Beverages You Are Consuming. Prithee, Tell Us About Them.

Xray the Enforcer

I don't know where you are, but we have it in Ohio! I don't care much for wheat or sweet beers, but my wife is a fan.

Just got back from the store :) Gluten-free be damned.

And try it with a regular Shock Top...do 1/2 and 1/2 and its perfect.

Since I have no desire to leave my apartment, I'm about to heat some apple cider up and pour Fireball whiskey into it.

Couple years agao, this would usually be the point in my night where the movie screen swirls and cues up the drunken hijinks montage.

Now i'll probably be reading, playing video games, and going to bed at a sensible hour...

After a day that consisted of waiting an hour and a half at the car dealership only for them to tell me that they will have to order the part, and then come home to find that my husband had cracked the screen on my brand new laptop and that it's not covered by warranty, I need something strong.

Unfortunately, I have heartburn at the moment, so I will have to settle for water and some protonics. Today absolutely effing sucked.

Corona is better without a lime. #hotbeertakes

I let the goddamn bartender talk me into a boulevardier with chocolate bitters (they call it a Left Hand) rather than a normal Boulevardier. That fucker. Anyone ever have a good experience with chocolate bitters in a drink that wasn't explicitly meant to be dessert?

At least the Sazerac at the previous bar was on point.

I should probably eat something tonight, I have serious drinking to do tomorrow.

Corona is better without a lime. #hotbeertakes

I let the goddamn bartender talk me into a boulevardier with chocolate bitters (they call it a Left Hand) rather than a normal Boulevardier. That fucker. Anyone ever have a good experience with chocolate bitters in a drink that wasn't explicitly meant to be dessert?

At least the Sazerac at the previous bar was on point.

I should probably eat something tonight, I have serious drinking to do tomorrow.

I agree.

ETA: Wish I could help you with the chocolate.

Gin martini.

Its pretty good. But I'm not much of a gin drinker, whiskey is my usual go-to drink. I'm trying to get more into gin though. Anyone have a suggestion for a good mid-range gin? Right now I'm just drinking Seagram's.

We had the RuinTen last Friday night - couldn't finish mine. That barleysugar sweetness just... it was an effort to drink. Think I might have become incompatible with Stone beers.

Had another crack at the Beavertown/Napabier collab, Bone King, last night. An almost perfect DIPA. Similar to Pliny but more sherberty fruit than resinous pine.

Gin martini.

Its pretty good. But I'm not much of a gin drinker, whiskey is my usual go-to drink. I'm trying to get more into gin though. Anyone have a suggestion for a good mid-range gin? Right now I'm just drinking Seagram's.

Bit of cocktail pedantry: "gin martini" is redundant. A Martini is, by definition, made with gin as the base spirit. It's when one uses other base spirits (e.g. vodka), or if one wishes to specify which gin, does one use a modifier. For example, at a higher-end bar with a good all-purpose gin, I'll order "martini, up, with a twist." But if I'm at a middling bar that has shitty well gin, then it's "Hendricks* martini, up, with a twist." (*or whatever suitable gin they have on hand). /pedant

As for good mid-range gins, try Brokers. $22 or so will get you a liter, and it's a very good all-purpose gin. Our other all-purpose gin is Plymouth, which is excellent in pretty much everything. Bombay Sapphire is the one ubiquitous gin we've found that will work in all cocktails and for a wide variety of palates, but it's way down on the scale of desirability if more interesting gins are on offer. Our latest gin of choice is Perry's Tot, a navy-strength gin distilled in Brooklyn. That shit is unfuckwithable but, by god, you had better have had a meal before you light into that dram. Some very gnarly evenings have resulted from drinking Perry's Tot martinis on an insufficient base. Dear LAWD.

Blu-ray -- I don't think I've ever had a cocktail that called for chocolate bitters, and I am rather surprised that the bartender thought it'd work in a goddamned Boulevardier. I could see if working in, say, a drink with a mezcal base though. The smokey booze would help offset/support something as pungent as chocolate bitters. BTW -- love me a Boulevardier. Such a great cocktail.

Christ what a weekend. I've drunk so much.

Pints include

- Empire IPA

- Director's Courage

- Jack the Devil

- Blues

- Jaipur IPA

- Magic Rock, something or other, don't recall the specific name.

- Red Fox

- Dead Pony Club

- Black and White (5p per pint goes to Newcastle United Supporters club)

I hope that Magic Rock beer was Bearded Lady

Of the many beers we've sampled this afternoon, our current: Lagunitas Sucks.

And let me just say, it most certainly does not suck.

Love that beer! Are you familiar with the story behind the name? I guess they had ordered some new equipment in order to expand production, but there was an issue getting it set up in time (I believe the boat it was on sank, but don't quote me on that), so they weren't able to complete all the orders they had for their highly sought after Brown Shugga. "Lagunitas sucks!" was what everyone was saying, so when they brewed a mea culpa beer that's what they decided to call it.

At least that's what the friendly and knowledgeable owner of the local craft beer store told me, so if I'm wrong, blame him!

Recently cut back on drinking quite a bit, but I still enjoy one or two on a Saturday night. Finally found some Bell's Expedition Stout for this weekend, people keep telling me how good it is and I love me a Russian Imperial.

I'm making some chili pepper infused vodka to try an experiment with. Spicy chocolate vodka martini. I figure it will either be disgusting or amazing (probably the former honestly). In any case, I'll end up with spicy vodka in a few weeks time. Win-win.

Hendricks* martini, up, with a twist.

:thumbsup:

A personal favorite, but I prefer mine dirty.

Bit of cocktail pedantry: "gin martini" is redundant. A Martini is, by definition, made with gin as the base spirit. It's when one uses other base spirits (e.g. vodka), or if one wishes to specify which gin, does one use a modifier. For example, at a higher-end bar with a good all-purpose gin, I'll order "martini, up, with a twist." But if I'm at a middling bar that has shitty well gin, then it's "Hendricks* martini, up, with a twist." (*or whatever suitable gin they have on hand). /pedant

As for good mid-range gins, try Brokers. $22 or so will get you a liter, and it's a very good all-purpose gin. Our other all-purpose gin is Plymouth, which is excellent in pretty much everything. Bombay Sapphire is the one ubiquitous gin we've found that will work in all cocktails and for a wide variety of palates, but it's way down on the scale of desirability if more interesting gins are on offer. Our latest gin of choice is Perry's Tot, a navy-strength gin distilled in Brooklyn. That shit is unfuckwithable but, by god, you had better have had a meal before you light into that dram. Some very gnarly evenings have resulted from drinking Perry's Tot martinis on an insufficient base. Dear LAWD.

You may very well be technically correct. However, in my experience, even at very high end bars (in the US at least), if I just say "I'll have a martini." They'll ask me "Gin or vodka?" Vodka's replacement of gin as the go-to spirit for martinis has spread too widely for bartenders to assume which one people want without specifying.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

Archived