.  Next step is to make sure everyone has a really good opportunity to see those shows, even during the hiatus.  The only exceptions should be when the show has so much buzz that it's a given everyone will want to see it, like with GoT or TWD or something (though, one of those shows does stream).  

The Expanse also isn't streaming, which is bullshit.  12 Monkeys went to Hulu I think, which is somehting I guess, though who the fuck uses Hulu.  

Dark Matter has been on Netlfix for some time now, and I think on Amazon, too. But I don't care about that one. I keep waiting for Killjoys to get the same treatment. Sure, I can sit down at my PC and watch it on the SyFy website, but so far I have not been inclined to do so.

Sure Dark Matter is a guilty pleasure, but Killjoys is truly entertaining, the latest three episodes of the season were great ! 

Sure, we're light years away from The Expanse or 12 Monkeys level but still !

6 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm gathering from what I read that Killjoys is superior to Dark Matter, and more worth the gamble to binge...

On a side note, had anyone watched Hunters? ... Good?..... Bad?..... Ugly?

I watched the first three or four episodes. I liked the pilot quite a bit, but the next 2-3 episodes didn't really capitalize on what I thought was a pretty good premise. I am still recording it, and may go back to it at some point and give it another chance. But for now... I'm off it.

7 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm gathering from what I read that Killjoys is superior to Dark Matter, and more worth the gamble to binge...

On a side note, had anyone watched Hunters? ... Good?..... Bad?..... Ugly?

Killjoys had more joy, despite the title.  I'm not sure how either show holds up to a binge, but I'm tuning back into Killjoys and probably not Dark Matter.

I watched a couple of episodes of Hunters.  It was really bad. And also ugly.  

Naah, the latest two episodes of Hunters redeemed (at least a little bit) the beginning of the show... I'm still sticking with it for now, curious to see how it will evolve ! (same for Dark Matter, because despite its lazy writing, it's still a damn good guilty pleasure !)

As for binge-watching Killjoys... well, I dunno about the first episodes, but truly, the latest three of the season were a blast (at least to me), so I think it can be awesome to watch these three in a row ! 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

io9 did a set visit with both Killjoys and Dark Matter.  Suspicious they covered both shows in one article, like we do with one thread. I suspect we have a mole!

Yeah, but for season two we need a separate thread for Killjoys, because, fuck Dark Matter.

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yeah, but for season two we need a separate thread for Killjoys, because, fuck Dark Matter.

Meh, who knows, Dark Matter might improve. Now, I'm not saying I think it will, but maybe now that we're passed the whole amnesia shit, things will start to get a little more interesting. Just because it is on right before Killjoys, I'm still gonna give it a shot, since, while pretty bad, I've sat through worse (I'm looking at you Flash).

• 5 weeks later...

So tonight was the season premeires were tonight, for both shows, just finished Killjoys, and to me, it has picked up right where it left off in terms of quality. It was both funny and exciting throughout, and I feel that they have really nailed the characters and their relationships with each other. I really hope Pree sticks around as part of the crew/group, but I'd also be ok with him being in the same role as last season.

As for Dark Matter, I for sure thought that it was better than last season. There certainly seems to be more going on, and the characters actually seem to have some depth, at least Six/Griffin/Verrik seems to, as he is the most compelling to me (though that's not a surprise, since he is played by the best actor in the series). I'm cautiously optimistic they have learned from last season, and things will be getting strong. Still not as good as Killjoys, but they're showing enough improvement to give them another chance.

Yeah, Killjoys is off to a good start. It brought the action and the fun while adding to the worldbuilding and ongoing mystery.

Plus the characters act in a mature fashion. On many other shows D'avin's lie would have been milked for contrived drama, here he just fesses up and they have a calm conversation about the things that are going on.

Identifying Fancy as a Level 6 so quickly instead of milking it for contrived drama I appreciated.  This show is by the same studio that produces Orphan Black, so perhaps they are cultivating their SF brand around its fast pacing.

I hope Clara & Alice aren't just once or twice a season guest stars, then need to be regulars.

ETA:  I totally missed Clara is played by Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa) from Defiance, as well as American Gothic now.  Guess she's just a guest star then.

She was Samus Aran.    Shhhh!    It's a secret until she puts on the full battle suit & helmet and does the screw attack.

I was very happy with the stuff that happened on the TV (magic box) during this premiere.   So that father-figure guy has been rogue and not really doing what the agency would have liked..... he's an antihero navigating a tricky path through Other People's Apocalypse.  (OPA)--(for fans of The Expanse).    That's exotic enough, then throw in liquid god interface and you've got something shimmering yet gross and compelling but foul and sticky yet infused with apotheosis.

The characters are superb, GrimTuesday.   Including the ship.   Contrast this with the silly ship avatar from Dark Matter, a concept you might have seen on the Kevin Sorbo space show, where they cast a powerful stripper for the role.

Dark Matter:   um..... yes prison is undesireable, congrats on communicating that well.   And amazing timing on [SPOILER!] having that one character's evil twin self appear & kill his newly-decent amnesia self, just as the tabula rossa version of him was showing promise and I was wondering what he might now do with his life.  -->  Dead.   It's like another way of saying, "You can expect us to be spinning our wheels and not going anywhere on this show for some time to come!   If you're waiting for us to get traction, maybe check back in right around the start of Season 5!"

I wish there had been a decent recap of killjoys because I had forgotten so much of the plot during hiatus.  But I guess I caught up well enough.  Killjoys continues to be the superior show.  Better characters, better plot, better pacing.  Looking forward to more.

Dark Matter, on the other hand, is so bland and one-note that I didn't feel like I needed a recap because there is basically nothing to the show beyond "amnesia, crew maybe good maybe bad".  Not sure if I'm willing to stick with it this year.

Archived