Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Difference is, at least Mahrez was a kid from Ligue 2 when Leicester signed him and it took him two seasons to get to where he is this. It's not as if clubs were passing on someone established for no apparent reason. 

Whereas Payet was the most consistently creative player in any of the major leagues in Europe last season. 

I forgot that. I actually thought Mahrez was signed last year. I didn't realize he was signed a season before. You're right about Payet though. He was by far the most creative player in France and no one wanted him.

It's probably time for LvG to go.

We have reached bottom and even if he isn't at fault, we cannot go lower than this so a change in management can do no harm. His reign has been a consistent failure and it is time to end it. I was watching some of the game today and by half time the OT crowd was booing them off the pitch. After 90 minutes, the game had been lost, and United has once again been hopeless , deeply fearful, lacking confidence, and downright unwatchable and cringeworthy to behold..

I cannot recognize this UTD team to the team I saw 5 to 6 years ago. If this was Sunderland playing in United shirts, I would immediately believe you and thinking nothing further of it.

Good to see Leicester keep on winning and City dropping points yet again. Liverpool is a team that rarely convinces, but is one of the best teams to watch week in week out, much like Everton and Spurs.

Payet is just such a great all-round player.  His vision and work ethic are as impressive as his individual skill.  

I would also like to suggest that Winston Reid has quietly become one of the top centre backs in the league.

On on the other hand, I really don't like Alex Song, especially playing as the deepest in a midfield three.  He's just so infuriatingly unpredictable and, at times, straight-up lazy.

Also, Carl Jenkinson is having a truly terrible season.  I'd feel bad for him if he wasn't playing for my club.  

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I just watched the 'Pool game. After outplaying Utd but losing, we were dogshit for most of today but managed to win. Most of the team played poorly either individually or failing to fit with team mates. Only Firmino, Clyne and Lallana played well individually..

Firmino has been great lately. All his best games for us have been when he has played up top which is interesting. 

Firmino has been great lately. All his best games for us have been when he has played up top which is interesting. 

I agree. Today he looked a bit like Suarez. If he had Sturridge or even Ings playing ahead of him and making runs behind the defenders we would have been even more dangerous.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Not really, no. This is as bad as it gets in terms of football on display.

Chelsea are currently in a relegation scrap without actually offering anything more entertaining than we are. As bad as LvG's tenure is, it gets worse. If we actually have a candidate to bring in, maybe it's time. If it's gonna be Giggs, I have absolutely no confidence that things aren't going to fall apart further. 

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Despite my mockery of him, I do confess that Firmino has been surprisingly good in the false-9 sort of role; he's got the movement for it and has certainly affected games more than when he was being a creative mid. 
However, I'd tentatively put forward that calling him 'great' is a bit of a stretch. 

37 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Chelsea are currently in a relegation scrap without actually offering anything more entertaining than we are. As bad as LvG's tenure is, it gets worse. If we actually have a candidate to bring in, maybe it's time. If it's gonna be Giggs, I have absolutely no confidence that things aren't going to fall apart further. 

You're probably going to get Mourinho. Well, you will if his six-page sob-story letter manages to thrum the heartstrings of the United board.

Even for him, this is pretty sleazy.

ETA: Seeing accusations of a fabricated story. I couldn't believe it when I read it, so it's probably just bullshit.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

However, I'd tentatively put forward that calling him 'great' is a bit of a stretch. 

That's fair :D maybe great is too strong a word but he was definitely our best player today and vs Arsenal. I personally don't think he's been near as bad as you've made him out to be in previous weeks so it evens out. 

Rudd was pretty awful for Norwich today. I don't think we would have scored more than two against a decent GK. Still, at least there's some fight and belief in the team. And it's not boring. Unpredictable and infuriating, yes, but not boring. 

Amazing game for Liverpool versus Norwich. I thought Norwich were the better side, except at defending - which is what matters. Some of the goals they conceded were just truly awful. Liverpool's weren't good either, but that backpass, the lack of defending on Henderson, at the end leaving 3 on 3 at the back and the midfield letting Lalana beat them back, truly another level of awfulness.

Feel really bad for Pinto, Naismith and others who did a lot to earn at least a point. 

Missed all the games yesterday but managed to catch some extended highlights of a few games. That Liverpool/Norwich game was crazy. Not much quality football on show and both sides were horrible defensively but it was entertaining as hell. Lallana made a big difference when he came on.

Nice to see Leicester still going strong. Honestly, I thought they would have started to slip by now but there is no sign of that happening. Elimination from the FA Cup might be a blessing and they can now focus all their effort on the league. I still don't see them as serious title contenders but, aside from Arsenal and City, I'd say they are favourites for a top 4 place.

Saved the worst for last - our game v. Southampton. Yet another dire display, or par for the course this season. Managing only one shot on target playing at home is simply unacceptable and it's not as though this is the first time this has happened. We are officially the most boring side in the league. Don't know where LVG goes from here - the side has stagnated, if not gone backwards. A change of management might be in order but it is unlikely that will happen before the end of the season. NOT Giggs or Mourinho, please!

Fuck me, that pool game was tense. Ate my heart out. I thought it was all over at that Norwich goal at extra time, but Pool dragged it back! I am glad  Klopp is sticking with Firmino up front, because that's when Pool created the most chances. Finishing isn't where it needs to be, but i will take it!

I want Martinez out. 

Before December, he was banging on about us being in a good position and how the next 10-12 games would define our season. Well, like last season, we're playing December and January like a team stuck in a relegation fight. 

His utter inability to turn a negative trend around, added to his embarrasingly non-existent ability to coach defence, means that he'll never be more than a middling manager. A team with some sort of ambition - Everton says they are - can't have such a manager. 

In addition, we have to deal with his pathological positiveness. Which now means that every postitive word he says is treated like delusional hyperbole. 

Sure, he's assembled a good squad. He just isn't the man who can do something with it. Get rid.

Archived